Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today? 2020 + 21


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

I got this beauty in the mail today:

 

H0fe8d471be2345f1b98785f4a69d81a3B.jpg


I haven't got the foggiest what it is, because the seller listed it in typical non-descript AliExpress jargon and the pen itself doesn't sport a brand of any kind. The nib is one of those standard 0.5mm "iridium point" specimens, but holy moly, this is one pleasant little pen. 

Congrats, @Bikerchick! Nice colour! 

My Chinese pen for today is vintage dark red ebonite "Doctor pen", circa 1940. 

20210511_163227-1.thumb.jpg.e28beadc25f4b9b14297b22ca4ba61c4.jpg

20210511_163249-1.thumb.jpg.a1d3307b88446d3a9dcae83762ed8054.jpg

Here is vintage newspaper clipping.

30474467717a35663176.jpg.0f492420b30b711c40998014984fba88.jpg

 

Regards, Alexey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Helen350

    51

  • Mech-for-i

    22

  • AmandaW

    19

  • Bikerchick

    22

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, readytotalk said:

Congrats, @Bikerchick! Nice colour! 

My Chinese pen for today is vintage dark red ebonite "Doctor pen", circa 1940. 

20210511_163227-1.thumb.jpg.e28beadc25f4b9b14297b22ca4ba61c4.jpg

20210511_163249-1.thumb.jpg.a1d3307b88446d3a9dcae83762ed8054.jpg

Here is vintage newspaper clipping.

30474467717a35663176.jpg.0f492420b30b711c40998014984fba88.jpg

 

I'm not going to lie, Alexey, I am slightly envious of your impressive collection of vintage Chinese pens. This is another gorgeous one. How does it write? 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

 

My other passion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

This is another gorgeous one. How does it write? 

Stiff nib with definite feedback, but due to open nib slit it reminds me... well, maybe vintage Duofolds, or some well-tuned Japanese nibs like Sailor in F size.

It seems the nib starts just a moment before it touches the paper) 

I rarely write with this pen and try to keep it safe, but... temptation is irresistible)

Regards, Alexey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been playing with a recently purchased PenBBS 487 magnet filler. The mechanism is definitely a bit dodgy but it worked in the end. I like the long section and the pen sits nicely in my hand. And the F nib writes beautifully.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today`s choice is Wing Sung 102 - possibly earliest Parker 51 clone with 12K conical nib. The most distinctive visible difference is the rubber sac under the blind cap). if this moment is excluded - the similarity with Parker is striking) 

20210511_160725-1.thumb.jpg.973f63ba2b3f85d449262989de2e3f4e.jpg

20210511_160833-1.thumb.jpg.198bff2804531be1bfe6468738575511.jpg  

Regards, Alexey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, readytotalk said:

Today`s choice is Wing Sung 102 - possibly earliest Parker 51 clone with 12K conical nib. The most distinctive visible difference is the rubber sac under the blind cap). if this moment is excluded - the similarity with Parker is striking) 

20210511_160725-1.thumb.jpg.973f63ba2b3f85d449262989de2e3f4e.jpg

20210511_160833-1.thumb.jpg.198bff2804531be1bfe6468738575511.jpg  

wow... and i thought the 601 was a good clone... this is disturbing.

how is the performance? is it worth it to hunt one down in your opinion?

 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moonman 80S  - F. nib (writes likes a F/M)   Ink:  deAtramentis Adular Blue

Sheaffer Lead Pencil

 

 

WIN_20210526_13_32_09_Pro.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is the 80s? How does the nib performance compare to a parker 45?

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

How is the 80s? How does the nib performance compare to a parker 45?

 

My 80s is a pretty smooth writer with a bit of feedback.  Writes best with a

wet ink.  Do not own a Parker 45, so, therefore, cannot compare the two.

My only hooded nib pens are the Jinhao 616, Jinhao 51A, Moonman 80S,

Katsuma (Japanese made), and the smoothest of them all the Haolilai 86

(no longer made).  My Haolilai writes buttery smooth and I have owned it

for about 13-14 yrs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Helen350 said:

 

My 80s is a pretty smooth writer with a bit of feedback.  Writes best with a

wet ink.  Do not own a Parker 45, so, therefore, cannot compare the two.

My only hooded nib pens are the Jinhao 616, Jinhao 51A, Moonman 80S,

Katsuma (Japanese made), and the smoothest of them all the Haolilai 86

(no longer made).  My Haolilai writes buttery smooth and I have owned it

for about 13-14 yrs.

