Edison

Kuscer

I own a Copper Flake Herald. So far, it is the best writing, best looking pen that I own. I purchased a few Conklins (current "Yafa" Conklins) beforehand, and I'm glad that I did....mostly because it gave me a baseline on how much better an Edison pen was. The "feel" is better (the way the material feels to the skin), the balance is better (it's well balanced either posted or not), the weight is less (which is a great advantage if writing a lot) and finally the medium steel nib is smooth. Very smooth. I own 3 Conklin pens and two of them are definitely scratchy (one fine, and one medium nib). One of them has leaked twice on me, and I should probably return it (while using cartridges). The third one I would describe as "meh" compared to the Edison (which is "WOW" in smoothness of the nib).

I also own a Bexley 58. It's a nice pen, and it's smooth, but it's not as nice as the Edison.

So, to summarize: I really like my Edison, it's my favorite pen, and I ended up order a second one from Goulet (their Christmasy Green Nouveau with a medium nub). I cannot wait for that pen to arrive!

post-120708-0-37035600-1424576199_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-68734100-1424576324_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-60094800-1424576328_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• N1003U

• Ayami_109

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own a Beaumont in sapphire flake with a broad nib. I have never had a starting problem with it, but I did flush the whole system with slightly soapy water before use. There was some residue came out so this might help if you have problems with ink flow.

I own a Hudson and am besotted with it.

EVERYTHING about it is spot on for me :wub: . Its balance, its nib, its behaviour, its looks.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_edison_hudson_pen.jpg

• 3 years later...

I own a Copper Flake Herald. So far, it is the best writing, best looking pen that I own. I purchased a few Conklins (current "Yafa" Conklins) beforehand, and I'm glad that I did....mostly because it gave me a baseline on how much better an Edison pen was. The "feel" is better (the way the material feels to the skin), the balance is better (it's well balanced either posted or not), the weight is less (which is a great advantage if writing a lot) and finally the medium steel nib is smooth. Very smooth. I own 3 Conklin pens and two of them are definitely scratchy (one fine, and one medium nib). One of them has leaked twice on me, and I should probably return it (while using cartridges). The third one I would describe as "meh" compared to the Edison (which is "WOW" in smoothness of the nib).

I also own a Bexley 58. It's a nice pen, and it's smooth, but it's not as nice as the Edison.

So, to summarize: I really like my Edison, it's my favorite pen, and I ended up order a second one from Goulet (their Christmasy Green Nouveau with a medium nub). I cannot wait for that pen to arrive!

I hope Edison makes some of their seasonal or limited edition acrylics standard. Or, at least they can bring them back in a cyclical fashion so that those of us who missed out the first time can purchase them.

pen_master

I hope Edison makes some of their seasonal or limited edition acrylics standard. Or, at least they can bring them back in a cyclical fashion so that those of us who missed out the first time can purchase them.

+1

• 1 year later...

Being a bit new here on FPN, I am not sure what the protocol/custom is for bumping old threads, but from the title, it didn't seem worth it to open a new one, and the above discussion seems not too dated and relevant to what I wanted to say.

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents' worth on my personal experience to date with Edison pens.

I have been an Edison customer now for about 3 years. I started with a single Premiere, which has one of the best steel nibs I own, and based on my continued enjoyment, and meeting the Grays at the 2019 Chicago Pen Show, in 2019, I have purchased four other Edison models to try out and add to my pen hoard collection:

• Premiere in Cappuccino
  • Extended Mina in Cobalt Flake
  • Pearlette in Fingerpaints
  • Brockton in Miami Nights
  • Herald Grande in Jonathan Brooks Nebula (clipless).

The Premier has a #6 M nib (I think Edison sources their nibs from JoWo) that might be the nicest steel nib I have ever written with. Butter smooth (almost imperceptible feedback), reliable start-up, even after weeks of sitting around, and nary a skip. Usually inked with Iroshizuku Yama-guri. The pen is for my hand a nice medium/wide girth, and I really like the lightweight construction that is at the same time very precise and solid-feeling.

