Why Do So Many Japanese Pens Use C/c Almost Solely?

discopig

From what I recall reading, it only fits the Pilot Justus 95, Pilot Custom 74 and Pilot Metal Falcon.

Also Custom 742, 743 and 845, plus some of the Custom 9xx pens.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• proton007

• tinta

• discopig

Also Custom 742, 743 and 845, plus some of the Custom 9xx pens.

I took this from my post on brian goulet's Pilot Q&A

for the lazy people I'll break it down what Pilots Pens fit with the CON-70

Custom 845

Custom Wood

Elabo/Falcon

Justus

Custom Heritage 912

Custom 743

Legance

Custom 742

Custom Maple (under Custom Wood)

Custom 74

Custom Heritage 91

Prana Sutra (ye.... these are as expensive as the maki-e finish pens)

Maki-e series (Eastern Zodiac, Woodblock art, Laquer)

Marble Grain (expensive as the maki-e finish pens)

Assuming this is the CON-70 rest assuded the con-50 will fit also with any of the pens posted above

Piston fillers all the way for me. C/C hold too little ink.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I thought the Sheaffer snorkel solved all this....

C/c - cartridge/converter.

As opposed to what other system?

The benefit of a cartridge/converter system, and cartridges especially, is cleanliness.

One does not need to mess with little bottles of ink. Try spilling a cartridge. Do you need to wipe one?

I thought the Sheaffer snorkel solved all this....

The Snorkel is actually less capacity if not about the same as a cartridge, around 0.5 or so, with all the internal parts there's not that much room for a big sac. The "Fat" Touchdown is about 0.7ml. A Pilot cartridge in the sense of this thread is 0.9ml as is their Con-20 squeeze converter, a con-50 around 0.6-0.7 depending on the agitator in it.

The snorkel system is about convenience, not capacity. (and this was before cartridge pens were really all that popular).

Edited by KBeezie

Piston fillers all the way for me. C/C hold too little ink.

The Pilot CON-70 holds about 1.0 mL, which alot more than most other converters, and in the same range as low capacity piston fillers. Of course, there are other piston filler which hold alot more ink.

in the end we still know Eye droppers will still reign as ink capacity kings well depends on actually how big your pen is as the smallest eye dropper could be on par with an international short cartridge (Peter Pan Micropen or so according to Stephen Brown) but eh... it all depends on use in the end.

but still I think Japan has indeed "perfected" the C/C system

Did you not observe that even a cup of sake is much smaller than a glass of whiskey? :D

I think the Japanese value consistency, simplicity and durability and cartridge fillers offer all three. Those vacumatics are nice but neither simple nor durable. My first Montblanc pen's piston filler broke within a month and had to be sent away for service. Those Japanese cartidge pens will work years from now without trouble.

are you referring to the sake box? or just the actual cup it depends if you are being frugal or not... it is also known as Masu which ca be about .18L or 18L...

My Danitrio Genkai holds a Masu of ink! :unsure: But the most Japanese FP's with c/c have a capacity like that of a little cup of sake.

I think the Japanese value consistency, simplicity and durability and cartridge fillers offer all three. Those vacumatics are nice but neither simple nor durable. My first Montblanc pen's piston filler broke within a month and had to be sent away for service. Those Japanese cartidge pens will work years from now without trouble.

True. Ever tried a platinum cartridge? Those things will last a lifetime, more so than any converter or piston mechanism. Also, typical japanese pens are very easy and pretty straightforward to dissemble and clean. No need for any manual or tools, just a ultrasonic cleaner and a bit of patience.

By comparison, servicing a german piston filler can become a nightmare. I`m still scared of them even after handling a couple :crybaby:

Edited by rochester21

True. Ever tried a platinum cartridge? Those things will last a lifetime, more so than any converter or piston mechanism. Also, typical japanese pens are very easy and pretty straightforward to dissemble and clean. No need for any manual or tools, just a ultrasonic cleaner and a bit of patience.

By comparison, servicing a german piston filler can become a nightmare. I`m still scared of them even after handling a couple :crybaby:

I noticed you can get the top off the platinum cartridges to clean out the cartridges better, and put a little bit of silicone grease around it and pop it right back into the cartridge for even more re-filling. Also I don't think there's going to be much that will agitate the ink better than that huge ball-bearing they come with (though in a light pen like the 3776 I can really feel that ball bearing moving around).

If one contradicts all that kbeezie writes (which would be fairly easy), ones "post count" will rise exponentially! Ain't that fun?

This thread may have run its course.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Not really,... it just seems that this thread is derailing from its original question. Quite a common thing on these forums.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)