Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke 2019

RMN

Well there are several smaller Montblanc stores in Shenzhen. Obviously you found the samll one in Costal City. I saw a burgandy 146 in that one a few years ago. It desperately needed a service, but as a sold as new pen, it would have been within warrantee, along with a nib exchange. I was tempted...

You should also check out the equally small one in the mall directly south of Coco Park. Nothing special, except they occationally have some extraordinary new stock on display. I saw a brand new George Bernard Shaw fountain pen there lasy year. Brand new stock. They also have a surprising selection on Bohemes.

Then there is the medium sized store in Holiday Plaza. They had a Hitchcock on display for years... If only I could find an Einstein.

Unfortunately due to Chinese import duties they are all considerably more expensive than anywhere else in the world. (Yes, China had duties first folks)

~ jagwap:

What a lovely surprise to find your helpful suggestions regarding Montblanc boutiques in the local area.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me, as it's all fresh information for one who knows next to nothing about Montblanc options here.

I've continuously served in this country since arriving in 1999, with most of the time in universities in Beijing.

There was a 149 with me in 1999, but it wasn't ever opened or used until more than one decade later.

Gradually I came to know the boutiques in Beijing, and later, in Shanghai.

I have no idea about financial issues as I've only purchased new Montblanc products in this country, without any comparison with pricing elsewhere.

Everything has seemed reasonable in Montblanc boutiques here, perhaps for no more reason than that I have no basis for comparison.

I'm more than satisfied with what I have been able to acquire here.

You've expanded my options, for which I'm grateful. May you someday find the pens you seek!

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• zaddick

• thygreyt

• NeverTapOut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately due to Chinese import duties they are all considerably more expensive than anywhere else in the world. (Yes, China had duties first folks)

I doubt it. I was at Shanghai Montblanc boutique and also a small Montblanc store at another city this Spring. The prices are almost identical to the Montblanc boutique price in the U.S. If you add sales tax, their prices are actually slightly cheaper.

Due to history reason, Montblanc still have several authorized pen dealers left in the US, such as FPH, PB. They might sell pen at lower price.

I doubt it. I was at Shanghai Montblanc boutique and also a small Montblanc store at another city this Spring. The prices are almost identical to the Montblanc boutique price in the U.S. If you add sales tax, their prices are actually slightly cheaper.

Due to history reason, Montblanc still have several authorized pen dealers left in the US, such as FPH, PB. They might sell pen at lower price.

I tend to compare in Europe, so maybe you are right in the US. However China has had considerable tariffs on luxury imports for decades. I am happy to buy refills and ink here, but the pens I will generally shop in the UK, and also get the tax back at the airport which is nice. Also while Hong Kong is tax free, it is still more than the UK.

I think the new Midnight Green color of iPhone 11 Pro by Apple is pretty well matching with the Kipling pen, don't you? The 2 first photo was taken with the Pine Green silicone case so the matching is not as best as the color of the phone.

48769374088_15052b18aa_c.jpg 48769373893_999ba30c3c_c.jpg

48769374318_5fdb0bb32d_c.jpg 48769709836_910c86bc9a_c.jpg

I can imagine you would need a new Moment lens for those camera, hahaha, or Are those camera enough that you won't be needing a Moment macro lens?

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

I can imagine you would need a new Moment lens for those camera, hahaha, or Are those camera enough that you won't be needing a Moment macro lens?

The macro lense I have is compatible. You just have to buy a new case adapted to the new phone. It will be available in October for the pro and for the other model the case is already available.

~ While I have no favorites among any of these Montblanc blue inks, there are multiple bottles of several.

• 3 bottles of Montblanc Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue

• 3 bottles of Montblanc Royal Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Miles Davis Jazz Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Homer Greek Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Lapis Lazuli

They're all treasured inks, each with their own charm.

Tom K.

fpn_1568695495__reed_thoughts_blue_inks.

fpn_1568778727__green_inks.jpg

fpn_1568786609__red-hued_inks.jpg

Some awesome ink comparison shots there Tom. Found these Monblanc blue, green, and red ink comparison pictures really helpful, and you did a great job capturing these colors in all their glory. Thanks Tom!

So glad to see so many nice blue hues available to choose from, as well as the reds. And all though Irish Green is my one and only go to green ink, the Emerald Green looks interesting with all that shading and variation.

Edited by max dog

I think the new Midnight Green color of iPhone 11 Pro by Apple is pretty well matching with the Kipling pen, don't you? The 2 first photo was taken with the Pine Green silicone case so the matching is not as best as the color of the phone.

~ Cyrille:

Many thanks for the detailed image of your Kipling pen.

Seeing the extraordinary craftsmanship at such close range is impressive.

The monkey's eyes are rendered with such clarity — very nice!

I don't have a smartphone, so I was unaware that such case colors were available.

The two colors do indeed look alike.

Have you been satisfied with how the Kipling writes for you?

Tom K.

Some awesome ink comparison shots there Tom. Found these Monblanc blue, green, and red ink comparison pictures really helpful, and you did a great job capturing these colors in all their glory. Thanks Tom!

So glad to see so many nice blue hues available to choose from, as well as the reds. And all though Irish Green is my one and only go to green ink, the Emerald Green looks interesting with all that shading and variation.

~ max dog:

Thank you so much. I'm glad that the ink comparison images were helpful.

During the process of making the comparisons, it was self-evident that individual inks have their own distinct character.

Yes, Montblanc Emerald shades very well. It's a hue which is easy on the eyes.

Comparing inks refines color discrimination perception. It's fun...comparable to kids playing with a box of crayons in similar yet different colors.

Who isn't a kid at heart? Perhaps that's part of the reason why using different inks is enjoyable.

Tom K.

~ Cyrille:

Many thanks for the detailed image of your Kipling pen.

Seeing the extraordinary craftsmanship at such close range is impressive.

The monkey's eyes are rendered with such clarity — very nice!

I don't have a smartphone, so I was unaware that such case colors were available.

The two colors do indeed look alike.

Have you been satisfied with how the Kipling writes for you?

Tom K.

Thank you Tom. Yes I'm very satisfied by the medium nib that writes really well on all type of papers including laid paper on which lot of nibs can't write correctly. With the Purdey it is the pen I'm using the most for the moment.

Thank you Tom. Yes I'm very satisfied by the medium nib that writes really well on all type of papers including laid paper on which lot of nibs can't write correctly. With the Purdey it is the pen I'm using the most for the moment.

fpn_1569555743__laid_paper.jpg

Cyrille

Two completely different worlds in one photo.

Congratulations on the combination, I loved it !!!!

Edited by eangelo

fine for me....fpn_1569329893__mb1.jpg

~ Mercury66:

Thank you for posting such an excellent nib image.

Tom K.