What Are Some Notable Vintage Ballpoints?

eharriett

I use a Jotter as my every day pen. I love the way it writes, but mostly I love the color. It's a nice olive green!

I also collect vintage, ballpoints. They are harder to find than fountain pens and more fun.

My oldest is a Wortmann 370 from the early 40s. It's a prototype and very, very cool!! If asked, I'll post a couple of photos.

OK, I'll ask. Let's see some photos of the Wortmann.

I have a bunch of pre 1950 ballpoints, including a couple of Sheaffer prototypes. Do you want to see them?

John

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• eharriett

• pajaro

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had the granddaughter (8 yrs old) for the last three days. I was very busy, but now she's gone home so I have more time.

Here's the Wortmann pen. If anyone can date it for me, or has more information, please pass it on to me. It's very rare, so I probably won't mess with it, but keep it as is. It doesn't work as the ball is totally frozen up, and what looks like a glass nib isn't. It's some sort of plastic.

Wortmann.JPG

Wortmann2.JPG

Wortmann3.JPG

Wortmann4.JPG

Wortmann5.JPG

OK, I'll ask. Let's see some photos of the Wortmann.

I have a bunch of pre 1950 ballpoints, including a couple of Sheaffer prototypes. Do you want to see them?

John

I'd love to see them! Old ballpoints are just too cool B)

Doug

I own this Papermate since probably the end of the 70s, it's never been used.

Recently I picked it up and the refill was dry, so I bought a new refill. Now it's as good as new :)

maybe I'll store it for another 40 years... :rolleyes:

Not sure whether this model had a specific name, I had a steel one with black barrel I used sometimes at high school. I also have a red barrel one somewhere...

fpn_1588517054__img_4172-3_papermate_ver

This one also dates 70s. It's a Paraphernalia Al 13, designed by Sergio Carpani in 1972. Somewhat rare now, it's made of solid aluminum.

It was a gift from relatives at the time. It uses a Watermann roller refill. Very smooth.

fpn_1588517945__img_4170-3_paraphernalia

Cross ballpoints are about as classic as they come. Timeless, everyone with a "nice" pen seems to have one.

It's the ubiquitous "cop's dress uniform" ballpoint out here.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

This one also dates 70s. It's a Paraphernalia Al 13, designed by Sergio Carpani in 1972. Somewhat rare now, it's made of solid aluminum.

It was a gift from relatives at the time. It uses a Watermann roller refill. Very smooth.

fpn_1588517945__img_4170-3_paraphernalia

I like the machined look of that. Trying to figure the cap out. The notch on the cap would imply to me it is a push on cap. But the threads imply it is a twist cap. How does that all work?

I like the machined look of that. Trying to figure the cap out. The notch on the cap would imply to me it is a push on cap. But the threads imply it is a twist cap. How does that all work?

Yes it's a screw on cap, and you are right it has this nice machined look, it's a solid aluminium rod.

It was quite an interesting design at the time. The top and bottom cap have a dent and look like the head of a screw (in times when cross head screws had not been invented yet).

The cap screws on and the bottom finial screws in, to allow the refill to go in.

fpn_1588525511__img_4171-3_paraphernalia

Edited by sansenri

• 2 weeks later...

The Conway Stewart #90 Ball Pens are my personal favourites.

Introduced in the late 1950s they were a fusion of classic Conway colours and new technology, but seem never to have caught on.

The #90 came with a barrel of blue or rose or emerald marble with gold veins, flanked by a gold cone and brushed gold cap. It may have been available in black too. In Australia, the #90 was sold alongside the 85L as a boxed set, hence my comparison.

Press the button down to extend the ballpoint refill within (a Schmidt 700 fits the bill) and when you're done writing, press the top of the clip and it will spring back, withdrawing into the cone. I rather like this uncommon mechanism and it seems efficient enough. The build quality feels as good as those C.S. fountain pens of the late 1950s and early 60s.

Why they failed to capture the public's imagination, I can't say for certain. Perhaps these plastics were going out of fashion by the time C.S designed a ballpoint? What a shame, they are rather functional, pretty things.

#90.jpg

Edited by WhiteStarPens

W.S.P

Wow, I really like the look of those Conways, especially the way they taper at the top.

Parker international flighter cisele sterling silver button actuated ballpoint . I have one I bought in 1968 that I used in high school ,college ,and graduate school. I still have it and it works perfectly. It is my lucky pen, I took many exams with it.

Secundum Artem

Wow, I really like the look of those Conways, especially the way they taper at the top.

They're really worth looking out for. I got both within the space of a year, but whether that tells one anything about their scarcity I cannot say, maybe it was just luck.

If you happen to get one and the schmidt refill sits short in the holder (i.e doesn't reach out of the cone when button is depressed), try a blob of blue tack to the rear of the fitting. It can easily be removed with a pin, but will compact enough to allow for a normal writing experience.

W.S.P

• 3 months later...

I was on Fisher Space pen's site yesterday and saw the 1950's Paper Mate refills are now listed as "discontinued." But stock still remains Thought I'd mention it if anyone wanted to get a few before it is too late. No pens on 'da bay at the moment.

Thank you for that thread eharriett.

I am interested in finding out about wide grip ballpoints, the size of the 4 colors Bic ballpoint, but with a cushioned grip.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

If you speak about built quality I guess that there is not a single ballpoint that will beat the Parker Jotter. It worked flawlessly upon its introduction in 1954, which was a huge achievement by itself, and the Jotter is still going strong today.

If you are, like me, not interested in ballpoints, you may like reading the Parker Jotter book (Jotter - History Of An Icon). I gained much respect for the almost perfect interplay between the genius Parker engineering and commercial departments. Really interesting reading material.

Thank you. I just got reintroduced to this iconic Parker and found a circa 1973-1979 era specimen and ordered black gel ink.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I used Parker Jotter lang time ago. Then I liked the Cross and have several of them.

Then I got a Montblanc and it now I have several. I got a vintage Mont Blanc which liver mechanism and I am finding a bit difficulties to find the refill.

It looks very special and very slim but the best writer for me. It writes like F Fountain pen. I am not a ball point person but they all collected in time and I am using them once in a while

for using grocery-list type writing :)

I had a MB ball point in the early '90's which was nothing for which to write home concernng.

I had a MB ball point in the early '90's which was nothing for which to write home concernng.

Did you mean, "...nothing... to write home WITH"? (Sorry-couldn't resist. please don't take offense.)

Did you mean, "...nothing... to write home WITH"? (Sorry-couldn't resist. please don't take offense.)

So, no offense taken...lol. My HS Latin teacher always corrected us ending a sentence with a preposition. Someone would ask where is something at and she would respond, "between A and Z on preposition avenue".....LOL!!