Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today? 2020 + 21



Recommended Posts

inkstainedruth
On 12/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, Mech-for-i said:

I've been using the Hong Dian 920 White with rose gold trim for a week , pretty understated but yet still an eye catching pen , I've not having any problem with Hong Dian's converter but YMMV

 

50475138363_da2d7d4641_k.jpgHong Dian  920, on Flickr

That's pretty -- the rose gold is just enough to be identifiable as such, without being overwhelming or too bling-y.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Helen350

    50

  • Mech-for-i

    22

  • Bikerchick

    20

  • AmandaW

    11

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Helen350

Jinhao 886 - F/M nib.  This $1.99 pen is writing better than my $40 Sheaffer.  I inked it 

Sunday nite to take with me to the hospital Monday.  I began journaling Monday, and

I have not experienced any skipping, hard start, ink starvation, etc.  This morning I have

already completed 3 pages of journaling.  It will only stop when there is no longer any

ink in the converter.  I rarely even think to ink up this pen with 330+ pens in my

collection.  I'm thinking the last time I used the 886 was 2018.  I ask the question, how

does a $1.99 Chinese pen's ink flow, flow better than a better quality made pen??

 

 

WIN_20210808_22_35_18_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bikerchick
21 hours ago, Helen350 said:

Jinhao 886 - F/M nib.  This $1.99 pen is writing better than my $40 Sheaffer.  I inked it 

Sunday nite to take with me to the hospital Monday.  I began journaling Monday, and

I have not experienced any skipping, hard start, ink starvation, etc.  This morning I have

already completed 3 pages of journaling.  It will only stop when there is no longer any

ink in the converter.  I rarely even think to ink up this pen with 330+ pens in my

collection.  I'm thinking the last time I used the 886 was 2018.  I ask the question, how

does a $1.99 Chinese pen's ink flow, flow better than a better quality made pen??

 

 

WIN_20210808_22_35_18_Pro.jpg

It's my experience (and that of many others, I'm sure) that with these cheap Chinese pens, it's the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a dud, and other times you get a pen that writes well. Every now and then, you get a pen that writes exceptionally well.  

Then again, Jinhao really has been making an effort these past few years, to improve the quality of their pens. Or at least, most of the Jinhao pens I have bought in the past year or so have been remarkably better and more consistent in quality than the ones from a few years ago.

 

I still find it fascinating how, when you buy several copies of the same pen, no two write exactly the same, even if they come in the same package.  😆

 

On a more personal note: I hope you're at the hospital because you work there or because you're visiting a distant relative, not as a patient. If so: please get well soon. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

 

My other passion

Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen350
6 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

It's my experience (and that of many others, I'm sure) that with these cheap Chinese pens, it's the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a dud, and other times you get a pen that writes well. Every now and then, you get a pen that writes exceptionally well.  

Then again, Jinhao really has been making an effort these past few years, to improve the quality of their pens. Or at least, most of the Jinhao pens I have bought in the past year or so have been remarkably better and more consistent in quality than the ones from a few years ago.

 

I still find it fascinating how, when you buy several copies of the same pen, no two write exactly the same, even if they come in the same package.  😆

 

On a more personal note: I hope you're at the hospital because you work there or because you're visiting a distant relative, not as a patient. If so: please get well soon. 

 

Thank you for your feedback.  The nib on this 886 was smoother than my Metropolitan

nib.  I was at the hospital as an AmbSurg patient.  I'm home, and writing up a storm with

that little 886 since Monday.   My TWSBI Swipe arrived today, and I've just inked it with MontBlanc black, and will be test driving it this afternoon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen350

Hero 359 - M. nib.  Ink:  Diamine Apple Glory

Wing Sung 3013 - Fude nib.  Ink:  Blue-Black

WIN_20210814_21_49_22_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
eliweisz

Kaigelu 316 2nd Generation, EF nib

Practice, patience, perseverance

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bikerchick

1UpmYID.jpg

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

 

My other passion

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jinhao 166 - F. nib.  Ink:  Dryden Designs Decadent Purple.  Used for drafting out

the pattern for a machine knitting project--Honeycomb Beanie Hat.  This original

pattern was found in an old Brother Machine Knitting magazine.

WIN_20210904_18_54_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210906_22_03_37_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaigelu 316 (2nd Generation) - F. nib>  Ink:  Dryden Designs Unforgiving Black

WIN_20210908_16_55_11_Pro.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Brown Safari-like clone (aluminum) FP - M. nib. 

Ink:  Diamine Sherwood Green (surprisingly a decent writer)

 

Image 151 - Fountain Pen Fine Nib Metallic Fashion Aluminum Posture Correction Ink Pens

Link to post
Share on other sites
MuddyWaters
On 9/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, A Smug Dill said:

 

 

Thanks. No, it's cartridge/converter-filled, but also designed to work as an eyedropper-filled pen and are already fitted with an O-ring in the factory.