The Extended Mina has a #5 EF nib, that is a bit stiff, with a fair amount of feedback (I suppose not surprising for a steel EF nib, but also a reliable performer, and still reasonably smooth on smoother paper surfaces. With the EF nib, find I can write about 10-15 A4 sized pages of notes without refilling. Typically the Mina is filled with Iroshizuku Kon-peki.

The Pearlette is maybe my favorite so far, probably because I find it comparable in size to my beloved Pelikan M200s, and it is super for pocket carry and in general every day driving. My only gripe is that the nib (a #5 steel M) is a bit skippy and sometimes hard starts. It writes buttery smoothly for a while and then seems to get temperamental in the middle of things. I am left handed, and I find the nib especially doesn't like to be pushed upward on start-up, and it if far more angle sensitive than my other Edisons. It is typically inked with Diamine Oxblood. Maybe next time I am at a show when Edison is also in attendance, I will get someone to take a look at the nib. But a nice pen. The section looks to my eyes to be identical to the one on the Mina, which is on the small side but still comfortable for me. Again I love the lightweight, precision machining, and great polish on a very playful and colorful material.

I just bought the Brockton a couple of months ago, and I haven't used it much, but I do like it's combination of shortness when capped and decent girth. When posted, the Brockton feels like a much larger pen than it does in my pocket. I will probably usually ink it with something black or close to black (say, Edelstein Onyx). The nib is exactly as advertised, a #6 steel M, medium wet, with a hint of feedback. Exactly as advertised.

The Herald Grande just arrived a couple of days ago, and I am currently traveling, so I have only seen the pre-shipping photos, but I look forward to tying it out when I get back home in a few days. I have grown to like pens with more girth, and I am anxious to see if how well I like a fatter pen that is also quite light. I ordered the pen clipless so as to minimize the disturbance to the pattern of the very cool-looking Jonathon Brooks material. If the nib is like the other Edison #6s that I have tried, and the material has the "ton of depth" that has been described to me, I think I am REALLY going to like the pen.

very nice pens and tuned nibs.

Edison uses Jowo nibs, but my experience is they are individually tuned and feel smoother than ordinary Jowos and flow is adjusted to be perfect (I have not experienced dryness or hard starts). Being Jowo threaded, you can also very easily change nibs.

The Collier is a very nice pen, I like the shape and the concave section, big, but very comfortable to hold.

The Pearl is a stunning pen too, Brian made a custom Pearl for me in flecked tortoise which is eye candy

This is the Pearl

fpn_1580506058__p1150449-3_edison_pearl_

My antique marble Collier, this is a nice material too

fpn_1580506362__p1180846-3_edison_collie

I have only one Edison pen, a Premiere Nouveau in Cranberry. It is a simply beautiful pen. It also writes well.

The thing that is important in regard to Edison pens is their esthetics. Yes, if you want, you can get an interesting filing mechanism. And if you want a custom pen, literally made for you and possibly the only one ever made with the nib, material and model combination of your choice, Edison is one of the few places to get one, and at a reasonable price. But the most important feature is that they are truely beautiful pens, not simply striking, well balanced and thoughtfully engineered, which they are, but that they are beautiful.

Despite much smaller production than many of their competitors, I believe Edison Pens will, model after model become classics in the History of Pen Manufacturing; no small accomplishment given the long history of Fountain Pen Manufacture and the idea some hold that everything has already been done.

I will be getting more Edison pens, as I pare down the pens I have, as I have more than I need. The only pen manufactuer I can compare them to is Nakaya, and that companies products are well beyond my budget.

We talk about Fountain Pens possibly being works of art, Edison Pens are works of art.

