Italix Parson's Essential

Hutecker

11 hours ago, sgphototn said:

I have three Italix; Churchman's Prescriptor, Captain's Commission, and the Parson's Essential. All three are excellent values, well-made, heavy for the size, and the nibs are great. 

I currently have the amber Parson's Essential inked with KWZ IG Blue #5 and it's a pleasure to write with.

From what I've read Peter Ford, the owner of Italix, is retiring and looking to sell the business. Last I was aware of, he's selling his existing stock then that will be it.

That's sad as his pens have been mainstays for many years and quite a bargain for what you get.

Parsons Essential 2.jpg

How unfortunate, the news that he's looking to sell. My Parson's Essential is one of my favorite pens. I'd thought the Churchman's Prescriptor would be a bit heavy for me... but maybe it's time to make sure.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sgphototn

• InkNsap

• Hutecker

• Beechwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I saw it in his website but he said he didn’t recommend it for some reason. That it was better to get the whole pen.  Not sure why. 

On 1/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, Carrau said:

You know you can buy his nibs without the pens-you just have to make sure you’re buying the nib unit for the correct pen.  I’ve linked a YouTube video in which SBRE Brown demonstrates all the nibs available from Mr. Pens Italix series, so you can see examples of them.

6 minutes ago, InkNsap said:

Oh I saw it in his website but he said he didn’t recommend it for some reason. That it was better to get the whole pen.  Not sure why. 

I can imagine that he has had experience of people buying his nibs, fitting them incorrectly to their own pens and the pen failing to work, they might then have wanted  to return the nib.

A nib is not a fountain pen so I could probably get away with buying a couple and hoping for the best. I’d still be keeping my resolution of no more pens this year. 

21 minutes ago, Beechwood said:

I can imagine that he has had experience of people buying his nibs, fitting them incorrectly to their own pens and the pen failing to work, they might then have wanted  to return the nib.

What to do...?  💭 

I read the thing about the nibs, and I think he's probably had issues with people changing them, and not cleaning the removed unit before storing and then running into problems when they came to use them again. 

I will probably buy a spare or two (probably just the nib and feed option) - I just wish I'd done so before the prices went up quite a lot over the holiday period along with the compulsory special delivery - which might make it unrealistic. I still think they're good pens and decent nibs, which is more than be said for a lot of what's out there.

I’ve bought different extras for my Italix pens, and have had no issues swapping them out within the particular pen model.

I've  bought a couple of the Parsons Essentials in black with medium italic and broad stub nibs a few years apart. Both have been first-class workhorses/EDCs. However fairly early on the black lacquer/plastic coating on the barrel of the first one bubbled and flaked off in several areas showing the brass underneath, whereas the second has been perfect even though both have had generally equal use. The caps (and nibs too I should say) on both are still perfect. I'm still rather fond of the "flaky" pen even though it has a rather battered appearance.

(Is there such a thing as a rat pen - like rat bikes and cars? Would that make an interesting thread?)

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

JoWo nibs in #5 fit the Parson's Essential and JoWo #6 fit the Captain's Commission and Churchman's Prescriptor. I've swapped nibs from the Italix pens into other pens with ease.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

Japanese people have taught us to appreciate the used and broken. ☺️ Wabi-sabi 

4 hours ago, nigelg said:

I've  bought a couple of the Parsons Essentials in black with medium italic and broad stub nibs a few years apart. Both have been first-class workhorses/EDCs. However fairly early on the black lacquer/plastic coating on the barrel of the first one bubbled and flaked off in several areas showing the brass underneath, whereas the second has been perfect even though both have had generally equal use. The caps (and nibs too I should say) on both are still perfect. I'm still rather fond of the "flaky" pen even though it has a rather battered appearance.

(Is there such a thing as a rat pen - like rat bikes and cars? Would that make an interesting thread?)

I just got a Danitrio Trio Classic with an 18k nib

The body is literally identical to the parson's essential, down to the cap band, clip, and caps/barrels interchange. Section is a TINY bit different. I wonder where these bodies are made.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

On 1/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, nigelg said:

If my white Sheaffer NoNonsense acquires any more ink stains it'll be a contender for the rat-look award!

I've been sorely tempted to rat up my pushbike over the years, I live in a city where a lot of people cycle and a lot of people have posh jobs that mean expensive bikes, so bike theft is a growth industry here. Grotty carrier bags to put over your expensive gel saddle are de rigueur or you'll come back to a bike with no saddle!