Sailor - Sou Boku - Mini Review And Comparison With Sei Boku

Intensity

Sailor SouBoku is the latest nano-pigment ink from Sailor. It is a darker and more muted version of Sei Boku. Where Sei Boku has more vibrance and more noticeable green component to it, Sou Boku is a very somber classic blue-black. I reserve my personal judgement of this ink's color for now, but concede that it does look quite nice on ivory paper. Sei Boku is still my personal preference for its more cheerful hue.

Being a nano-pigment ink, water resistance is fantastic. Drying time is very quick as well.

This ink sheens quite readily, but the sheen is not at all distracting or very "in your face". It's just a subtle hue shift toward a red-black, giving the writing some character. I've added some super sheening splash samples, but you won't see that much sheen in normal writing.

BdWcSdz.jpg

dL0ghKW.jpg

tUnJIv4.jpg

9kP8C2m.jpg

vElEWiK.jpg

9KAfpOc.jpg

LsSmnSV.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Tas

• Caeruleum

• Intensity

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I adore this ink.

Thank you for another fine review of it.

I'm sure it'll grow on you as Sei Boku did on me :D

Thank you very much for the review and comparison.

I like Sei Boku a lot for its properties, a little less for its colour. I like the colour but it is not quite what I expected after having read many reviews and especially having searched for reviews and comparisons. So I appreciate seeing Sei Boku and Sou Boku side by side and will probably continue to contemplate if I should get Sou Boku when my Sei Boku runs out.

I'm thinking of introducing Sei-Boku to a bit of Kiwa-Guro, as I'm not particularly enamoured with it's hue either.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks for the review!

I get more than noticeable sheen in normal writing from both of those inks:

fpn_1557851544__sailor_seiboku_vs_soubok

fpn_1557851619__sailor_seiboku_vs_soubok

Edit: Sorry, I didn't frame the photo properly to show the last line of writing on the line-gridded paper; it states that the paper is from a Maruman m.memo DMP-A7 notepad with 60g/m² paper.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yeah, both of the pens used in my review are dry writers, so there is less sheen. It can only go up from my samples, given good paper that doesn’t suppress sheen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

These are wonderful comparisons.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I think I'll re-test them in a little while (after I get my camera repairs sorted — not cheap and not fun), but I was very surprised to see that the sheen from Sailor seiboku survived a 30-minute soak in a bath of clean, warm water.

Edit: The results are here.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Love both of these inks, always try to keep one pen inked up with one of them at all times.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for this review. I have one question tho. As far as you know, this one is Sou Boku??? I bought and I was told it is but is in Japanese so no idea.

fpn_1561647039__ink.png

Javier

This is Sei Boku in the now-older style bottle. Sou Boku was only released in the new-style rectangular bottle, as shown in the top photograph of this thread. All 3 of the pigment inks (Sei Boku, Sou Boku, and Kiwa Guro) are now sold in the rectangular bottles. My bottle of Sei Boku is the older style, like yours.

The text on the label is key too.

Sei Boku:

b7iQOWv.jpg

Sou Boku:

CicaZNC.jpg

(Image Source: https://www.penchalet.com/ink_refills/fountain_pen_ink/sailor_kiwa-guro_pigmented_ink.html )

Edited by Intensity

I recently tried a sample of Sou-boku. And I LOVE it. I really need to get a full bottle. Or maybe a couple of bottles, to have a backup.

I was never interested in Sei-boku because it's too teal leaning. If I want a teal-leaning blue black with some permanence, I've got Noodler's 54th Massachusetts. And my experience with Kiwa-Guro in a Preppy set up as a rollerball was not a happy one.... But Sou-boku? Yes definitely a must have, IMO opinion (although when I go to flush the pen out I may change my mind... :rolleyes:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 6 months later...

Did Souboku and Seiboku stain your Lamy 2000? I ask because I dream about this combination :-)

Nope, I tried Souboku in mine without any issues. It feels like a very well behaved ink.

Nope, I tried Souboku in mine without any issues. It feels like a very well behaved ink.

I really like Seiboku's behaviour but it has stained feeds of pens in which I use it. I was afraid it might be harder to clean off a 2000's special surface. Thanks!

I really like Seiboku's behaviour but it has stained feeds of pens in which I use it. I was afraid it might be harder to clean off a 2000's special surface. Thanks!

Sei-Boku (the blueish/turquoise variant) and Sou-Boku (the blue-black) are behaving totally different in that respect. Sei-Boku felt hard to clean off while with Sou-Boku I never had that problem.

Sei-Boku (the blueish/turquoise variant) and Sou-Boku (the blue-black) are behaving totally different in that respect. Sei-Boku felt hard to clean off while with Sou-Boku I never had that problem.

Agreed :)

What a great review! Thank you very much!

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

[sigh]

I have been very happily using only one blue-black ink for years (Rohrer & Klingner Salix), but have also been coveting one other (Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite) for several years.
At Christmas I decided to treat myself to a bottle of the Tanzanite, in order to finally be rid of the nagging craving.

Within a month of doing so, I have found this thread, and now I find that I am coveting Sou Boku :(

I suppose it simply must be the case that the number of inks that one has in one’s possession is doomed to always be ‘n-1’, where ‘n’ is the number with which one would feel satisfied/sated.

:doh: :rolleyes:

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png