The Best Parker Fountain Pen?

CharlieAndrews

Hey Y'all!

I've been really enjoying my Parker Sonnet that my wife got me from Pen Chalet, and it's made me a bit of a Parker fan. I'm thinking of having my next purchase be another Parker Fountain Pen, but I figured I'd "Ask the Audience" which Parker Fountain Pen is the best!

Which Parker is the best and one you'd go to the grave with?

Thanks for your help!

-Charles

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• AL01

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Best" is a very nebulous word! My favourite from Parker would be the Parker 50 Falcon because of it's sleek and fetching shape. I couldn't write with it though because it's too slim, but it's good in theory.

I don't much care for modern Parker's.

Edited by Bluey

There are several realy good Parker fountain pens:

Parker 51

Parker Duofold, both Vintage and Modern

Parker Duofold Aerometric

Parker Vacumatic

Parker 45

the best - ah!, that's easy....... It's the one you like the most. Have a look at Tony Ficshier's www.parkerpens.net, and choose which takes you fancy - then we'll tell you how we consider it writes.

Edited by PaulS

the best - ah!, that's easy....... It's the one you like the most. Have a look at Tony Ficshier's www.parkerpens.net, and choose which takes you fancy - then we'll tell you how we consider it writes.

What about the Parker Duo-Fold? :)

yes, certainly a name to excite most pen enthusiasts ...................... but unfortunately it isn't quite that simple - the word Duofold encompasses a substantial range of mostly older pens which started life c. 1921 and went on through many models/variations. This pen was the life blood of Parker, and changed the pen industry for ever, almost all examples being b.f. types. Superceded in the late 1930s by the Vacumatic, which used a different filling system, and this in turn was overtaken by the P51 in it's many guises.

The Duofold name was used in the U.K. in the 1950 - 60 period for a quite different pen, then brought out of retirement in the 1990s for limited editions and customized pens - based on the original States examples - for those with very deep pockets.

So, which one do you want :)

Edited by PaulS

I prefer Parker's modern pens: Duofold and Sonnet. I also have a Falcon and two or three 45's.

I have a 51 and a 51 vac but I don't like pens with fixed sacs. I change inks often and they aren't as easy to clean. I should get rid of them really.

No pen will ever go to the grave with me. I wouldn't dream of allowing any of my pens to be cremated. :o They should be used and loved by someone else. :)

yes, certainly a name to excite most pen enthusiasts ...................... but unfortunately it isn't quite that simple - the word Duofold encompasses a substantial range of mostly older pens

So, which one do you want :)

I guess that goes to show how new I am in the Pen world! haha

I really like the look of the Parker Duofold Centennial. :)

No pen will ever go to the grave with me. I wouldn't dream of allowing any of my pens to be cremated. :o They should be used and loved by someone else. :)

Hahaha :lticaptd: I guess I never really thought about the phrase before I used it!

I just bought a Duofold Centenial. A really nice pen. A dream to write with.

I also have an international model. It too is a great writer, but the section is thinner than the Centenial and not as comfortable for long writing projects.

I found both of them to be quite juicy writers. The International came with a Medium nib. It was Vintage so I didn't have a choice. When I bought the Centenial I got it with a Fine nib. Turned out to be the better choice. It writes with a wet, medium thick ink line that I love.

Then there are the Pelikans. By far the pens closest to my heart.

Whichever one you like best.

And everyone has different criteria. What is best for one may not be best for someone else.

• The 45 is a great utility/workhorse pen, and it was an affordable pen for students and the average person.
  • The Vector is another utility/workhorse pen, an affordable pen for students.
  • The 51 is an acknowledged GREAT pen.
  • The 180 gave the writer the option of 2 different nibs on one pen.
  • The Vac was Parker's flagship pen in the 30/40s
  • The 75 was Parker's flagship pen in the 70s

Others are:

• The Duofold and Duofold Jr
  • The Sonnet
  • The 50 Falcon
  • The 88
  • etc

I would take a 180 and 75 with me, cuz those were my first upper end Parkers.

Followed by the Vac and 51.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Apart from the 51, Parkers are enough to make me a Pelikan enthusiast.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Could it be easier to ask, what is the worst Parker, the pen that you would not sell to a friend who was a user as opposed to a collector. For me that would be the 180 and the 41.

Hi,

Still thinking ...

I'll get back to you in a few years. :)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

My Duofold Centennial used to suffer from slight starting problems. I wondered if it was because of the safety 'breather' hole in the cap . It was underneath the clip so I just stuck a tiny piece of invisible tape over the hole. Instant fix. It's now perfect. :D

Extremely subjective question, but if you're looking over the responses as a survey of sorts, my top three votes would be:

1) Parker 51

2) Parker Vacumatic

2) Parker 75

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...