What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Pulled the trigger a bit late last night on an Asvine 169 - EF nib. Already had a blue/silver one and chose to get a "silver" clear one for my second. I would have purchased one from the Bay or Etsy but they were talking 2-3+ weeks out for arrival. Amazon was offering tomorrow (maybe Monday) for delivery. The price was the same and the shipping free.

Asvine 169 FP.jpg

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Pulled the trigger a bit late last night on an Asvine 169 - EF nib. Already had a blue/silver one and chose to get a "silver" clear one for my second. I would have purchased one from the Bay or Etsy but they were talking 2-3+ weeks out for arrival. Amazon was offering tomorrow (maybe Monday) for delivery. The price was the same and the shipping free.

Asvine 169 FP.jpg

Ha!  I almost just ordered this pen from Amazon!  Already have the Visconti Ti Skelton and thought this would be a good pen to carry around as I only use the Vis at home.  I did resist but not sure if the resistance will last!

I just got back from a pen show and spent most of my mad cash on pens there so below are my latest impulsive pen(s) purchases. The watch was a bonus impulsive purchase.

PXL_20220323_142949436.PORTRAIT.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

3 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Ha!  I almost just ordered this pen from Amazon!  Already have the Visconti Ti Skelton and thought this would be a good pen to carry around as I only use the Vis at home.  I did resist but not sure if the resistance will last!

I just got back from a pen show and spent most of my mad cash on pens there so below are my latest impulsive pen(s) purchases. The watch was a bonus impulsive purchase.

Looks like some really nice pens. I am "saving" most of my money for the local pen show in Boston, in September. I have a table, so I will be selling. Also expect to have cash, so I will be buying. REALLY looking ahead to a wonderful show...

BTW, you reminded me that I might find a watch worth buying.

Again, nice acquisitions!

Enjoy...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The watch was a great bonus.  Seiko solar chronograph, a man was selling out his whole collection of pens and some inks and a few watches.  A dealer bought his pens and most of the inks sold. He had two watches in the end that he had wanted $150 each.  As he was packing up and I was about to leave the show he announced the watches were now $100 and I couldn't pass it up at that price!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

40 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Great looking pens, @PAKMAN! Also inspired by the idea of pen shows; never attended one, but after all the stories here on FPN I think I'm on the lookout for an opportunity to do so. Thanks for sharing. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

Well, where to start.

Darn and blast! While I have been struggling with the various issues with this pen, one unknown issue took the time to bite me in the posterior. Somewhere along the way the cap ring has fallen off. I had no idea it was even loose (I should have, but I didn't notice). I have a pretty good idea approximately when it happened, yesterday I was trying various methods (none successful) to get the cap jewel off so I could take the clip out to clean off the corrosion. That's the only time I have actively man-handled the cap. And it just a few minutes ago that I noticed it was gone.

What bugs me is how I didn't hear it drop down onto some hard surface, that's all there is around where I was working -- desk and floor. If it had fallen in my lap it would have then fallen on the floor when I stood up. It is certainly not on the desk nor the floor anywhere near my desk. I can still hope it will turn up somewhere, but it's a faint one. 

One tiny consolation is that it no longer matched the appearance of the clip, because the ring is (I think) nickel plated and in decent shape, while the clip only shows brass under the corrosion, so I suppose if it had nickel plating it has all worn off. 

Thoughts processing as I wrote: wait, there is no full inner cap, only a sort of rim that buts up against the section. So now that I think to look, I can see a heavily corroded screw inside the top of the cap! Now, how to soften that corrosion in order to loosen the screw (which is currently not budging). More to come in this exciting saga!

My last impulsive pen acquisition will arrive between now and Tuesday Arvo when DHL gets done faffing about with it and decides to bring it to me.

16 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

My last impulsive pen acquisition will arrive between now and Tuesday Arvo when DHL gets done faffing about with it and decides to bring it to me.

Thank you for the new word..."faffing". It has a nice feel to it. Guess I will start to use here in the "State" even if no one understands me...

1 hour ago, SpecTP said:

just take care that there is an urban slang variant with a 'p'.. that is not so appropriate.

No worries there. I won't be using it.  Besides, I'm not familiar with American urban slang, so you may have to explain it in a PM.

I really wanted a red one but this pretty blue will do...

large.IMG_2527.PNG.fd5b947e029b21c032808c9d6b59547a.PNG

Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (lacquer over guilloche) in blue found in the local online classifieds. And, it seems, Diplomat no. 43 already. 😁

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

I really wanted a red one but this pretty blue will do...

large.IMG_2527.PNG.fd5b947e029b21c032808c9d6b59547a.PNG

Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (lacquer over guilloche) in blue found in the local online classifieds. And, it seems, Diplomat no. 43 already. 😁

Great taste for happy #43. To as many as you want, may they all be at least as nice! 

My newest pen just got here, a burgundy Parker Slimfold. I think it’s a broad, because there’s a B in chalk on the barrel. 

99C6EEBE-F0CF-4769-8666-090AF83A336A.jpeg

04ECD671-7FCF-418B-9259-7FADA1D12B7B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

My newest pen just got here, a burgundy Parker Slimfold. I think it’s a broad, because there’s a B in chalk on the barrel. 

99C6EEBE-F0CF-4769-8666-090AF83A336A.jpeg

04ECD671-7FCF-418B-9259-7FADA1D12B7B.jpeg

The pen is great, the assistant is even better.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That’s Sif Bot, my velcro birb. She’s very sweet. She thanks you for the compliment (but pressed enter before I was done typing).

Edited by Penguincollector

I need self control or I may as well have my paycheck direct deposited to Opus 88 or Endless Pens

Opus 88 Demonstrator Fountain Pen in Grey – Goldspot Pens

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

On 3/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, Gloucesterman said:

Asvine 169 FP.jpg

Darn you Gloucesterman! I broke down and ordered one of these, it showed up today!  

PAKMAN

On 3/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, Penguincollector said:

That’s Sif Bot, my velcro birb. She’s very sweet. She thanks you for the compliment (but pressed enter before I was done typing).

We had a military macaw and then a blue and gold.  BIG BIRDS. They were NOT sweet.

3 hours ago, HauntedMyst said:

I need self control or I may as well have my paycheck direct deposited to Opus 88 or Endless Pens

We are enablers.

1 hour ago, PAKMAN said:

Darn you Gloucesterman! I broke down and ordered one of these, it showed up today!  

And here is an example of enabling in action.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

If rollerball pens count, a Retro 51 Streamliner based on a Union Pacific locomotive that was high speed diesel electric.  

Posted Image