 

I'd originally ordered the Fine Writing International Brass Age, which alas wouldn't ideally suit your requirement or preference for all-metal pens, because in spite of the metal gripping section, pen cap and end finial (which is more like a blind cap in length, but is not movable or removable), it still has a clear acrylic section. Anyway, after waiting for months, the retailer still couldn't get it into stock, so I cancelled the order. Out of the five models in the Planet series, Mercury would not have been nearly my first choice, but that was the one that was offered on special and so I took it. I suppose it isn't so bad when I put blue ink in its converter to fit with the "swirls of blue against a vast background of no colour" aesthetic, whereas I'd have put a reddish-brown or dark brown ink in the Jupiter, possibly as an eyedropper-filled pen.

 

By the way, there is no valve on the body of the pen, so I'd expect that it may burp if used as an eyedroppered pen.

 

I am swirling back to the fine writing international planet pens. Seem to fit the bill as a full size pen with #6 nib and a section that doesn't taper like crazy (or like an opus88). Oh and also more durable material than Twsbi. 

 

Anyway, I will try to exercise some restraint. I can continue trying to get used to my opus 88 jazz. 

 

I also wanted to say that I doubt the fwi pen would burp as it has a Jowo feed, which tend to prevent burping much much much better than ebonite Indian feeds with few fins, wide channel and a loose fit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2021 at 2:38 AM, Helen350 said:

Kaigelu 316 (2nd Generation)- M. Nib.  Ink:  Thornton's Purple

WIN_20210903_19_33_04_Pro.jpg

Helen,

 

can you say where/when you purchased that green/white model? It looks like one of the latest 2021 models, but I can’t seem to find it on offer anywhere (Ali/ebay). I’m just curious as I’ve been catching up on Doug Rathbone’s YT reviews and just purchased a blue 356 and amber 316A. The ‘A’ variation is the one with the patterned band versus the 2 plain band original and 2nd gen (lighter weight acrylic finial) models, the 2021 A version is what looks like you have there.

 

I love the purple/green combo btw.


cheers,

Gary

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garyc said:

Helen,

 

can you say where/when you purchased that green/white model? It looks like one of the latest 2021 models, but I can’t seem to find it on offer anywhere (Ali/ebay). I’m just curious as I’ve been catching up on Doug Rathbone’s YT reviews and just purchased a blue 356 and amber 316A. The ‘A’ variation is the one with the patterned band versus the 2 plain band original and 2nd gen (lighter weight acrylic finial) models, the 2021 A version is what looks like you have there.

 

I love the purple/green combo btw.


cheers,

Gary

 

 

Gary, I purchased that 2021 model of the 316 on Aliexpress back in early August.

I really like the looks of the pen.  Love Doug's reviews.  I checked this evening,

and found it was no longer available for the seller I purchased from.  However,

I also discovered it is still being sold.  Check this store on Aliexpress: (they are showing

that they have it for $27.83 with either an EF or F nib.)    Shop910424061 Store

 

NOTE:  It is listed as - "Upgrade Kaigelu 316 Celluloid Fountain Pen"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Helen350 said:

 

Gary, I purchased that 2021 model of the 316 on Aliexpress back in early August.

I really like the looks of the pen.  Love Doug's reviews.  I checked this evening,

and found it was no longer available for the seller I purchased from.  However,

I also discovered it is still being sold.  Check this store on Aliexpress: (they are showing

that they have it for $27.83 with either an EF or F nib.)    Shop910424061 Store

 

NOTE:  It is listed as - "Upgrade Kaigelu 316 Celluloid Fountain Pen"

Thanks! I see them now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the pens from my latest Aliexpress order: 

 

Kunshilai K1220

Really good writer. Smooth, slightly too wet, and reliable. Skips maybe once a page. Although like most vintage Chinese pens it has cosmetic defects I really like the design. 

 

Pen from an unknown brand

I bought it for its unusual design. Good but not great writer - it's a bit scratchy but doesn't skip and can be quite difficult to get started if it hasn't been used for a few hours, or stored nib up. There are several cosmetic flaws and it feels cheap. 

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Link to post
Share on other sites
readytotalk

It`s another vintage pen for today - Xing Fu, from 1950s. Like many Chinese pens of that time - modest look, but very comfortable to write with.  

20200531_152447.thumb.jpg.5139f55ebf566afb31855c6e2b1f5a10.jpg

Regards, Alexey

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mallymal1 said:

PENBBS 308, fitted with a Lamy cartridge, filled with Parker blue.

 

134703514_21_09.30penbbs308.thumb.JPG.cabeda5b3ddba7d50b03263cafdf001d.JPG

Penbbs FPs work with Lamy cartridges? :huh: 

Did this require any modifications?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...