Inexpensive, Fat-Sectioned Pen?

tvradio

I am likewise a bit late. But Fountain Pen Revolution may have your pen. The Darjeeling is a piston filler (just don't fill it all the way) with an 11mm section for $15. They also carry Guider pens, and the Zimbo (14mm) and Super Zimbo (16mm) are stupid huge, although they've also become stupid expensive at $105 and $125 for Schmidt c/c conversion models. You could contact ASA Pens in India, and ask them about a c/c conversion for their Galactic (a frosted acrylic demonstrator with section tapering from 14mm to 13mm). In fact, you might be well-served by surfing all of ASA's site. They have an offer for three Click Aristocrats, 3-in-1 pens sold 3/$16, which they assert have an 11-12mm section. The ASA Daily 3-in-1 is an ebonite pen that is listed as having a section averaging 13mm diameter. Other ASA 3-in-1 models meeting your enumerated needs include the Patriot, Popsicle, Rainbow, Swan, and possibly Nauka.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• Arkanabar

• Erik Dalton

• woleizihan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ASA Galactic is technically outside OP's range at 13.5 mm, but I like mine too -- here's a good pic showing off the fat grip-section.

but if we're doing fat pens, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Gama Supreme. While technically not my fattest pen, the Japan Jumbo is eyedropper only & OP mentioned liking converters.

Other good contenders:

• ASA Mist - 11/12 mm
  • Gama Kuyil - 12mm
  • ASA Maven - 13mm

I think 10.6mm is a bit optimistic for the Prera. I have both a Prera and a Kakuno, and the Kakuno is definitely girthier. Further, Goulet measures the Prera's section at 9.4mm, which I'd say is about right -- similar to my Pelikan M200 (which they indicate has a 9.3mm grip section).

Edited by Arkanabar

a close comparison of Gama Eyas, Asa Maya, and Asa Genius (top to bottom)

all three have rather generous sections and have decent prices

The Maya has slightly wider section but my favourite in terms of comfort is the Genius due to the shape of the section
(that can be very subjective though)

fpn_1572216653__p1180880-3_asa_maya_geni

Thanks. Unfortunately for me, I an am overwriting lefty and when I write my nib is almost upside down - the nib is aimed just past my right shoulder. So the grip and handling you describe just cannot work for me.

I like the Jinhao 159 quite a bit. I don't think it's too heavy (uncapped, as I use all my pens) and the thickness is gloriously comfortable. After decades using typical ballpoints, pencils and rollerballs it was incredibly eye-opening for me to be able to write with a thick-sectioned, super-smooth writing pen. It helped me learn how much thin pens contributed to hand fatigue and pain I'd experience for so long. That said, I do like light pens, maybe even prefer them. It's hard to say. I've gone through a couple of dozen inexpensive Chinese and Japanese pens since I started with this hoby last November, pens ranging from $1-$25. And despite liking the feel of the 159 I've had nothing but feed and stop-start problems with the several Jinhaos I've owned.

If there were such a thing as a plastic model 159 with a solid feed system and nib I'd be so happy.

The smoothest writing experience I've had with a pens I've owned was my Metropolitan (section WAY too thin for me, though). So I decided to try a couple of other Pilots. I got a Kakuno and I like it, but the nib isn't quite as good. Same for a Petit1 I bought, and a 78G a friend lent me.

I'm meh-to-okay with the section thickness of my Preppys/Plaisir, but the interior section unit does not come apart for cleaning. The nibs are decent, more than acceptable for the price. So I'm thinking next of getting a Platinum Cool/Balance (available some places under $30), which has a different (improved?) steel nib and a completely disassembleable section. But again, I'd prefer something thicker-sectioned.

Why do you want to disassemble the pen for cleaning? Not really necessary.

I'm a southpaw overwriter, too. The Jinhao 159s you get off Amazon seem to have better nib/feed combos than the fleabay models. I easily swapped in an italic nib that was lying around from somewhere (though like you, I wish they were also offered in plastic bodies).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My Jinhao 159’s have been kind to me and not given any problems. I too prefer a thicker section. Aside from the obvious and expensive Montblanc 149’s and King of Pen, you might take a look at the Laban Mento. They come in around $100 or less if you look around.

Regarding your Jinhao 159: many have commented on both it’s drying out tendency as well as it being a wet writer. Several threads about this have indicated the convertor (as well as the nib unit) should be flushed several times. One poster who strongly advocates Jinhao pens used a drop of dish detergent with a drop of ammonia in his flushing solution for Jinhaos, and recommends at least five flushes of this. I did this when I got my 159, and it has been a great writer from the start, with a very smooth nib, and no flow problems/ drying out issues so far. You could also try using a wetter ink in it.

I had some Jinhao 159's leak badly where the converter plugs in. I found a lot of variation on the tightness of fit of the converters (i.e., bad consistency and QA IMHO, on the converters), so I moved to cartridges. I think the consistency and QA of the section "nipple" is better because I've had no problems with leaking since I switched to cartridges, which I flush and fill with a syringe and dull needle from Goulet for ink changes. I also played around with Goulet #6 nibs (which cost more than the pens!) and really like all the combinations (stubs and broads) I've played around with. I love the heft and beefy size of the 159. It's the same shape as a Montblanc 149 grail pen and much heavier, and I like both attributes. They're easy to find at $6 or $7 on sale, and even at $13 full retail I think they're a steal.

• 1 year later...

Lamy Accent 96 KW

Section diameter (max/min) = 12.3/11.5 mm

Grey wood grip section. Wide choice of nibs. Converter included. Interchangeable grip sections. Weight = 25 g.

😊