The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Appreciation Thread

fpupulin

According to an Instagram post I read recently by a well-known pen store in Italy Montblanc will definitely release a 146 with the calligraphy flex nib, but the timing is not known. Judging by comments here I think it will be one that a number of forum members may wish to start saving for.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• invisuu

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, invisuu said:

After further spending much more time with this pen, I have to say this is the best nib I have ever written with. It's simply amazing. It requires work put in to be able to understand it, but once you do, it's so satisfying. 

I'm certain I have a lot to learn still, and I am looking forward to it.

732888F9-F951-4744-888C-0518D29255C3.jpeg

That's definitively something beautiful! The thin / broad of the strokes, the shading of the ink as this pen releases it in a controlled way...  Oh yes! It is a great nib. Bravo!

28 minutes ago, MoriartyR said:

According to an Instagram post I read recently by a well-known pen store in Italy Montblanc will definitely release a 146 with the calligraphy flex nib, but the timing is not known. Judging by comments here I think it will be one that a number of forum members may wish to start saving for.

Thank you my friend for this great new (or confirmation)! 

I am also sure that a lot of pen lovers are waiting for a new release of the Flexible Calligraphy nib, and I know that many of them would perhaps prefer the size of the 146 over the the larger 149.  Very good job, Montblanc!

After having kept it washed and rested for almost three weeks, to give some of my other dear pens time to get back to work without competition, I could no longer resist and re-inked my Calligraphy with Montblanc Permanent Black.

What a magic pen!

I celebrate her return to writing with a fantasy of calligraphic styles, a celebration of my appreciation for this most unique fountain pen. 

690355776_PraisetotheMontblancMeistertuck149CaligraphyFP.thumb.jpg.859739efd71c84f817af3607a7849175.jpg

1 hour ago, MoriartyR said:

Thank you for the heads up. I actually prefer the 149 in my hands, so I don't think I'll be getting that one. I wonder how others feel about it - going for relatively same nib in a smaller pen?

1 hour ago, invisuu said:

Thank you for the heads up. I actually prefer the 149 in my hands, so I don't think I'll be getting that one. I wonder how others feel about it - going for relatively same nib in a smaller pen?

Given that I also prefer for myself the size and girth of the 149, I have to say that I learnt from my experience with vintage flexible nibs by OMAS that the size of the nib is quite unimportant to the writing experience.

OMAS Extra and Extra Lucens nibs are deliciously flexible in both the Senior and Junior size, and even in the much smaller Lady size.

If Montblanc will do with their No. 6 nib the same wonderful work they have done with No. 9, I am sure they will produce a fantastic 146 flex, for the joy of the many fans of this model.

was itching to do this for some time - roughly comparing a nib from the 50s vs the calligraphy, excuse the handwriting

mb 149 silver rings vs mb 149 calligraphy.jpg

On 4/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, lionelc said:

was itching to do this for some time - roughly comparing a nib from the 50s vs the calligraphy, excuse the handwriting

mb 149 silver rings vs mb 149 calligraphy.jpg

A beautiful comparison, lionelc!

It is my impression that the new pen holds quite well, in the example you posted, against a sacred pen like the Silver rings.

would you mind, when you have a chance, posting a shot of the two nibs close each other? Thank you.

Thanks to the splendid book by Hildebrandt, "Calligraphy Flourishing", of which I recently bought a copy that the author had signed for a friend, but above all thanks to my 149 Calligraphy, which does not want to rest, I have "flourished" a calligraphic exercise.

58A801C6-7F1E-46E7-899F-5AAC0D404562.thumb.jpeg.f44b462f47d87b9571c011146888c3f9.jpeg

B92FFD4C-BD89-4BFF-B48D-607F6F77F83C.thumb.jpeg.c20bae2bf60c76652b7e0787ac7f0162.jpeg

As you can see from the photograph, trying and trying again, flourishing and flourishing again on different papers with MB Black Permanent ink, step by step, you learn and improve ...

2F1AB68C-7C74-4915-BB03-4AB8C8FC73F2.thumb.jpeg.299184855f0b25db50183371dfc30e12.jpeg

1 hour ago, kazoolaw said:

I never tire of being jealous of your skills.

