• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• pomperopero

• dysmedia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In that picture the nib does appear to be larger, however, in reality the nib appears to be the same size. I had queried the vendor at Novelli before purchase, and he told me they were the same size but the engraving was different ( there is a line around the perimeter of the nib, and the word Italy has been added under Leonardo). I think the metallic band at the end of the section on the Grande model and its absence on the standard LMZ has something to to with the appearance of the nib being larger. I have attached another photo comparing the stub nib on the standard and the Grande. The section and barrel are a bit larger on the Grande, and a good fit for me. All in all, I couldnt be happier with this pen so far. I have no connection to Novelli, but I have to say I have had excellent service from them as vendors go. Theyre easy to communicate with, they respond quickly to queries, and shipping has been fast.

post-135891-0-54681300-1569970916_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I've just received my Leonardo Momento Zero in Deep Blue color with F nib.

I was afraid of receiving a poor performing nib after reading some comments, so I asked the seller to test the nib before sending the pen, which he kindly did. Now I can asure you this is one of the best nibs I have written with. It is veeery smooth and writes a real fine line (same width as my F nibbed Platinum Century 3776).

Furthermore, and I would appreciate to get feedback from you about this, it is springy (certainly not flex, but with significant line variation).

Is this line variation a common characteristic of LMZ F nibs?

Thanks!

Re. Leonardo nibs: You don't say whether your pen has a gold or steel nib or whether it is a Bock nib (on pre-2021 production pens) or a JoWo nib.

In any case, both the Bock nibs and JoWo nibs used by Leonardo are softer than Platinum or Pelikan nibs (except for the M100 nibs), for example. The gold nibs are a bit softer than the steel nibs.

Note that Leonardo also sells what they call an "elastic" nib which has a cutout making it much softer. I have no experience with this nib, but other similar nibs are at best semi-flex - really just springier, not really meant for flex-nib writing.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your new pen!

David

4 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Re. Leonardo nibs: You don't say whether your pen has a gold or steel nib or whether it is a Bock nib (on pre-2021 production pens) or a JoWo nib.

In any case, both the Bock nibs and JoWo nibs used by Leonardo are softer than Platinum or Pelikan nibs (except for the M100 nibs), for example. The gold nibs are a bit softer than the steel nibs.

Note that Leonardo also sells what they call an "elastic" nib which has a cutout making it much softer. I have no experience with this nib, but other similar nibs are at best semi-flex - really just springier, not really meant for flex-nib writing.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your new pen!

David

Thanks for your reply, David.

It is a standard steel nib (no special cuts).  Not sure wheather it is made by Bock or JoWo, but I believe it is a Bock nib because I got the pen at a discounted price (last unit of a shop that will not distribute Leonardo pens any more).

And yes, I would not call it semy flex but springier than my Montegrappa (Miya, Classica) gold nibs.

Luis

Sounds like it writes a lot like my MZ Blue Hawaii F nib.

I really enjoy my version and it sounds like you do, too. Beware, you may end up with a few more LOIs in your collection before long!

-scot

1 hour ago, lfmarsan said:

Thanks for your reply, David.

It is a standard steel nib (no special cuts).  Not sure wheather it is made by Bock or JoWo, but I believe it is a Bock nib because I got the pen at a discounted price (last unit of a shop that will not distribute Leonardo pens any more).

And yes, I would not call it semy flex but springier than my Montegrappa (Miya, Classica) gold nibs.

Luis

My steel nibbed Leonardo's are fairly soft for steel nibs.  They are softer than the gold nibs I have.

1 hour ago, Aloha Pens said:

Sounds like it writes a lot like my MZ Blue Hawaii F nib.

I really enjoy my version and it sounds like you do, too. Beware, you may end up with a few more LOIs in your collection before long!

-scot

I will never ever buy another fountain pen... in the next 24 hours

4 hours ago, lfmarsan said:

Hi,

I've just received my Leonardo Momento Zero in Deep Blue color with F nib.

I was afraid of receiving a poor performing nib after reading some comments, so I asked the seller to test the nib before sending the pen, which he kindly did. Now I can asure you this is one of the best nibs I have written with. It is veeery smooth and writes a real fine line (same width as my F nibbed Platinum Century 3776).

Furthermore, and I would appreciate to get feedback from you about this, it is springy (certainly not flex, but with significant line variation).

