Dumas Or 149 B Or Wider Nibs

ArchiMark

Hello Montblancer's,

A few MB nib related questions please....

Hope some of you can advise.....

Interested in a wider nib than the M nib on Dumas just purchased, new, sealed in the box.

Anyone interested a a trade for the M nib? Nib is new, never used.

Anyone know where I could obtain a B or wider nib?

Would another option be to put a 149 nib in the pen for my use? In this scenario, I'd keep the Dumas M nib in case I ever sold the pen.....

Would greatly appreciate any and all input. If you prefer to contact me directly, you can email me....

Thanks!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchiMark

• Inked

• zaddick

• chrisheathcote

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unsure about whether to go for the M or B nib when I bought my Defoe. I was told that I could try the M and if I wanted to I could swap it using the Nib Exchange service at MB. Is this not an option?

I was unsure about whether to go for the M or B nib when I bought my Defoe. I was told that I could try the M and if I wanted to I could swap it using the Nib Exchange service at MB. Is this not an option?

Although the rib sizes are the same, I don't think I'd want to replace the Dumas nib with a 149 one.

Have you contacted MB as they do nib replacements? I enquires a few years back and the had spare nibs for some of the older WE pens.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I have seen 1 Dumas nib on its own on eBay in the last 6-9 months so it is possible, but not common.

You can use a standard 149 nib as a replacement. Those are easier to come by, and you could even get an older 14C or 18C with some spring to it.

You could also use your pen and wait for another Dumas to come along with a B. I was able to find a good used one.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the idea.....

I just assumed that a WE released in 1996, about 19 years ago, would be too old for a nib exchange....

Although the rib sizes are the same, I don't think I'd want to replace the Dumas nib with a 149 one.

Have you contacted MB as they do nib replacements? I enquires a few years back and the had spare nibs for some of the older WE pens.

No, just got pen.....and as mentioned above, just assumed that MB wouldn't have nib replacements handy for a 19 year old pen.....but worth a try.....thanks.

I have seen 1 Dumas nib on its own on eBay in the last 6-9 months so it is possible, but not common.

You can use a standard 149 nib as a replacement. Those are easier to come by, and you could even get an older 14C or 18C with some spring to it.

You could also use your pen and wait for another Dumas to come along with a B. I was able to find a good used one.

Thanks for all the input......

Figured the 149 would fit....but thanks for confirming.....and you're right they're much easier to come by....

Seems like the Dumas with a B must have been quite uncommon back when they were made....

First of all, congratulations for your new Dumas! It is a great pen, one of my preferred WE of any time, and it has the most beautiful nib Montblanc ever produced.

For this reason, I would not suggest you swapping it for a 149 nib, even if feasible. You might instead consider having tge M nib modified into the width and shape that you prefer, so you would be sure yo give the pen the writing time she deserves.

When I bought my Dumas, I was fortunate to find a pen with the original M nib already modified into a very slightly oblique italic by the great Mike Masuyama. I am not concerned with the reselling value of my pens, as I do not want to sell them, so having a WE with a modified nib is not an issue for me. But, thanks to her beautiful nib, in a shape that really speaks to me, my Dumas never is out from rotation.

I had her filled with Toffe Brown, but I personally find that the Irish Green ink is a perfect match.

Use your pen in great health.

I have the Dumas, and about two or three years ago decided to get a BB and MB did the swap no problem. Stock was not an issue.

Yes, they did charge me, but as fpupulin said, a very beautiful nib; well worth it.

Inked

I re-tipped my Dumas M nib into 1.4mm BB at goldnibs.com.

The cost is just €60. I was thinking of buying other pen but it would cost me $6-800 for anything I like.

I just do not use "M" nib. So instead of keeping it in the case all the time, I've decided to re-tip for my liking.

I don't want to think about reselling. I think Dumas is a keeper.

Here is his test writing and the nib.

It's on it's way to me. I'm so thrilled.

17592251619_7c0f32217d_z.jpg

Edited by Sketch and Doodle

That looks fantastic. I'm waiting for a retipped 80s 146 BBB stub from them as we speak. I've bought a customised music nib from them before which is fantastic, so would definately recommend them!

First of all, congratulations for your new Dumas! It is a great pen, one of my preferred WE of any time, and it has the most beautiful nib Montblanc ever produced.

For this reason, I would not suggest you swapping it for a 149 nib, even if feasible. You might instead consider having tge M nib modified into the width and shape that you prefer, so you would be sure yo give the pen the writing time she deserves.

