What Are Some Notable Vintage Ballpoints?

eharriett

Ive not much interest in ballpoints, but there are times when I should probably have one. Ive been looking towards the original biromes and the Stratowriter. But I was wondering what are some of the other vintage quality ballpoints that are well built and make a statement?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• eharriett

• pajaro

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I don't like the vintage, they are using old type refills, sometime hard to source, also they are too thin/skinny. But there are some which I do like: Parker 25 and 51, and rOtring Tikk-Kuli.

Montblanc slimline ballpoints , made from 1980-1990, are all metal, relatively inexpensive, and refills are available. I have actually preferred them over the traditional Meisterstuck and Starwalker editions currently made. They are plentiful on EBay.

Secundum Artem

As a writing instrument, the most important thing about a ballpoint is the quality of the refills it will take. An original Birome might be an interesting collectible, but would it take any refill that you would want to write with? That's not a rhetorical question; I actually don't know.

Before discovering fountain pens, my favorite ballpoints were Parker Jotters. I found the all metal versions quite attractive, and would frequently get "nice pen" comments from other people. If you want vintage, you could get an older one, made in the U.S. or UK, and with brass cap threads instead of the plastic ones they have now. And they will take a variety of refills, Parker's own, Fisher Space Pen (with the adapter that comes with those refills), or my suggestion, Schmidt EasyFlow.

The Parker Classic is similar, but slimmer and a little longer. They go back to the 1960s, compared to the 1950s for the Jotter, and are quite attractive in my opinion. Some people might find them too slim for comfort, I like slim pens, myself.

As for making a statement, I think the best way to make a statement with a pen is to write it down on paper. :) But if you want something that will leave an impression of good taste, a Parker Classic or Jotter in all metal might do, or of course there are the other suggestions above.

Personally, I don't use my Jotters much any more, since most of my writing is done with fountain pens, and I even use pencils more than ballpoints. But I still keep my mini-collection of "nice" ballpoints, after giving away all the cheap ones.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I personally started to carry a Caran d'Ache #849. It's not exactly vintage, but it's designed in late 60's, and its design is spectacular IMHO. The Goliath refill is wonderful, rated for 8000m (~600 A4 pages) and its built like a tank. Metallic ones are "electronically painted" so, it doesn't chip-off. Or you can get the unpainted "original" one.

I have the metallic black and classic swiss red versions and use both frequently.

I recently received an Eberhard Faber ballpoint from 1946, it's black with a gold filled cap which after a healthy cleaning will be fitted with a BIC Cristal refill. Any size or color I wish!I'll post a photo, maybe tomorrow.

Some of the old 1960s Papermates, like the Holiday model are decent, refills are available and are often in two toned plastic. They are often pricey on ebay.

Fishher Space pens are ok also.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Papermate Deluxe from the early 50s is notable. It was one of the first ballpoint pens that really took off since they figured out ink drying and perfected it.

Refills are available from Fisher Space Pen that are literally designed to fit in this pen and they work flawlessly:
https://www.spacepen.com/BlackInkFinePointFisherPressurizedCartridge1950PaperMatePen.aspx

It was used in a handfull of episodes of I Love Lucy as well :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/350460-penspotting-i-love-lucy-papermate-deluxe-ballpoint/

Parker 75 Sterling Silver Cisele, Cap Acuated, an excellent ballpoint and a worthy companion to the Parker 75 Sterling Silver Cisele Fountain Pen.

Wow. This is really interesting. I had no idea there were so many notable ballpoints around.

I have several, some are usable, some not. The Reynolds International from the mid 40s is not. It is an interesting piece of history though.

Ive not much interest in ballpoints, but there are times when I should probably have one. Ive been looking towards the original biromes and the Stratowriter. But I was wondering what are some of the other vintage quality ballpoints that are well built and make a statement?

I'm not intending to turn this thread into a sales pitch, but if you are interested in a working Stratowriter, I have several of the RA-1 retractables in all gold-filled, complete with a 3D printed adapter to use a modern D1 refill. I use mine every day. It definitely makes a statement.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

I just received a Vintage Parker 45 Flighter Ballpoint as a gift and replaced its old refill with a modern one (standard size fortunately), it writes like a charm, highly pleased with it and would recommend anyone picking up one of these vintage beauties.

But I was wondering what are some of the other vintage quality ballpoints that are well built and make a statement?

If you speak about built quality I guess that there is not a single ballpoint that will beat the Parker Jotter. It worked flawlessly upon its introduction in 1954, which was a huge achievement by itself, and the Jotter is still going strong today.

If you are, like me, not interested in ballpoints, you may like reading the Parker Jotter book (Jotter - History Of An Icon). I gained much respect for the almost perfect interplay between the genius Parker engineering and commercial departments. Really interesting reading material.

I, too am a Henry Dreyfuss aficionado. Look at this ad. Was there really a functioning liquid ink, cartridge fill, roller point in 1959, or was the Scribe a regular ballpoint and I'm just conflating it with the description of the Safari in the same ad?

https://www.periodpaper.com/products/1959-ad-esterbrook-fountain-pens-designs-liquid-ink-scribe-textured-ball-writing-103827-sep5-276

A notable ballpoint I would like to own is the BIC Cristal anniversary pen in sterling silver. Its like owning a solid gold Solo cup. lol

One of the wonderful things about Ballograf pens is that they are both vintage and new: the design dates back many decades, and they are still made- and still made in Sweden.
These have been my favorite ballpoints since I bought my first of their pens (the red design in the photo) in Norway, in the 90s. The pen on the left has a wooden grip, and is very comfortable- even after a lot of note-taking.

post-72672-0-41352300-1581898406_thumb.jpg

Edited by speculator