Which Conway Stewart Are You Using Today?

mallymal1

I myself am not sure. Mine looks like hard rubber. But it could be plastic. Vulcanite, I think, is a synonyme for hard rubber.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• warblerick

• darazs

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just been looking through Steve Hull's book, and there is a reference to sheds where plastic and vulcanite rods were stored, at Conway Stewart's Copperfield Road site as late as 1950/51.

So, are the black pens likely to have been vulcanite, which is indeed, hard rubber?

Edited by MalcolmH

What does this look like? Hard rubber or some kind of plastic? Barrel and cap look like the section. So if the section is hard rubber the barrel and cap may also be hard rubber.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 month later...

Today...

A 'Modern' 58, black, Broad nib.

A 'Vintage' 58, black, writes medium.

Both inked with Diamine Blue Velvet.

:thumbup:

Edited by MalcolmH

I spent a significant part of the weekend running dry some other pens, which have been in my daily use too long, so that I could change up for a while. I did not have any C-S pens in use for the past several months, and I miss having at least one or two in rotation.

A few days ago, I received a pen I have lusted after for several years, a Conway Stewart Lawyers Pen. I got it from Bespoke British Pens, but it is not their new model of the same name; it is a NOS C-S model, possibly the last one available. I am anxious to ink it and begin writing, even though the only nib choices were B and BB, which are a bit much for me. I got the B but, need I say? I'll be shopping for a genuine C-S nib in M or F, which fit my writing style better than B and BB.

The problem is, the feed was broken and, so, I haven't inked it yet. I think I can deal with it temporarily and, since Alastair just promised me a new feed in today's post, I am going to give it a shot this afternoon. I am still trying to decide which ink to use.

While I'm at it, I think I'll bring at least one more C-S into daily use for the next several weeks; I do have several - -but not enough - to choose from.

I spent a significant part of the weekend running dry some other pens, which have been in my daily use too long, so that I could change up for a while. I did not have any C-S pens in use for the past several months, and I miss having at least one or two in rotation.

A few days ago, I received a pen I have lusted after for several years, a Conway Stewart Lawyers Pen. I got it from Bespoke British Pens, but it is not their new model of the same name; it is a NOS C-S model, possibly the last one available. I am anxious to ink it and begin writing, even though the only nib choices were B and BB, which are a bit much for me. I got the B but, need I say? I'll be shopping for a genuine C-S nib in M or F, which fit my writing style better than B and BB.

The problem is, the feed was broken and, so, I haven't inked it yet. I think I can deal with it temporarily and, since Alastair just promised me a new feed in today's post, I am going to give it a shot this afternoon. I am still trying to decide which ink to use.

While I'm at it, I think I'll bring at least one more C-S into daily use for the next several weeks; I do have several - -but not enough - to choose from.

Congrats on the Lawyer! Bad news about the feed. I hope that the replacement works out.

coming back to Malcolm's Blue Herringbone 58, I recently found this matching pencil which has the imprint....

'The Conway No. 34

Conway Stewart London.

I've very little knowledge of this brand, and rely for much of my information on Jonathan Donahaye's data for these pens - and notice that his on line site states that the matching pencil for the 58 is No. 33. I think all of the herringbone patterned pens come from the later models.

So just a little curious as to the apparent anomaly between the Nos. 33 and 34.

Incidentally, my pencil is minus its clip - might there be a good source to enquire for a replacement does anyone know?

Edited by PaulS

attachicon.gifC.S. The Conway No. 34 pencil..jpg

coming back to Malcolm's Blue Herringbone 58, I recently found this matching pencil which has the imprint....

'The Conway No. 34

Conway Stewart London.

I've very little knowledge of this brand, and rely for much of my information on Jonathan Donahaye's data for these pens - and notice that his on line site states that the matching pencil for the 58 is No. 33. I think all of the herringbone patterned pens come from the later models.

So just a little curious as to the apparent anomaly between the Nos. 33 and 34.

Incidentally, my pencil is minus its clip - might there be a good source to enquire for a replacement does anyone know?

I think the 34 pencil is associated with the 77 pen, while the 58 pen was matched with the 33 pencil. :thumbup:

As for a spare clip...I'll keep my eyes open. Perhaps others could, too?

thanks Malcolm - appreciate your comments. I do have a 77 f.p. in red herringbone - pity it's not in blue - I get the impression that green in this pattern is the least common of the three colours, but could be wrong.

Not certain of the rarity of the 77 herringbones, but I would have said that the red is most common, followed by green, and then blue. But of course, I could be wrong too.

And as long as members are still perusing this thread, I am on the lookout for a CS nib - F - to fit my Lawyer's. I'll pay a reasonable price outright, or swap the B I have.

Thanks for any leads!

Is the nib unit specific to the Professional series?

I wish I knew the answer to that. Comparing it to my CS Churchill's F nib, they appear to be identical in every aspect except the F and B markings; i.e., same length (out of the section, entire nib), same width, same shape, same markings, "Conway Stewart 18K Gold." The feeds have some small differences in channel cuts along the top side, not the the ribs, but from all appearances they should be interchangeable.

If I knew a model/size number, perhaps I should be looking for that instead of specifically Lawyers Pen.

I've been writing with my CS Lawyers Pen this evening, and I am happy to say that the B nib is not overpowering for my hand.

I failed to mention one more obvious difference between the Lawyer and the Churchill nib: One is silver color, the other gold. Otherwise, they are still alike.