Edison

Kuscer

Thank you @WLSpec. I have wanted a Beaumont in Molten Ores for a few years. At first, I wanted the Beaumont with pneumatic filler in Molten Ores. While I debated, Edison had a price increase. Not bad, but it helped my delay.

I realized the Sheaffer snorkel desk set pen I had was a pneumatic filler. That meant I could save $100 by getting the Beaumont as a converter filler pen instead of pneumatic filler. Once I decided what route to take to repair the Menlo, I went ahead and ordered the Beaumont. Im glad I finally got the Beaumont in Molten Ores.

Now I wouldnt mind finding a used Edison/Goulet Nouveau Premiere in (Molten Ores) Mystical Myrrh. There is a different version in Classified in the Aztec Gold color.

Edited to correct color name of pen in Classifieds

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• N1003U

• sansenri

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just spent three intense days with an Edison Herald Grande, the first time I have really given the pen a good workout since it arrived a couple of months ago. I went through almost 3 fills of ink, which is over 25 A4 pages of writing with a JoWo F nib. Perhaps one of these days I will write up a proper review, but for now I'll leave just some initial impressions.

I really like the pen. Dimensionally it is very similar to a MB 149 (or any number of other cigar-shaped pens in that size range), but it is very light. It is a machined acrylic pen, with a cartridge converter filling system, or also very easy to eyedropper, it you are not those sorts of kinky things. The Grays still (as far as I know) hand-tune all of the nibs that leave their factory, and they generally tune them well. My Herald Grande was no exception. The #6 steel JoWo nib performed flawlessly (also in reverse mode), and the wide tapered section makes it east to find a comfortable grip. Very smooth, no skips, no hard starts, not much sensitivity to writing angle. Pleasant.

The Jonathon Brooks material from which the pen was made (Edison calls it "Nebula") is a very dark blue (almost black), somewhat translucent, with random swirls of lighter blue, white, and red, along with some sparkly bits mixed in, that gives the material a very galactic look. I like the material. It is the same material Edison used recently for one of their limited editions, and when I learned there was some material left over from the LE build, I ordered the biggest (or maybe second biggest) pen Edison offers.

If anyone out there is on the fence about an Edison pen, I can only encourage you to try one out. If you don't like Edison's pricing, which I find very fair for their "Production Line" and less attractive but still reasonable for their "Signature line, there are occasionally some used Edisons that pop up in the classifieds. I bought a used Herald recently a decent price that was in great shape. I keep reminding myself that Edison is really flexible with what they offer and are a pleasure to work with as a company, and they will work out something fair for everyone whenever one of their pens develops a problem.

I have large palms with longish fingers but a somewhat shortish thumb, so for whatever reason, my fingers tend to naturally come together rather curved), so a fatter barrel (especially at the far back end) tends to be more comfortable for me (which is also, I think, why I typically prefer my pens posted). The Herald Grande is very light (including a light cap), so despite being large, it is neither unbalanced nor unwieldy (at least not in my hand).

The wide grip section and light weight made for me a very relaxed writing experience. Overall, a really nice pen in a unique and attractive material.

• 3 months later...

Edison Pen Company announced late last week that they are removing their Pearlette model from the Production Line, which is for me a little bit sad, as I have a couple Pearlettes, and I like them very much. Now if I decide sometime I want another one, it will be a lot more expensive. I guess I could console myself that my choice of colors and other options (like filling systems and nibs) has just gotten better, but now the starting point is not US$169, but US$250.

The Pearlette is to my hand strikingly close in its significant dimensions to the Pelikan M200, and it has a similar weight and balance as the Pelikan M200, which might explain why I personally like the pen, and perhaps part of the reason why I am an Edison fan anyway. I have a few custom Edisons, but my go-to workhorse Edisons are my Pearlettes.

Edison also has another "smaller" pen in their Production Line, the Beaumont, which appears only slightly larger than the Pearlette, so perhaps I need to break down and check one out.

For those not familiar with Edison's pricing (which is probably very few reading this thread, now that I think about it), Edison generally sells custom pens based on about a dozen or so different models. If one examines the individual models closely, they are unique to Edison, but many have striking similarities to some classic pens. You pick the model, the material/colors, the material and width of nib, the filling system (C/C is usually standard, and Edison offers a selection of what are essentially vacuum fill systems or variations thereof), and any customizations you can think up that Edison is willing to manufacture. I think this is the core strength of the Edison product offering: if you want something special in a pen, and Edison can make it technically, they will do it for you (for a price, of course, but they are VERY accommodating, IME.