And I am never tired of your kind words, my friend... Thank you!

I just noted that the image of the "fantasy of calligraphic styles", of which I was speaking a few posts up, has mysteriously disappeared from the thread.

I re-post it here:

694460764_PraisetotheMontblancMeistertuck149CaligraphyFP.thumb.jpg.256b03b4d303911c4fd58ec8688c84c2.jpg

6 hours ago, fpupulin said:

It is my impression that the new pen holds quite well, in the example you posted, against a sacred pen like the Silver rings

probably heretical for me to say but the new calligraphy 149 is on par with the silver rings.  i practise thin lines / thick lines with the 149 calligraphy while the silver rings being a bit smaller and a medium nib i use for everyday writing - have attached pictures of the nibs.

as always - franco your writing motivates me to keep up with my calligraphy exercises.

mb149 nib.jpg

mb 149 feed.jpg

11 hours ago, fpupulin said:

I just noted that the image of the "fantasy of calligraphic styles", of which I was speaking a few posts up, has mysteriously disappeared from the thread.

I re-post it here:

694460764_PraisetotheMontblancMeistertuck149CaligraphyFP.thumb.jpg.256b03b4d303911c4fd58ec8688c84c2.jpg

Jesus Christ, how many fonts do you know ?! Where did you pick them up from? I love the 7th from top to bottom ("Evaluation") - can I get full alphabet for it? Is there a book you'd recommend? This is amazing! 

You probably sold more of these pens than the MB marketing team :D

On 4/15/2021 at 3:18 PM, lionelc said:

probably heretical for me to say but the new calligraphy 149 is on par with the silver rings.  i practise thin lines / thick lines with the 149 calligraphy while the silver rings being a bit smaller and a medium nib i use for everyday writing - have attached pictures of the nibs.

as always - franco your writing motivates me to keep up with my calligraphy exercises.

mb149 nib.jpg

mb 149 feed.jpg

Thanks you so much for taking the time to take and post the photos!

From your calligraphic tests I had imagined that the nib of your 149 Silver Rings was a fine, or at least with a wider tip than the extra fine of the Calligraphy nib.

It is really nice to know that someone is using their Silver Rings as an everyday pen!

16 hours ago, invisuu said:

Jesus Christ, how many fonts do you know ?! Where did you pick them up from? I love the 7th from top to bottom ("Evaluation") - can I get full alphabet for it? Is there a book you'd recommend? This is amazing! 

You probably sold more of these pens than the MB marketing team :D

What I normally do is search the net for the word "font" or "calligraphic fonts". There are many pages that collect typographic fonts, and some show uppercase and lowercase letters on one screen. In this case, I make a screen shot and then print it, to have my "encyclopedia" of fonts to copy and modify to my taste.

The specific font you asked me about is called Avalon, and I often use it for my calligraphic divertissements and also - more or less modified - for common writing.

1258168164_Montblanc149CalligraphyAvalonFP.thumb.jpg.40a229262c6e9001cab928b3c410901d.jpg

As for the issue of marketing, I think Montblanc would have sold its Calligraphy 149s with or without my opinions. However, I'm happy to believe that the posts on this forum helped someone make a purchase decision for a pen that I find truly unique and extraordinarily flexible, both literally and figuratively..

6 hours ago, fpupulin said:

From your calligraphic tests I had imagined that the nib of your 149 Silver Rings was a fine, or at least with a wider tip than the extra fine of the Calligraphy nib.

good guess - the silver rings is a 1950s medium - agree that it looks like it leans towards the finer side of medium.  

Thank you for the hints on fonts, I will definitely look that up. Also thank you for the whole alphabet of Avalon!

On 4/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, fpupulin said:

If Montblanc will do with their No. 6 nib the same wonderful work they have done with No. 9, I am sure they will produce a fantastic 146 flex, for the joy of the many fans of this model.

Montblanc has already released a flex no.6 nib, around the same time as the 149 Calligraphy. It is the gold leaf solitaire with.the gold coloured nib.

I asked when the next solitaire is due to arrive, as it is delayed. This is the gold and gradient burgundy solitaire. My local Montblance boutique in Shenzhen said Q1 2022.