When I bought my Dumas, I was fortunate to find a pen with the original M nib already modified into a very slightly oblique italic by the great Mike Masuyama. I am not concerned with the reselling value of my pens, as I do not want to sell them, so having a WE with a modified nib is not an issue for me. But, thanks to her beautiful nib, in a shape that really speaks to me, my Dumas never is out from rotation.

I had her filled with Toffe Brown, but I personally find that the Irish Green ink is a perfect match.

Use your pen in great health.

Thank you so much for the good wishes and all your input.....

Agree the Dumas is a beautiful pen and nib.....I mistakenly parted with one a few years ago...not a smart move.... :rolleyes:

If I did put a 149 nib in it, it would just be for me to use, with idea that if I ever sold pen, I would put the Dumas nib back in it. But agree would be nicer to have a Dumas design nib in it....

Been interested in trying the Toffee Brown ink......have to get some....haven't used green ink.....I'm more of a blue, blue-black, black, brown ink kind of guy I guess..... :)

Thanks again....

I have the Dumas, and about two or three years ago decided to get a BB and MB did the swap no problem. Stock was not an issue.

Yes, they did charge me, but as fpupulin said, a very beautiful nib; well worth it.

Inked

That's good to know....about how much did they charge for the swap?......

Thanks!

I re-tipped my Dumas M nib into 1.4mm BB at goldnibs.com.

The cost is just €60. I was thinking of buying other pen but it would cost me $6-800 for anything I like.

I just do not use "M" nib. So instead of keeping it in the case all the time, I've decided to re-tip for my liking.

I don't want to think about reselling. I think Dumas is a keeper.

Here is his test writing and the nib.

It's on it's way to me. I'm so thrilled.

17592251619_7c0f32217d_z.jpg

Looks great!!!

Thanks for the suggestion and sharing your pen......

:thumbup:

That looks fantastic. I'm waiting for a retipped 80s 146 BBB stub from them as we speak. I've bought a customised music nib from them before which is fantastic, so would definately recommend them!

Sounds very nice too.....they sound like a great company to deal with.....but unfortunately, there a long ways away from where I am located.....thanks.....and enjoy your 'new pen'.....

Greg Minuskin will retip and does quality work. Some people like him, others do not, but I have enjoyed his retips. He is in CA.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Greg Minuskin will retip and does quality work. Some people like him, others do not, but I have enjoyed his retips. He is in CA.

Thanks for the suggestion....had one nib fixed by him a few years back....but a pen repairperson sent my pen to him after doing other repairs. So, I didn't have direct contact with him. But agree that his work was very good.

UPDATE:

A. Nib Swap

Decided to call the MB store in my locale today to get info on nib swap.....

Salesperson was nice, but said WE pens need to go over to Germany for assessment, estimate, and potential nib swap.

I said why would I ship pen all the way over to Germany just to find out how much it will cost and to learn whether MB even has the B nib to swap, and then depending upon the info, I might say 'No Thanks' and have them ship pen all the way back to me. Also, was told this would take 2 - 3 months....

I nicely then said, I assume that MB has done other WE nib swaps before as well as should know nib inventory. So, asked if she could ask MB if they even have any Dumas B nibs left and what it should cost.

Finally, she said, she could ask their US service center if they can get this info from MB Germany as the store cannot directly contact MB Germany.....

So, will see what happens......

B. Incorrect Signature Dumas & MB - Issues?

Meanwhile, a potential issue occurred to me about this pen and sending it to Germany.....need input on this please.....

This is one of the 'incorrect signature' pens....didn't MB try to recall these pens to get them out of circulation?

If I send pen to MB, will they want to keep it and swap me for a 'correct signature' pen or ?..........

Would like to know what I'm potentially getting into if I decide to do swap through MB........

Thanks!

Edited by ArchiMark

That's good to know....about how much did they charge for the swap?......

It was about $250 in 2012.

Inked

It was about $250 in 2012.

Inked

Thanks for the info......

I just spoke with MB store again....they said that MB in Germany can swap nib and rough estimate is about $300. Don't know if that includes return shipping, I forgot to ask.....

But if I add shipping pen to US MB Service Center in Texas, total is going to be pushing $350 in the end....will have to think hard whether it's worth the time and expense....certainly would be cheaper if I could either swap with someone here, or find nib for sale somewhere and swap it myself, or re-tip as some have suggested.....

Meanwhile, still would be interested to hear thoughts regarding issue I mentioned in prior post above about fact that pen is one of the incorrect signature versions....

Do you think that if MB Germany notices this while they have pen, they'll balk at sending it back to me and send me the other version or ?........just would like to avoid surprises if possible.......

Thanks!