Italix Parson's Essential

Hutecker

Hey guys! Today I finally got the Parson's Essential I have been so patiently waiting for :) going to give you a quick over view with some pictures.

so, first thing I noticed, the packaging was very simple. Just a pen box covered in synthetic leather. Looks nice and fits the style of the pen. I got an engraved plate and it turned out great. Looked very professional.

After opening the pen box, first thing I noticed was a not-so-positive. The pen had a couple of skuff marks on the lacquer finish. It disappointed me a little bit but honestly wasn't a big deal.

after picking up the pen for the first time, the size of the pen is great. It's not a big pen by any means but it feels great in my hand. Feels like it is a quality product and looks very nice. The weight in my opinion is also perfect. not to light, not to heavy.

The nib. the first thing you notice is that the nib fits the pen perfectly, the nib size makes the pen looked balanced. It's a two toned nib which I really enjoy. After closer inspection (and you can see this in the pictures) I noticed one tine was a little longer than the other, almost making it slightly oblique. It worried me. So without further to do I inked it up with Pelikan torquoise (Just posted a review ;P consider it my writing sample). First thing you notice when writing, O.my.gosh.this.thing.is.SMOOTH. Seriously feels incredible to write with. The nib is not flexy but it isn't a nail either, its... soft. It puts down a nice wet line and gives good line variation.

The converter is from Schmit. It operates smoothly and I have no problems with it.

The pen can be written with posted but I find it a little to back heavy and prefer it unposted.

After a little more writing a realized a little tiny scratch on the nib section. Again not a big deal

Overall I think this is an amazing pen and I am very happy with the purchase. :)

http://i.imgur.com/tSrgdSB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pR7TNuz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UldD8wB.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sgphototn

• InkNsap

• Hutecker

• swanjun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Italix is selling pens with laquer finishes and oblique nibs? Wow. Did you buy it with an oblique nib on purpose? I've not seen any ground like this before. I'd like to know where you bought it from.

Is this from mrpen? They have a lot of nib options indeed. Many thanks for the review and very nice photos.

I love how they gave this pen a charmingly bizarre name, instead of some model number. It always makes me think of Bertie Wooster singing "How do you feel, when the Parson's done the deal? Ever so Goosey-goosey-goosey". 

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I'm curious as to which nib selection you made, also. I know obliques are an option. I'm eying the "Medium Cursive Stub," myself. Could this be it?

Yes, this is a medium cursive stub, sorry I forgot to write that. That is why i was a little disappointed with the slight oblique. Luckily its in the direction I write so it is not really a problem. You can actually see the scratch on the nib section as well in the second picture by the threads.

Edited by Hutecker

Y'know, I have a medium stub on my Esterbrook and it's cut a little bit oblique, too. It doesn't really make any difference when writing, that I've noticed.

Yeah, I agree. I can't notice a difference when writing. It just freaked me out a bit when I first saw it haha.

My fine italic also has a bit of an oblique. It's pretty subtle, but noticeable. I think it may actually be intentional, and may in fact help my impression of the nib's slickness. It is very nice, though I do get a tiny bit of hard-starting and skipping. Think that might be from the slit, since baby bottom isn't pronounced.

My only real problem has been the converter leaking at the section. I should try a different converter sometime to see if it alleviates the problem.

Robert.

I've seen others mention the converter leaking. Somewhere (perhaps the Mr. Pen site) there's something mentioned about Waterman cartridges. Maybe a Waterman converter would fit better than the Schmit one it comes with.

O really? I have had zero problems with the converter leaking. It actually fits nice and tight. hopefully it doesn't become an issue :P I really enjoy this pen, it is really a pleasure to write with.

• 7 years later...

The Parson's Essential is one of a select few that are essential for journaling – when it matters that your pen writes (1) on demand, reliably, and (2) pleasurably.

• 3 months later...

This is my favourite pen for journaling right now. It’s my nicest pen by far and if I wasn’t in a fountain pen buying ban I’d get one with a fine italic or a broad stub. 

😍

I have three Italix; Churchman's Prescriptor, Captain's Commission, and the Parson's Essential. All three are excellent values, well-made, heavy for the size, and the nibs are great. 

I currently have the amber Parson's Essential inked with KWZ IG Blue #5 and it's a pleasure to write with.

From what I've read Peter Ford, the owner of Italix, is retiring and looking to sell the business. Last I was aware of, he's selling his existing stock then that will be it.

That's sad as his pens have been mainstays for many years and quite a bargain for what you get.

Parsons Essential 2.jpg

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

1 hour ago, sgphototn said:

I have three Italix; Churchman's Prescriptor, Captain's Commission, and the Parson's Essential. All three are excellent values, well-made, heavy for the size, and the nibs are great. 

I currently have the amber Parson's Essential inked with KWZ IG Blue #5 and it's a pleasure to write with.

From what I've read Peter Ford, the owner of Italix, is retiring and looking to sell the business. Last I was aware of, he's selling his existing stock then that will be it.

That's sad as his pens have been mainstays for many years and quite a bargain for what you get.

Parsons Essential 2.jpg

The painting in the background looks familiar, could you tell me the name of the artist please?

3 minutes ago, Beechwood said:

The painting in the background looks familiar, could you tell me the name of the artist please?

It's from my 1909 copy of The Men Who Found America by Frederick Winthrop Hutchinson with illustrations by E.Roscoe Shrader and Herbert Moore. This particular illustration is by Herbert Moore of Montezuma and Cortez.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Omg!!! Don’t tell me that! 😭 I want more! 

1 hour ago, sgphototn said:

Parsons Essential 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, InkNsap said:

Omg!!! Don’t tell me that! 😭 I want more! 

Now's the time to get them! If Mr. Ford does sell to someone new I'm betting two things happen. One, prices will increase a minimum of 25% and Two, Mr. Ford will no longer be grinding the nibs and the choices of nibs will drop considerably or subject to a big upcharge. 

Where else can you get specialty nibs at no additional cost? No where that I'm familiar with. I have a broad italic nib that literally sings across the page.

6 minutes ago, sgphototn said:

It's from my 1909 copy of The Men Who Found America by Frederick Winthrop Hutchinson with illustrations by E.Roscoe Shrader and Herbert Moore. This particular illustration is by Herbert Moore of Montezuma and Cortez.

Thank you.

I thought it was by William Spencer Bagdatopoulos who was a commercial artist and did quite a lot of work in India and throughout Asia.

He also did work in support of American War Bonds.

I have his old pen!

1 minute ago, Beechwood said:

Thank you.

I thought it was by William Spencer Bagdatopoulos who was a commercial artist and did quite a lot of work in India and throughout Asia.

He also did work in support of American War Bonds.

I have his old pen!

In many ways this was the Golden Age of book illustrations. N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and other extremely talented artists make books come alive for boys reading with flashlights under the covers.

20 hours ago, InkNsap said:

This is my favourite pen for journaling right now. It’s my nicest pen by far and if I wasn’t in a fountain pen buying ban I’d get one with a fine italic or a broad stub. 

😍

You know you can buy his nibs without the pens-you just have to make sure you’re buying the nib unit for the correct pen.  I’ve linked a YouTube video in which SBRE Brown demonstrates all the nibs available from Mr. Pens Italix series, so you can see examples of them.