Is this line variation a common characteristic of LMZ F nibs?

Thanks!

Thank you for showing us the F nib in use.

I'm more of a wider nib user, but I like to have the odd F nib and when I do it has to be smooth and especially springy (I hate fine nails...) which is one of the reasons why I also appreciate Pelikan M200 F and EF steel nibs.

Leonardo steel nibs so far on my pens have been surprisingly springy too (I own a number of Bs and Ms), which has been a very positive surprise.

I believe it has to do with the nib design, and hope that whether Bock or Jowo made, it will be a characteristic that remains.

Those who love the springiness (especially me...) were slightly concerned about Leonardo's decision to switch from Bock to Jowo, as we typically compare Bock slightly springier standard steel nibs vs Jowo usually stiffer standard steel nibs.

I'm hoping the specific design of the Leonardo nibs will prevent the switch to Jowo meaning stiffer nibs.
If anyone has experience already in that respect please do say so (...David? ;))

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your new pen!

David

So far, I have two Leonardo pens with JoWo 14kt and one with a steel nib. All are stubs.

The gold nibs are not nails, but no where near as springy as 1950's Pelikan 140's, for example, or my 1980's MB 146. The steel nib is less springy but still not a nail.

I don't appraise a significant decrease as springiness comparing the Leonard JoWo's to their Bock nibs.

David

Thank you David, is there a way to recognize the Bock nibs from the Jowo nibs on the Leonardo?

I was specifically talking of the steel nibs here.

These are the steel nibs on my 3 Leonardo smaller size MZ and Furore.

The Corsani blue was bought well before any talks of Jowo nibs, purchase date June 2018, the Furore Smeraldo possibly also , purchase date is October 2018.

The Iride green was bought in March 2020, but in my opinion is possibly also a pre Jowo nib (i.e. Bock).

That's why I ask, I think I don't have a Jowo nib on my Leonardo's and I am slightly concerned that it might feel different.

large.733431119_P1150415-3LeonardoOfficinaCorsaniblue.jpg.6f01b04e39dfe54e651f4b208cf14e7d.jpg

large.1292426440_P1180472-3LeonardoFuroreTurchese.jpg.7b38049a759b1331508245d161998380.jpg

large.1161388379_P1190352-3LeonardoMomentozeroverde.jpg.f65415f6723acce6529734c4ca3e5aa8.jpg

btw, all 3 nibs are nicely springy!

@sansenriI too had a Leonardo Furore Smeraldo, gold-plated steel nib, bought around in Spring of 2019. The nib looked exactly like yours but gold-plated, in your second photo above. I understood that it was a Bock nib. So my guess that these earlier nibs with etching line along the nib shoulders (in the shape of a peak) are Bock nibs. 

To complete the picture I also have a steel nib on my Positano grande, with the ebonite feed.

This one is very nice too, springy and especially has a wonderful flow.

large.1444420357_P1200154-3LeonardoFuroreGrandePositano.jpg.820367591e03e58f75baa4bc93eaa8b8.jpg

2 hours ago, como said:

@sansenriI too had a Leonardo Furore Smeraldo, gold-plated steel nib, bought around in Spring of 2019. The nib looked exactly like yours but gold-plated, in your second photo above. I understood that it was a Bock nib. So my guess that these earlier nibs with etching line along the nib shoulders (in the shape of a peak) are Bock nibs. 

Could be but so should be the nib in my first photo without the etching as this was an early buy.

It might not be indicative (etching or not)...

30 minutes ago, sansenri said:

Could be but so should be the nib in my first photo without the etching as this was an early buy.

It might not be indicative (etching or not)...

You are probably right. I said that because it was the only difference that I saw (plus the word "Italy" below "LEONARDO") and I knew that mine was a Bock nib. This difference may or may not be meaningful. 

2 hours ago, como said:

You are probably right. I said that because it was the only difference that I saw (plus the word "Italy" below "LEONARDO") and I knew that mine was a Bock nib. This difference may or may not be meaningful. 

I was wondering that too, and since my earliest buy was without the etching I initially wondered whether the etched nibs could be Jowo... but in fact my second buy with the etching dates October 2018, so that, I think, is still too early for the Jowo switch.

As I said, it's probably not indicative, and I am wondering whether there is a way to tell one nib from the other ( but if they are made by the same specs, probably not).