 

Cool. Sounds about how my 45s handle. Thanks :) 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

wow... and i thought the 601 was a good clone... this is disturbing.

how is the performance? is it worth it to hunt one down in your opinion?

The overall impression is very good. Apparently, the task was to create a real clone, not semblance.

The pen is made of sturdy hard plastic (I guess it`s lucite or something very similar), scratch-proof and well-polished.

Very smooth 12K nib, it looks and feels almost identical to Parker 51.

I can recommend it, definitely, if there is a chance to buy.

Regards, Alexey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And here is a "Xing Fu" from 1950s, the predecessor of "Lucky", another combination "conical nib / transparent section".

20200531_152216.thumb.jpg.4b6a470dd69a57735f7bf881adcb4310.jpg

Regards, Alexey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, readytotalk said:

The overall impression is very good. Apparently, the task was to create a real clone, not semblance.

The pen is made of sturdy hard plastic (I guess it`s lucite or something very similar), scratch-proof and well-polished.

Very smooth 12K nib, it looks and feels almost identical to Parker 51.

I can recommend it, definitely, if there is a chance to buy.

Thanks

 I’ve got a search up for it, but no luck so far. 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Several months ago, I ordered a Wing Sung 380 from AE.  The conical nib had a bit of a break-in period but after a few refills, it wrote beautifully. It did come with a flaw: the ring under the nib isn't perfectly round so there's the smallest of gaps between it and the bottom of the nib. As I tend to hold my pens quite low on the section, this always results in ink on my index finger when I write with this pen. 


Any excuse is good enough to order a new pen, so a few weeks ago, I bought another 380 (which came as part of a package deal). Much to my surprise, it is smaller and thinner than my first 380, and the nib is significantly smaller too. I had no idea this 380 came in different sizes. 

 

The first edition:

 

MOIeQWS.jpg

 

The new one on the right:

 

lPErSJM.jpg

 

The difference in nib sizes:

 

C3xPtij.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

 

My other passion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yangtze 90 - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Aurora Borealis

Jinhao 777 - Demonstrator - F. nib.  Ink:  Akkerman Scharlaken van Jan Steen

WIN_20210616_23_37_46_Pro.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Helen350 said:

Yangtze 90 - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Aurora Borealis

Jinhao 777 - Demonstrator - F. nib.  Ink:  Akkerman Scharlaken van Jan Steen

WIN_20210616_23_37_46_Pro.jpg


That Yangtze kind of reminds me of my Hei Long Jiang 90:

 

Vintage-HEILONGJIANG-YOULIAN-2000-Founta

Does the Yangtze have a secret compartment under the top finial too? 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

 

My other passion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bikerchick said:


That Yangtze kind of reminds me of my Hei Long Jiang 90:

 

Vintage-HEILONGJIANG-YOULIAN-2000-Founta

Does the Yangtze have a secret compartment under the top finial too? 

No secret compartment.  Likes the looks of your pen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crocodile  168 - M. nib.  Ink:  Iroshizuku Kon Peki

Jinhao 777 - F/M nib.  Ink:  Diamine Apple Glory

WIN_20210619_11_12_36_Pro.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hero 329 (Fine nib) is always one of my favorites. 

Planning to buy a Hero 100 or WingSung 601. Wanna try how the 14k nib writes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37779
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      30892
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25594
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • Matthew TWP
      @Ruaidhri This was an absolutely wonderful bit of writing, and I hope that you're able to maintain the style once all of the medications are out of your system.  Take care and recover quickly!
    • Dr.X
      Very punny daniel
    • danielfalgerho
      These comments make me sad as I sympathise with Ruaidhri, having great difficulties in being taken seriously. Or being taken at all (no off-colors jokes, please!) In spite of overwhelming odds,  Ruaidhri -now I know how to spell it- made a courageous decision and stuck to it. I was diagnosed with a similar growth in a place I will not reveal. Oh, well, if you insist it was Mount Sinai Hospital. But I firmly intend to walk in Ruaidhri's footsteps, if he will let me, on my next visit to Dublin.
    • ParramattaPaul
      Reminds me of the day my associates and I developed a cure for all mankind's ills and mistakenly wrote it down with invisible ink.
    • AnneD
      Was that the end of the Laboratory? Somehow the exactitude created a fully destructive device, as always!
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 11 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 11 months
  • Random Adverts

  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. aebaxter
      aebaxter
      (40 years old)
    2. ahannover
      ahannover
      (57 years old)
    3. alienette
      alienette
      (41 years old)
    4. attercop
      attercop
      (31 years old)
    5. BananaArmy123
      BananaArmy123
      (33 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...