What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

I have just ordered a Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 in Aka-Tamenuri with a bicolor B-Nib.

Delivery Date: In about 6 - 12 months, so this could take a while until I will actually be able to post any pictures...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, carola said:

a Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 in Aka-Tamenuri

Oh wow. I just searched to see what that is. I can see why you would be prepared to wait!

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Another HongDian N1, from the official HongDian store on AliExpress no less, when I'm still miffed at them and don't want to give them any more business, and I have no real use for another N1 pen; they're nice-looking but not that great, in terms of the EF nibs' writing precision and cap sealing effectiveness. (I have my reasons, though, for going through with it.)

Another Majohn T5, intended to be given to a friend when she's ready to play with nib swapping (with JoWo #6 and compatible nibs). Not the greatest low-cost piston-filler for a number of reasons, but Majohn's (or Moonman's) 35mm EF nibs are among the better, narrower EF nibs of that form factor to come out of China, and the pen's reservoir can hold quite a lot of ink, even though there is an issue with the filling mechanism's design as well as difficulty with cleaning it thorough when switching inks. The styling of the pen model takes after the Aurora Optima (but isn't exactly the same size), and will appeal to my no-longer-a-total-neophyte Italian friend, who perhaps isn't quite ready to move up to >$200 pens yet; and the other Italian pens that would appeal and probably make an OK platform for being glorified nib holders for JoWo #6 nibs is Leonardo Momento Zero, but I personally dislike Leonardo. The finish and hand feel of the matt black version of the Majohn T5 is actually pretty good better than the glossy ones with the dark coloured ‘fireworks’. So, it's a capable and comfortable workhorse pen if you just want to write with the same ink (at least with that pen) all the time, occasionally changing nibs if you really want to.

A HongDian 6016, not bought from the official HongDian store. It's one of those pens I've been eyeing for a while now, mainly for the decorated cap; but I trust it will write as competently as any of the other ‘smaller’ HongDian pens that use 26mm nibs in threaded, interchangeable nib units.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Multiple cheap Chinese piston-fillers (NoNami, Wing Sung), and I love them.  I stubbed a Pilot-looking feed one with nail clippers, and filled the NoNamis with inks from Diamine's 2021 InkVent. Loads of fun.  

Based on a review here, I'm tempted to get the set of six Jinhao 991.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Having just paid for a commissioned pen (from Blackrobin) on top of several other relatively pricey purchases, I swore I was done buying pens for a little while... Less than 36 hours later, I've bought a cute and compact Diplomat Depeche from, I think, the late 90s or early 2000s. I couldn't resist because this was the cheapest I had seen it and they don't come up all that often, but I'm still going to blame everyone on here who has been posting about pocket pens lately! ;)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:35 PM, carola said:

I have just ordered a Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 in Aka-Tamenuri with a bicolor B-Nib.

Delivery Date: In about 6 - 12 months, so this could take a while until I will actually be able to post any pictures...

Yes; when looking at Nakayas, I thank great Cthulhu that my Yorkshire blood complains about the prospect of paying ‘that bloody much’ for a ‘mere c/c pen’, and also that my Hypochondria insists that I ‘obviously’ need to shun Urushi 😁

Your inbound-pen is a Thing of Beauty, and it will undoubtedly give you many years of writing pleasure :thumbup:  

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

16 hours ago, Mercian said:

Yes; when looking at Nakayas, I thank great Cthulhu that my Yorkshire blood complains about the prospect of paying ‘that bloody much’ for a ‘mere c/c pen’, and also that my Hypochondria insists that I ‘obviously’ need to shun Urushi 😁

Your inbound-pen is a Thing of Beauty, and it will undoubtedly give you many years of writing pleasure :thumbup:  

I hope so.

And ordering a pen that is going to be delivered in about a year's time in the current... umm... global situation is a personal statement of hope from me to myself.

Well, I made it three months. Mainly by deleting emails from Goldspot, Anderson and Valentina without opening them. On a lark, I decided to check out Val's newsletter today and now have two Hastils, a Solid Silver Microsquares and a Marco Polo Minerali (blue laquer) FR/BP set on order. Both are stated to be NOS with original boxes and papers.

The gun-metal Ferrari I got from her looks great and writes beautifully but the thick clip adds a lot of weight (the cap feels heavier than the pen) and I'd been thinking a standard Hastil, with its thin clip, wouldn't have the same problem. The Marco set has a similar thin clip and I only threw it in as it seemed extremely reasonable (1/3 les than the Hastil) for a "very rare and sought after model, only made for 1 year for the Italian market".