Edited by Parker51

I picked up a Brockton in cream soda and I really enjoy it. It works great in a shirt pocket and feels just as good in hand. It's not perfect. The acrylic has a top and bottom and the cap and body don't line up. Actually it would if the the barrel engraving lined up with the clip, the top and bottom shine would line up as well.

If the clip is at 12 O'Clock the engraving lines up at 11, 2, 5, and 8. On other pens they normally line up at 12,3,6, and 9. I almost sent it back, but decided I liked it anyways and when its on a stand with the clip facing up, the engraving points at a nice viewing angle.

​Does the Edison engraving line up with the clip on other pens if you start it at the right thread entry point?

Also a long term fan, last year I added another custom Collier in ebonite, plus one of the Edison Goulet Nouveau Premieres.

I do wish someone in EU would do an Edison custom pen the way Goulet do...

I know it is not really the same thing as a special edition, but I have noticed that Edison is starting to make changes more often in their so-called production line with new materials, and Edison does have a couple of dealers in the EU (OK, as of this week, one in the EU, and the other in the UK... :P )

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/edison-c-1_529.html

https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/brands/edison-pens/

OK, I need some help picking out my next Edition pen. What I have now are five Edisons (see list and picture below), and I am looking for a sixth to fill up a six-pen roll. Something colorful that is different from the Edisons that I already have:

• Herald Grande in Nebula (Jonathon Brooks custom material)
  • Premier in Cappuccino (standard production from Goulet Pens)
  • Extended Mina in Cobalt Flake (custom)
  • Brockton in Miami Nights (new group buy/limited edition)
  • Pearlette in Fingerpaints (standard production)

What model and material should I consider? I am looking for some inspiration. These pens will form an EDC roll that I keep in my briefcase, inked in some kind of black, blue, brown, red, and two other "fun" colors that change from time to time (such as purple or green or orange or who knows what).

Something in a red tone?

Yellow/green striated?

Classic black?

Electric green?

fpn_1581028614__edison_5.jpeg

Edited by N1003U

• 1 month later...

I finally had a chance to spend some quality time with my new Herald Grande (see above, far left), and it is another lovely writer. It's big, (cf. MB149 for basic size and shape), light (only ~25g capped), and as usual the Grays tuned the #6 F JoWo nib to be "7/10 wet and smooth, with just a touch of feedback" to my hand (on Rhodia paper), and almost, but not quite, perfectly butter smooth on 52g Tomoe River. The Jonathon Brooks material is also lovely--even better up close in person and especially in strong light. It has a ton of depth. The performance of the pen on 52g Tomoe River paper can be seen on Post #3155 of the "What Does Your Handwriting Look Like?" thread in the Handwriting and Handwriting Improvement forum.

And: I did decide on my next Edison. Instead of buying new from Edison or one of their retailers, I wound up buying a used copper flake Herald at a fair price from a fellow FPNer who is trying to downsize a bit (also can be seen in Post #3155 referenced above). I am really getting into adding Edisons to my hoard collection.

The thing I like about Edison pens (besides that the Edison Pen Company is a joy to do business with and they will make you just about whatever you want that is within their technical capability, and their prices are "OK" for what you get) is that without much effort you can assemble a collection a collection of them that shines brightly and explodes with color, in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Another thing I noticed since acquiring my latest couple of Edisons: Their new CNC machining equipment (and/or improvements in their machine processes) have made a noticeable (at least to me) difference in the quality of pen components. My Edison pens were always smooth and tight, but somehow the past couple I bought seem even a bit more precise in terms of thread smoothness and joint precision. Maybe it is my imagination, but I think what were already well-made pens are now even a touch better.

In some ways, there is not much more I could ask for. (well, there is more, but I think I will settle for what Edison offers at this point in time--it's a great company with solid products).