The prices start at about US$250, and go up from there, based on the options you choose and any custom work agreed. Edison generally has firm but reasonable pricing. Edison calls these custom pens their "Signature Line". Most of the parts are turned on high-end CNC machining centers, so the standard build quality is fantastic*, but there is still a lot of hand work and skill involved in loading the correct programs, loading the material, and generally assembling, checking, finishing and polishing pens one at a time.

If one is willing to compromise on model and color availability, and settle for a simple C/C filling system, Edison sells a few models in specific colors via retailer dealers for lower prices (I think about $169 last time I looked). They offer the lower price because instead of a one-off model, they can makle the pens in batches and save manufacturing time. Edison calls these batch-produced pens their "Production Line".

This is my other Collier in blue steel, which I actually bough as my first Edison.

I've never gotten round to taking my own picture of it (in my standard setting background :) ) because Brian's picture was already very neat!

I like the size and shape of the Collier, it's a large pen, but comfortable to hold due to the hourglass section, and very important for me has no step down to disturb my fingers. It's a modern looking pen but with comfort of the best classic designs.

fpn_1599065899__collier_blue2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Menlo - Sweet Honey (F)

I bought this pen from Goulet because I wanted something for the Single Malt ink. The "fingerpaints" might actually have been a better match, since it has a lot of orange. But this golden baby is a stunner and seems less frivolous. 

I have wanted a Menlo for some time now. It's the third Edison I have owned - the other two being Pearlettes. I still have one of the Pearlettes and will post a pic later. I grabbed it from Goldspot because they are starting to disappear from the "production" line. I love the Pearlette, though the Medium nib is quite fine. I may need to upgrade it to a Broad, though Edison #5 units are also starting to be difficult to find. 

179990615_dniaotz8at761.jpg

Edited by NumberSix
add photo

have to say i am a fan of the menlo as well - this pen is in and out of rotation and the draw filler system is dependable.  i found the nib tuned as asked for - this was set up perfectly by brian to write well out of the box.  pretty happy with their customer service as well with fast responses to queries even in the middle of a pandemic year.  

20201229_132138.jpg

Edison sells unmarked nibs at meisternibs.com. Brian Gray let me know about this site because I wanted a #5 nib unit for an Italix pen. He let me know that the unmarked nibs cost a little less, plus the idea of a marked Edison nib on a non-Edison pen did not appeal to him. 

Posted Image

21 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Edison sells unmarked nibs at meisternibs.com. Brian Gray let me know about this site because I wanted a #5 nib unit for an Italix pen. He let me know that the unmarked nibs cost a little less, plus the idea of a marked Edison nib on a non-Edison pen did not appeal to him. 

Thanks for the reminder! I was trying to remember that site. 

I once put an Edison Medium on a Noodler's Neponset, and it was glorious. I regret very few of the pens I ended up selling or trading away, but that's one of them. . .

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Is the Italix pen the Parson's Essential? What nib unit did you get? Thanks. 

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

It was a Parsons Essential (amber).  The nib i chose for it didn’t write well. Someone thought it had a baby’s bottom nib. I took it to pen club, and the knowledgeable nib members said it was fine, and to try a wet ink. I put De Atramentis Mint Turquoise in it, and it wrote. That let the Opus 88 have the unmarked Edison nib. 

The nib unit I got from meisternibs.com was a #5 in 1.1mm italic. I really like the way it writes. 

Posted Image

23 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@NumberSix glad I could help. That unmarked #5 nib fit my Opus 88 Picnic pen too. I got the 1.1mm italic. 

I was looking for a silver #5 unit in Broad, to use on my Pearlette (and a two-tone #6 Medium for my Menlo) - and the usual sites are either out of stock or else don't carry the #5 units anymore. I finally found them at iPenstore, but my backup option would have been this website.

I may yet get a stub from here. 

38 minutes ago, Misfit said:

It was a Parsons Essential (amber).  The nib i chose for it didn’t write well. Someone thought it had a baby’s bottom nib. I took it to pen club, and the knowledgeable nib members said it was fine, and to try a wet ink. I put De Atramentis Mint Turquoise in it, and it wrote. That let the Opus 88 have the unmarked Edison nib. 

The nib unit I got from meisternibs.com was a #5 in 1.1mm italic. I really like the way it writes. 