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Franklin Christoph modified 03 with 14k fine nib.

I wouldn’t say this was impulsive, as I have been thinking about it for a long time…but I have to admit, I’m a little underwhelmed.  I find that the FC pen I have with the same #6 size steel nib writes nicer.  The gold nib is just as stiff as the steel, a touch wetter, and has a lot more feedback than the steel.  The steel nib is much smoother and more pleasant to write with.  As for the line width, I would say it’s a touch broader than the FC steel fine.  Very similar to the Pelikan M200 steel nib.  

The pen itself is pretty, the color is “Cathedral”…which I think is one of their newer options.  I like the size of the 03…but for the price with the gold nib upgrade, I could have bought a Pilot pen for the same or less, and probably would have been happier with the performance.  I’m hoping that I’ll find the right ink and paper combination to make me fall in love with it.

Well, I guess I can cross this pen off my wishlist…..but now that I’m slightly disappointed, I need to immediately buy another pen to make myself feel better….

F4450E1A-1706-4C11-96E1-A5537FB633E2.jpeg

On 3/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, Mister K said:

I overpaid for a grey 400nn more than a month ago. Still waiting for it to clear customs in Chicago. I thought I had a 400 in grey but it turns out I already had it in the 400nn format.  Oh well. Sometimes I need a reminder I am a moron. 

Haha, I’ve done this, but only with ink and paper so far…and plenty of other things not pen related.

It's not my fault, I snapped I tells ya, I snapped!

Image 1 - ROTRING FOUNTAIN PEN  MODEL RIVE MADE IN GERMANY 1980's NIB SIZE #F

Image 61 - ROTRING FOUNTAIN PEN  MODEL RIVE MADE IN GERMANY 1980's NIB SIZE #F

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

I think I like that shape, how is it to write with? And, by the way, what is it?

On 4/1/2022 at 6:52 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Another HongDian N1, from the official HongDian store on AliExpress no less, when I'm still miffed at them and don't want to give them any more business, and I have no real use for another N1 pen; they're nice-looking but not that great, in terms of the EF nibs' writing precision and cap sealing effectiveness. (I have my reasons, though, for going through with it.)

Another Majohn T5, intended to be given to a friend when she's ready to play with nib swapping (with JoWo #6 and compatible nibs). Not the greatest low-cost piston-filler for a number of reasons, but Majohn's (or Moonman's) 35mm EF nibs are among the better, narrower EF nibs of that form factor to come out of China, and the pen's reservoir can hold quite a lot of ink, even though there is an issue with the filling mechanism's design as well as difficulty with cleaning it thorough when switching inks. The styling of the pen model takes after the Aurora Optima (but isn't exactly the same size), and will appeal to my no-longer-a-total-neophyte Italian friend, who perhaps isn't quite ready to move up to >$200 pens yet; and the other Italian pens that would appeal and probably make an OK platform for being glorified nib holders for JoWo #6 nibs is Leonardo Momento Zero, but I personally dislike Leonardo. The finish and hand feel of the matt black version of the Majohn T5 is actually pretty good better than the glossy ones with the dark coloured ‘fireworks’. So, it's a capable and comfortable workhorse pen if you just want to write with the same ink (at least with that pen) all the time, occasionally changing nibs if you really want to.

A HongDian 6016, not bought from the official HongDian store. It's one of those pens I've been eyeing for a while now, mainly for the decorated cap; but I trust it will write as competently as any of the other ‘smaller’ HongDian pens that use 26mm nibs in threaded, interchangeable nib units.

Do you have enough pens now to write w a new one each day of the year :)  

No, but I have enough inked to be able to use a different one every day for a week.

22 hours ago, HauntedMyst said:

It's not my fault, I snapped I tells ya, I snapped!

Image 1 - ROTRING FOUNTAIN PEN  MODEL RIVE MADE IN GERMANY 1980's NIB SIZE #F

Image 61 - ROTRING FOUNTAIN PEN  MODEL RIVE MADE IN GERMANY 1980's NIB SIZE #F

I had one of those at one time.  Rotring correct?

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 4/7/2022 at 11:24 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I think I like that shape, how is it to write with? And, by the way, what is it?

It's a Rotring Rive.   I don't have it yet, it will probably take a few weeks.

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

12 hours ago, dftr said:

Do you have enough pens now to write w a new one each day of the year

No, because most of my >300 fountain pens are no longer new. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

No, because most of my >300 fountain pens are no longer new. :)

:lticaptd:gotta love semantics! lol

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.