Edited by N1003U

I finally had a chance to spend some quality time with my new Herald Grande (see above, far left), and it is another lovely writer. It's big, (cf. MB149 for basic size and shape), light (only ~25g capped), and as usual the Grays tuned the #6 F JoWo nib to be "7/10 wet and smooth, with just a touch of feedback" to my hand (on Rhodia paper), and almost, but not quite, perfectly butter smooth on 52g Tomoe River. The Jonathon Brooks material is also lovely--even better up close in person and especially in strong light. It has a ton of depth. The performance of the pen on 52g Tomoe River paper can be seen on Post #3155 of the "What Does Your Handwriting Look Like?" thread in the Handwriting and Handwriting Improvement forum.

And: I did decide on my next Edison. Instead of buying new from Edison or one of their retailers, I wound up buying a used copper flake Herald at a fair price from a fellow FPNer who is trying to downsize a bit (also can be seen in Post #3155 referenced above). I am really getting into adding Edisons to my hoard collection.

The thing I like about Edison pens (besides that the Edison Pen Company is a joy to do business with and they will make you just about whatever you want that is within their technical capability, and their prices are "OK" for what you get) is that without much effort you can assemble a collection a collection of them that shines brightly and explodes with color, in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Another thing I noticed since acquiring my latest couple of Edisons: Their new CNC machining equipment (and/or improvements in their machine processes) have made a noticeable (at least to me) difference in the quality of pen components. My Edison pens were always smooth and tight, but somehow the past couple I bought seem even a bit more precise in terms of thread smoothness and joint precision. Maybe it is my imagination, but I think what were already well-made pens are now even a touch better.

In some ways, there is not much more I could ask for. (well, there is more, but I think I will settle for what Edison offers at this point in time--it's a great company with solid products).

Congrats! I don't have an Edison yet, though sensenri's flecked tortoise one above makes me tempted :)

• 3 weeks later...

I now have two Edison pens. I got a Menlo at the 2014 Chicago pen show, and a custom Beaumont C/C pen arrived today in Molten Ores. Goulet Pens renamed Molten Ores for their winter 2016 Nouveau Premiere as Mystical Myrrh.

I recommend looking at the photos at Edisons smugmug page. So many beautiful materials to see at that site. Its how I found Molten Ores.

The Beaumont

fpn_1587250727__9ffe9828-edff-41a1-86e3-

The Menlo:

fpn_1587265648__538c10e8-e2a7-435d-b837-

Posted Image

Your perception may well be accurate as prior to the new CNC machines some custom production was actually made by Brian by hand. Brian has spent a very large amount of time and effort programming the new machines which are truely state of the art. This has enabled him to hold down his prices while maintaining extremely high quality and a cash flow sufficient to support his family and his very skilled employees. When I was at his facility, one of the things he mentioned was the ability of the new machines to create more precise parts. The only negative related to the new machines is as there is no such thing as a Fountain Pen part making machine, nor Fountain Pen design program, so he had to program the machines himself, from scratch based upon the designs he created. His process is interesting in that he designs the pens and then makes the initial models himself by hand, adjusts them based on his evaluations and only after he is pleased with a pen and has it in hand and has actually written with it does he program the CNC machines to make the parts so as to match his design. I believe this hands on approach is one of the principle reasons his pens look and feel so very good, one designer executing the entire design from idea to final product. Edited by Parker51

Congrats! I don't have an Edison yet, though sensenri's flecked tortoise one above makes me tempted :)

B) took me some time choosing... Edison has this picture carousel on their site... I spent hours watching it go round before I made up my mind...

I now have two Edison pens. I got a Menlo at the 2014 Chicago pen show, and a custom Beaumont C/C pen arrived today in Molten Ores. Goulet Pens renamed Molten Ores for their winter 2016 Nouveau Premiere as Mystical Myrrh.

I recommend looking at the photos at Edisons smugmug page. So many beautiful materials to see at that site. Its how I found Molten Ores.

The Beaumont

fpn_1587250727__9ffe9828-edff-41a1-86e3-

The Menlo:

fpn_1587265648__538c10e8-e2a7-435d-b837-

Wow, beautiful pen. Nice choice.