Dr. Ph. Martin's Inks

docmar9

None of Dr. Ph. Martin's inks contain shellac. Dr. Ph. Martin's new Ocean Fountain Pen ink is made specially for fountain pens and it is lightfast archival pigment, not dye.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docmar9

• DrDebG

• HalloweenHJB

• HollyGolightly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of Dr. Ph. Martin's inks contain shellac. Dr. Ph. Martin's new Ocean Fountain Pen ink is made specially for fountain pens and it is lightfast archival pigment, not dye.

I have always been fascinated by Dr. Ph. Martin's water colors. I would love to see and/or try the new Ocean ink. Do you have a link where think ink can be ordered?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

The inks are a bit expensive, but not extremely so. Shipping, however, well, I have no words, I can only but show you, and that was for 1 (one) bottle

fpn_1461840921__drphmartinshipping.jpg

Needless to say, I did not continue to payment...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

HA... UPS... for sure. :roller1:

I have never heard of these inks.. and I will be quite happy to go back to not hearing about them.... :D :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Look for it on Amazon.com or Paperandinkarts.com

Amazon was no good to me (Canada).... free shipping but $43CND for 15ml !!! (approx $35 USD) :yikes:

and try http://www.paperinkarts.com/ (no "and") .. Calligraphy Ink is reasonable priced... Fountain Pen inks is more expensive. :mellow:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Soon to be available on Amazon.com with international rates that are affordable for Amazon.eu and Canada

Just sent you a PM.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have a set of the old Doc Martins watercolor inks (somewhere in the house), but I've been hesitant to try them out in any of my fountain pens (I bought them years ago to paint a deck of Tarot cards that were black and white line drawings).

I have no idea if they're even still good at this point, since I'm pretty sure I bought them when I was still single....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was a little put off by the disclaimers on the site. At least they disclaimed. ;)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have a set of the old Doc Martins watercolor inks (somewhere in the house), but I've been hesitant to try them out in any of my fountain pens (I bought them years ago to paint a deck of Tarot cards that were black and white line drawings).

I have no idea if they're even still good at this point, since I'm pretty sure I bought them when I was still single....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment, but I don't think I would put the watercolors into my fountain pen. Perhaps for use with a dip pen.

I think what the OP is talking about here are inks formulated for fountain pens.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to our most generous ink maven, I have been able to try out the Dr Martin's Ocean inks, "Edge Blue" and "Red Garnet Rose."

post-113310-0-26474600-1464134909_thumb.jpg

Just a couple of observations:

• The ink is thick —not as heavy as tempera paint, but much thicker than dye-based inks; it's so different is seems odd to put it in a fountain pen, so I followed their advice and used a TWSBI 580.
  • post-113310-0-54571700-1464134925_thumb.jpg
  • Considering how thick the ink is, the flow is much less than most of us are used to. I let the ink sit in the TWSBIs for a day or two, and they needed to be primed by pushing the ink into the nib with the piston.
  • The color is splendid, but not on all paper. Cheap paper (I make index cards for each of my inks and put them in order by shade —yes, I'm a bit AR...) absorbs the ink, and more glossy papers (as they themselves suggest!) make the ink look phenomenal! Canson Vellum was eye popping!
  • post-113310-0-81028700-1464134940_thumb.jpg
  • post-113310-0-06487700-1464134955_thumb.jpg
  • Tomoe River and the paper in a Kobe notebook (the one with all the Kobe inks pictured on the cover) is great with this ink. There is noticeable sheen on the better paper.

That's it for now. Hope this has been helpful for those who are thinking of taking the plunge... ;)

Thank you for the writing samples, HJB! It's really helpful to see the inks in action and on different types of paper, too!

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

WOW, they look great in the TWSBIs. I haven't taken any pictures of mine in the pens. I have been using them for a while now. I really like the colors. They are not fuss free and not for everyone, but they are vibrant and pigmented. Look at the red compared to other reds. (BTW, Diamine Scarlet is actually pink not red, I'm not sure what's up with that name.)

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/05-May/slides/2016-05-19_21.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Exactly! On good paper, the ink sits on top like a paint, and the color stays super vibrant even after it dries. Really unusual, but I know I will love this for special projects!!

Today was the first time I had to prime it or dip it in hot water. I've had it inked up for a little while now (I'd have to look at my list to verify how many days) ... okay, I inked it up on 5/3 so 22 days without having to prime it or dip it isn't bad --- in fact, I think that's spectacular for a pigment ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY