Leonardo Officina Italiana - Momento Zero

pomperopero

Has seen issues for the broader nib widths but no complaints so far for the finer widths.

You didn't see me whinge about the EF nib on my Leonardo Momento Zero? :rolleyes:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• pomperopero

• dysmedia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM me the link. I'll buy it and let you know :rolleyes:

Even if you did get the link, it would be quite a chore to actually to buy it so I would never put that burden on you ;)

You didn't see me whinge about the EF nib on my Leonardo Momento Zero? :rolleyes:

At least not on this thread. What was the issue with your EF nib?

What was the issue with your EF nib?

It lays down by default thicker lines than I want, and writes too broadly for even an F nib in my book. My two Aurora (18K and 14K) gold EF nibs, Delta Fusion EF nib, and Diplomat steel EF nib all write finer without modification; as does any of my Sailor (gold or steel) H-MF nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It lays down by default thicker lines than I want, and writes too broadly for even an F nib in my book. My two Aurora (18K and 14K) gold EF nibs, Delta Fusion EF nib, and Diplomat steel EF nib all write finer without modification; as does any of my Sailor (gold or steel) H-MF nibs.

That might be something for me to consider since I like more finer lines (Japanese F).

Although I have tried the F of Pilot Custom 823 to be quite acceptable.

Based on experience with many makes of pens, including Leonardos, you may find your nib writes a much finer line with a drier ink than you used initially. Try a Pelikan 4001 ink, in particular the Black.

I find generalizations about how wet or dry a nib writes without specifying the ink - and, for that matter, the paper - often misleading. Or, as Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (Justice Holmes) was fond of saying, "the chief end of man is to form general propositions ... and no general proposition is worth a damn."

David

Based on experience with many makes of pens, including Leonardos, you may find your nib writes a much finer line with a drier ink than you used initially.

I'm sure that is indeed the case. I've changed the ink the other day in my F-nibbed Platinum #3776 from Diamine Evergreen to Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black, and the line width was reduced by at least a grade; it now writes like a 'Japanese EF' nib, or maybe even finer. However, I'm not sure I can find a drier ink in the right colour to match the appearance of my Leonardo Momento Zero Hawaii closely enough, and that's before considering the other properties of the ink – whether it is water resistant, or apt to feather or bleed-through the paper I typically use, etc.

I find generalizations about how wet or dry a nib writes without specifying the ink - and, for that matter, the paper - often misleading.

I don't think the 'how', or degree at which, a nib writes 'wet or dry' can be easily measured and expressed in objective and/or absolute terms anyway; they're relative to the observer's body of experience with other nibs. However, in all my writing samples, I do try to state which ink and paper I used, so that readers and fellow members can make their own mental adjustments to suit their particular interests.

Edit: Oops. I failed to do that in the writing sample linked to above. The inks I used were stated, but the type of paper wasn't; it is a Rhodia Dotpad No.16 80gsm 5mm dot grid notepad.

Edited by A Smug Dill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you enablers, I just ordered two Leonardo Momento Zeros - one in Positano and the other in Red marble. I thought about the Hawaii, but I have two other pens that are similar in color. I wanted something different. I ordered both in stub nibs.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

but I have two other pens that are similar in color.

Unless they are Delta's Blue Jay and Kanaka Maoli, which are of the same material, believe me, it will be totally different from any other blue-ish colors. It's worth the money. Gotta see that pen in person. :)

Edited by clear1

Thanks to all of you enablers, I just ordered two Leonardo Momento Zeros - one in Positano and the other in Red marble. I thought about the Hawaii, but I have two other pens that are similar in color. I wanted something different. I ordered both in stub nibs.

I am very happy to see this post!

You had a very unfortunate experience with the Keys of Heaven pen & I was sad for you; it is very hard to anticipate an expensive pen, only to have it be less than thrilling. I have read all the raves about the Leonardo pens & ordered mine recently. I also got a stub, a green marbled one & received notice it has made its way to my local Post Office, for delivery tomorrow. I am excited to finally see what everyone has been talking about!

I hope both your pens will be everything you wish them to be.

Arghhh! You Italian Pen Fanatics... ! In the past week I ordered a Visconti and now tonight I ordered a Momento Zero. I ordered a Positano with a stub nib... my first stub nib in my collection.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this and other threads about the Momento, I ordered two with stubs from Novelli, and I couldn’t be more pleased. They’re beautiful looking, and the finish is terrific, with lovely chatoyance. The caps remove just over one turn, the pen feels good in my hand, with comfortable section, and the threads aren’t sharp. The steel stub nibs both wrote as well as any other nib in my collection, with line variation that looks like cursive italic but feels like a stub. The convertor feels solid, and screws into the section. So far, I wouldn’t ask for anything to be different with them.

...the finish is terrific, with lovely chatoyance...

Thank you for allowing me to learn a wonderful new word! About the stubs: I'm glad you like them. Personally, my stub nib wasn't great. Not bad at all, but not great either. But then again, 1.5 is too much for me, I can't really handle that, except for occasional uses such as writing an address on an envelope. So I made a project out of it and narrowed the stub down to my sweet spot, which is around 0.9. I was lucky in that it turned out exacty as I'd hoped for: very smooth and comfortable, with a pencil-like writing feel and suitable for many styles of writing. I use it all the time.

Edit: here's my stub after the re-grind, compared to some stock stubs from other brands.

fpn_1552119938__12732615-e20f-41a9-a231-

Edited by TheDutchGuy

I believe the gold nib stub is narrower at 1.3mm. I write with enough slant that I don’t get the maximum line width to contend with most of the time with the 1.5, so it works for my writing.

fpn_1552145527__0001b68f-6100-4e3f-ad4b-

My Momento Zero enjoying a fleeting moment in the sun on this stormy Saturday, together with Fritillary (Fritillaria meleagris). I love how this understated pen lights up in sunlight. Unfortunately, this plant species has become quite rare in the wild and needs protection. Most specimens are garden escapes (mine was bought at the florist). On a more uplifiting note, Leonardo pens seem to be on the rise ;-) .

Finally... 3 weeks later it is here... my first stub. I love it! I need a lot of practice but it is so smooth. I really like what it can do.

46438056985_7239b02350_k.jpg

Unless they are Delta's Blue Jay and Kanaka Maoli, which are of the same material, believe me, it will be totally different from any other blue-ish colors. It's worth the money. Gotta see that pen in person. :)

+1

Finally... 3 weeks later it is here... my first stub. I love it! I need a lot of practice but it is so smooth. I really like what it can do.

Glad you like the pen! May it give you many years of joy.

Quick question about the Momento Zero, sorry if it's already been answered - it has a #6 Bock steel nib, is that correct? If so, would I be able to swap in a #6 Bock Ti nib if I were so inclined?

• 6 months later...

The new Leonardo Momento Zero Grande Fountain Pens have a larger ink capacity at 1.2 ml (compared with Standard Intl Convertor 0.86 ml) in the form of a large nonremoveable convertor/piston. Below are pics of the LMZ Grande in Copper, and the converters from the standard LMZ and the Grande.

post-135891-0-95023000-1569871364_thumb.jpeg

post-135891-0-36974200-1569871379_thumb.jpeg