Efnir: Akkerman Oranje Boven

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Akkerman Oranje Boven

This is review #18 in my series, with 100+ to go... Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.AkkermanOranjeBoven.jpg.82bb6cc6a389b4993f9b0dbe26702eab.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.AkkermanOranjeBovenS.jpg.7db57b469ef584a8cef9767dc9145443.jpg

Zoomed in photo (the aura / halo around the letters is an artifact of the photo, it's not there in real life):

large.AkkermanOranjeBovenZ.jpg.fb1dbeb0ece67397a046d1bb47bb2520.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Pilot Blue/Black.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Bo Bo Olson

• Karmachanic

Oranjeboom to you too! :)

:lol: That made me laugh, but I don't know why. Is there meaning behind Oranjeboom, or does it just sound good?

(I was really disappointed to learn that "Oranje Boven" was "orange above" - apparently in reference to the royal family - and not "orange cow" - which sounds much more fun.)

:lol: That made me laugh, but I don't know why. Is there meaning behind Oranjeboom, or does it just sound good?

Ancient Dutch brewery. There are those who may prefer its product to the ink :o

Add lightness and simplicate.

Great job, Liz. This is to quote someone "Retia searing" colour......

From what I gathered Oranje Boven is a folk song/ Lied.....

A resistance song and originally in homage to the William of Orange...

I'm sure our Dutch members would pitch in and enlighten us more :)

Ancient Dutch brewery. There are those who may prefer its product to the ink :o

Ah. Somehow, I suspect there are more who prefer its product to the ink - but they don't know what they're missing! ;)

Great job, Liz. This is to quote someone "Retia searing" colour......

From what I gathered Oranje Boven is a folk song/ Lied.....

A resistance song and originally in homage to the William of Orange...

I'm sure our Dutch members would pitch in and enlighten us more :)

Agreed, definitely retina searing - but that's the great thing about it. That, and the indescribable pleasantness of using it with puzzle-paper.

I don't remember anything about resistance or William of Orange when I looked up what the name means, but then, I looked for what the Akkerman ink name means, so their inspiration may be different from the song, not sure. But yes, enlightenment welcome!

(But I'm pretty sure my brain is always going to "hear" orange bovine.)

Edited by LizEF

I don't remember anything about resistance or William of Orange when I looked up what the name means, bu then, I looked for what the Akkerman ink name means, so their inspiration may be different from the song, not sure. But yes, enlightenment welcome!

(But I'm pretty sure my brain is always going to "hear" orange bovine.)

That's what I gathered from google translate from the Dutch Wikipedia..... :)

Most associate the phrase "Oranje Boven" with overly-merry Dutch football fans encouraging their (occasionally) brilliant team. And btw that's the Netherlands behind me in the profile pic, that is.

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Most associate the phrase "Oranje Boven" with overly-merry Dutch football fans encouraging their (occasionally) brilliant team. And btw that's the Netherlands behind me in the profile pic, that is.

:) I'm beginning to suspect that this is one of those phrases which has lots of cultural application!

My eyes! My eyes!

But I happen to love eye-searing orange inks, even with the nib crud problem. Thanks for your addictive reviews.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My eyes! My eyes!

But I happen to love eye-searing orange inks, even with the nib crud problem. Thanks for your addictive reviews.

:lol: This ink really is fabulous. A good excuse to buy an Akkerman bottle! Glad to feed your addiction, or drain your wallet, or help you find satisfying additions to your hobby, or whatever it is I'm doing. :P

Not just football. I can remember Dutch fans at the Olympics singing it whenever any of their athletes competed (particularly in sports like speed skating), and also maybe at the Opening Ceremonies.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Not a fan of orange inks, so I'll pass on this (unless of course I can talk my husband into another pen, since he's "Mr. BIC Fine Point"; of course it would also help if I can talk him into actually USING the VP with the EF nib I gave him...; right now it's got probably completely dried up Namiki Black in it... :angry:).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks good! From the blow-out and the scribbles in the written text, this seems to be a red-leaning orange. Can you confirm this ? That would make it sufficiently different from my other oranges to deserve a place on my wishlist. In the meantime, I’ll dig up one of the other oranges and fill up a demonstrator ... because I agree with you - oranges look great in clear pens.

Thanks for showing this ink so beautifully.

A Bridge Too Far (1977)....

You can hear them liberated Dutch singing Oranje Boven, (15 seconds in the video)

Edited by yazeh

Looks good! From the blow-out and the scribbles in the written text, this seems to be a red-leaning orange. Can you confirm this ? That would make it sufficiently different from my other oranges to deserve a place on my wishlist. In the meantime, I’ll dig up one of the other oranges and fill up a demonstrator ... because I agree with you - oranges look great in clear pens.

Thanks for showing this ink so beautifully.

I think the written text actually looks more accurate than the blow-up in this case - the blow-up leans too red (different cameras used). It's certainly to the red side of orange, not the yellow side - in the video, it sits next to Apache Sunset which is very yellow, but still somewhat orange. To me, Oranje Boven is a very "true" orange, but who knows what that really means! I'd say it's at least worth a sample.

You're welcome! (And the camera kinda deserves the credit for any beauty - it liked this ink.)

A Bridge Too Far (1977)....

You can hear them liberated Dutch singing Oranje Boven, (15 seconds in the video)

Thanks! Yes, I can hear it clearly - obviously, a very meaningful phrase for the Dutch. (But in my mind, I'm still seeing a black and white cow with the black spots orange. :P )

From this Dutchie: a lot of your suggestions is true about Oranje Boven. It is an exclamation, sung like an old childrens song and it is to honour the Dutch queens that reigned the Netherlands: queen Emma (regentes) queen Wilhelmina, queen Juliana and queen Beatrix. As for the present we have a King Willem Alexander and his wife queen Maxima.

"Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de Koningin!" Koningin means queen in Dutch. 'Boven' is not a cow but 'up' or 'on top'.

Our flag (Red-white-blue) gets an orange pennant on top at the kings birthday. Oranje (orange) was in history a French county where Willem (one of our forebears of the king) lived by its title Willem of Orange. The house of Oranje is synonimus with nationalistic feelings and pride. That is why the Dutch like to use the color orange in national and international sports, as a statement next to the more 'usual' tricolor.

It is simply a bold and beautiful color, and so is Akkermans' Oranje Boven. :-) Lovely, bold color.

Edited by laureat

" Go with the inkflow, my friend "

From this Dutchie: a lot of your suggestions is true about Oranje Boven. It is an exclamation, sung like an old childrens song and it is to honour the Dutch queens that reigned the Netherlands: queen Emma (regentes) queen Wilhelmina, queen Juliana and queen Beatrix. As for the present we have a King Willem Alexander and his wife queen Maxima.

"Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de Koningin!" Koningin means queen in Dutch.

Our flag (Red-white-blue) gets an orange pennant on top on the kings birthday. Oranje (orange) was in history a French county where Willem (one of our forebears of the king) lived by its title Willem of Orange. The house of Oranje is synonimus with nationalistic feelings and pride. That is why the Dutch like to use the color orange in national and international sports, as a statement next to the more 'usual' tricolor.

It is simply a bold and beautiful color, and so is Akkermans' Oranje Boven. :-) Lovely, bold color.

I enjoyed learning about all the nuances.... thanks for sharing them...... :)