The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

M1000 Nibs. Smoothness And Spring.

flexspringyness m1000 pelikan broad fine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:43

Hi all! I was fortunate enough yesterday to be able to go to the penfriend store up in London. I've had my eye on either a M800 or M1000 for some time now, but needed to hold one in hand in order to see their build quality etc. Seeing some nice shiny photos on here doesn't quite do the job on deciding  when there's £300/£400 at stake!

Anyway, I tried out a bold nib on a m1000 and was surprised by its softness and wonderful smoothness. Unfortunately they didn't have an fine on a m1000 so couldn't compare. 

Does anyone have both nibs? if so what are your opinions on which line size is more soft.

P.S. I'm aware that Pelikan don't intend on making a flex nibs per se, but their softness is an interesting feature. 

Edited by Cyclopentadiene, 20 June 2013 - 12:44.

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:21

I have had both.  Softness was the same on F and B.  The only difference is width.

Smoothness will depend not on width alone but on quality of the smoothing work performed by either factory, meister, or owner.  It goes without saying that a wide B has more surface area and will tend to be more glassy smooth than an XF or F.  Slippery smooth.

#3 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:40

Ask not for too much spring on an 18K nib.

#4 irrigger

irrigger

A Canuck Abroad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:05

I have tried both and settled on the fine for mine.  The bold was just too thick for my daily use.  But the fine is extremly smooth and "soft".  It creates enough line variation  if you tend to write with a heavier hand.

#5 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:13

I have tried both and settled on the fine for mine.  The bold was just too thick for my daily use.  But the fine is extremly smooth and "soft".  It creates enough line variation  if you tend to write with a heavier hand.

Excellent, thanks for the heads up :)  Fine nibs tend to have a greater use in my repertoire so I'll stick with what I know! 

Smoothness will depend not on width alone but on quality of the smoothing work performed by either factory, meister, or owner.  It goes without saying that a wide B has more surface area and will tend to be more glassy smooth than an XF or F.  Slippery smooth.

I'll keep those reminders in mind! Thanks for the help  :)

#6 MyPenNeedsInk

MyPenNeedsInk

Still Scrubbing His Fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2013 - 18:21

My M1000 is a fine and I enjoy only the slight pressure need to make a BOLD weight line for emphasis thanks to the nib spring/flex

Bob

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2013 - 15:53

I own two m1000s, they are indeed formidable pens for the money

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flexspringyness, m1000, pelikan, broad, fine

Sponsored Content

|