Where The Heck Can I Get A 146/149 At A Decent Price?

yangcliu

I started bidding on multiple auctions on ebay, but I keep getting outsniped by what I'm guessing are hardcore collectors and dealers.

How the heck do I get a used one without going through such a painful process? I saw one 146 that was posted for about less than an hour on Classifieds and it was sold before I could even send a PM.

Any suggestions for a noob that just want to own a 146/149?

Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yangcliu

• sherbie

• tanalasta

• jslallar

Sometimes (though less and less) a good deal will pop up here, stay the course on eBay from good reputation sellers, keep a max bid that in your mind is a good price. Sooner or later you will end up the winning bidder, and get an excellent pen at a great price.

Good luck

David

I bought a 146 here for $300 close as I can remember, and a 149 for $400.

Both were in impeccable condition.

Watch for posts, assess the reliability of the sellers and be ready to act.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Around $260-$285 for a nice, clean 146, and for a 149, $325 - $370, bear in mind this is my idea of a good deal on a pen in excellent condition. I recently won a 149 from th early 80's, split ebonite feed, resin threads, 14C nib that was basically flawless for $311, and about a year ago another for$335, I've also lost out on quite a few before getting the "great deal".

Stay the course and know the price you want to pay.

David

Thanks for the great advice guys!

And really? I didnt know those were the average prices for "great condition pens"

The ones I bid on had a lot of scratch marks and noticeable hairlines and still sold for 300+ (146) and $400+ (149) ... thats ridiculous

What the seller calls ink residue....looks like paint to me.

Keep looking

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

I am bargain hunter on ebay and I do buy 146/149 regularly. however 100% of the times the pens are not in a state where you would like to use the pen as is. at the minimum, a thorough cleanup after disassembly is required. So invest in some basic tools to disassemble Mbs, it is a one time investment. FPN member Fountainbel sells the tools.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

eBay is perhaps not the best place to look for your first MB. The condition does vary and occasionally (and not that uncommonly) a buyer may end up buying something with a problem that adds additional cost. Be also very careful of fakes on eBay.

I've found that reputable FPN sellers are more worthwhile - but in demand pens like the MB's sell quickly and you just have to jump on it when one becomes available. You can also try emailing Bryant at pentime.net to see if he has any on consignment or available.

Otherwise ... consider places that do have more aggressive pricing like the Fountainpenhospital if you wish to buy new.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

They do come up and I have been fortunate enough to buy/win quite a few over the past twelve months.

E-Bay as we all know does have its own issues but with research,caution & homework you can do ok.

If its condition or honest asessment of the pen here on the FPN is you best bet. Never had a problem and always been well pleased with my purchases.

That said it the member selling is very new with the minimum amount of posts that qualifies them to sell be wary if you are in the higher cost end of pens. Scammers are not stupid and can 'groom' potential victims for a while before they strike.

User names like : ConPen or AvinUOver may also set alarms ringing :rolleyes:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

The MB has an infinite number of buyers over sellers and the market has very few secrets.

If you don't luck out you won't find a superbargain.

Maybe instead you could find a quality pen for 1/3 the cost and enjoy it, it may garner high demand over the next decade, you never know.

I know BIN auctions are frowned upon somwhat by ebayers, but you can get some bargains by chosing this route.

I,ve even bought 1950s celluloid MBs 14x series pens, had the refurbished by proffessionals, and still been quids in - just look at the difference between the price of 146 user grade with faults and a mint 146 celluloid

You just have to be quick.

In normal auctions, i guess you,ve tried snipping - leaving your only bid until the last few seconds?

Best of luck

You,ll snag something sooner or later

There's a nice vintage 146 on the sales board now from a seller I've bought from: Sbroglia.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I am bargain hunter on ebay and I do buy 146/149 regularly. however 100% of the times the pens are not in a state where you would like to use the pen as is. at the minimum, a thorough cleanup after disassembly is required. So invest in some basic tools to disassemble Mbs, it is a one time investment. FPN member Fountainbel sells the tools.

Hari is the expert, but my experience has been different. I bought after careful research and from sellers with good ratings and waited and waited till I got a good deal and got me a 149 B in excellent condition usable out of the posatge box for $338 plus postage. 'abnerkeisha' sells some good MB regularly on the eBay from the east (Indonesia if I remember correctly). Most European and US bidders would not take part in the bids from Asia and the oprices are therefore a bit lower usually for his sales (my assessmnet of the situation). 'Daniel' from Italy sells MB frequently on the classifieds here - look the name up. There are many others here in addition. Mostly sales from classifieds here will be at competetive prices but more reliable in terms of quality and description.

In my experience with eBay, if you really want something, either place a bid which is really high and will win anyway (can be expensive), or sit on the computer near the closing time and bid real time. Earlier bids just raise the price, put a 'watch' on the item and go in at the very last minute literally, even seconds matter then. The ones I won I did that in the last few seconds, after having been frustrated several times by outbids in the last 2 - 3 seconds. Some people I hear have automated programmes for the bidding and the computer will automatically up the bid to the limit set. Be sure what you will pay for the item and do not be caught in the bidding frenzy and end up paying much more than you wanted to - there will be more sales soon.

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I started bidding on multiple auctions on ebay, but I keep getting outsniped by what I'm guessing are hardcore collectors and dealers.

How the heck do I get a used one without going through such a painful process? I saw one 146 that was posted for about less than an hour on Classifieds and it was sold before I could even send a PM.

Any suggestions for a noob that just want to own a 146/149?

Thanks.

Hello

PM sent to you.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid