Efnir: Akkerman Oranje Boven

LizEF

From this Dutchie: a lot of your suggestions is true about Oranje Boven. It is an exclamation, sung like an old childrens song and it is to honour the Dutch queens that reigned the Netherlands: queen Emma (regentes) queen Wilhelmina, queen Juliana and queen Beatrix. As for the present we have a King Willem Alexander and his wife queen Maxima.

"Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de Koningin!" Koningin means queen in Dutch.

Our flag (Red-white-blue) gets an orange pennant on top on the kings birthday. Oranje (orange) was in history a French county where Willem (one of our forebears of the king) lived by its title Willem of Orange. The house of Oranje is synonimus with nationalistic feelings and pride. That is why the Dutch like to use the color orange in national and international sports, as a statement next to the more 'usual' tricolor.

It is simply a bold and beautiful color, and so is Akkermans' Oranje Boven. :-) Lovely, bold color.

Thanks, laureat! Love learning about all the meaning behind this color. And yes, it is bold. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Bo Bo Olson

• Karmachanic

Thank you for introducing us to new inks in your outstanding reviews.

You're welcome! :)

• 1 year later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 270µm.

large.AkkermanOranjeBovenLW.jpg.2f6ed648367e2d951a59ccd83f85841c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Years ago a nice poster gave me a slew of Akkerman samples, which got put up out of sight in sight.

Unfortunately this orange don't shade....but sure is more lively that MB Orange.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

45 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Unfortunately this orange don't shade

True, but boy does it get in your face! :lol:  I love how bright and orange and bold it is.

It is bright, that is for sure.

Put it in my 400nn tortoise semi-flex  EF. The lines of the 400nn tortoise are narrower than my '54 transition 400. Which may be why the 400nn, appears a tiny bit darker.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Years ago a nice poster gave me a slew of Akkerman samples, which got put up out of sight in sight.

Unfortunately this orange don't shade....but sure is more lively that MB Orange.

You would want Diamine blaze orange then, a shading orange, yet still bright.

(I think the Akkerman is Diamine Orange repackaged)

Diamine makes Akkerman inks, but they are not  Diamine inks, ...exactly....not repackaged.

Slightly different.

At least that was the wisdom from long ago.