Thanks. I may pick-up a couple of spare units for various pens. I'm guessing they're JoWo nibs and JoWo nib units. Good price considering the nib alone is as much as 15-20 dollars on well-known pen retailer sites.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

Yes on the price, and some choices in finishes. They also have a tutorial on how to remove the nib from the unit in case the whole assembly does not work on the target pen. 

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

This has been an interesting thread for me as my next purchase may well be an Edison.

I just have difficulty deciding on the Collier or Menlo (c/c).

At least some of the models are available via The Writing Desk in the UK.

3 hours ago, Topcat666 said:

This has been an interesting thread for me as my next purchase may well be an Edison.

I just have difficulty deciding on the Collier or Menlo (c/c).

At least some of the models are available via The Writing Desk in the UK.

Standard Edison pens are typically light for their size classes; by default they are acrylic pens (CNC machined from solid material blanks), and fitted with a cartridge converter fill system, and a hand-tuned-in-the-factory Jowo nib (default steel, gold for ~$100 extra. Construction quality is outstanding.

Here is a relative size comparison of most of the Edison pens if that helps decide which model is more desirable.

(Hint to Brian Gray: it is [actually way past] time to update this picture with all of the available models)

The smallest pen model in Edison's stable is the Pearlette (sadly recently discontinued from the Production Line), which has similar dimensions as a Pelikan M200. The Heard Grande, one of the largest pens Edison makes, I suspect very strongly, was influenced by the MB149, which is curiously similar in size, shape, and even section dimensions to the 149. I own both of these models and enjoy them very much.

Though I have never had one in my hand, the Menlo looks to be about the size of a Pilot Custom something-or-other (say an 823). The Menlo looks to be a nice medium large size, and many folks find it attractive. I just don't own one and have never used one, so I can't say. But I like the way it looks, too, and look forward to trying one out some day. I can say I own six different models of Edison pens, and I haven't yet met one I don't like (though the Extended Mina is maybe my least favorite to use, despite being my first Edison custom pen, and maybe one of the most attractive-looking pens I own).

I don't own a Collier, but I have had one in my hand and written a few lines with one, and the Collier has pretty high priority in my targeting system, whenever resources become available to hunt one. It is a BIG pen, but not in an uncomfortable way, and still very light. I find it well-balanced with a very comfortable grip section. The pen does not post, though I can't imagine anyone needing to, unless one has a posting fetish, in which case the Collier is definitely not the right pen.

Do let us know what you decide to do, and how the purchase works out. I enjoy hearing experiences from other Edison pen fans, and even Edison non-fans.

Thanks,N1003U,

That was very informative and helpful.

Such a fast reply too!

If the Menlo is similar in size to the 823 then that would be fine for me.

I know what you mean, I think, by the Collier.

I haver between the Menlo and Collier and suspect I will choose by colour: Sweet Honey (Menlo) vs Antique Marble (Collier) both of which appear to be available in the UK.

Thanks again for the help.

• 1 month later...

After a brief flirtation with maybe buying an Italian pen (see the Italy forum if really interested), I have today ordered an Edison Collier in pearlescent juniper with a fine nib.

I'll admit the seller did have a Pelikan 800 blue stripe in stock which caused me to waver for a while but the Collier won the day.

Hopefully, it will be here within a week or so.

Not quite Italian but lovely coloured acrylic and made in or about Milan I gather.

Stay sane,everyone.

Congratulations on the Edison you chose. I looked at the juniper color, and it is lovely. The pen will be even better looking once you get it. 

Posted Image

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Topcat666 said:

After a brief flirtation with maybe buying an Italian pen (see the Italy forum if really interested), I have today ordered an Edison Collier in pearlescent juniper with a fine nib.

I'll admit the seller did have a Pelikan 800 blue stripe in stock which caused me to waver for a while but the Collier won the day.

Hopefully, it will be here within a week or so.

Not quite Italian but lovely coloured acrylic and made in or about Milan I gather.

Stay sane,everyone.

@Topcat666: I am bumping this thread to find out what you thought of your Edison Collier. It seems you debated a long time, and I was curious to learn how it worked out for you.

I still have not broken down and purchased a Collier, but I do have a custom Glenmont on the way in Mandarin Orange, which I understand is a dead ringer for Parker Orange. I ordered it with black finials, and from sone of the gallery pictures, it seems to give a little nod to the classic Parker “Big Red” Duofold. I look forward to seeing it in person.