Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

writes nice, and a beautiful torpedo shaped pen. :-) Made around 1950.

I only saw these with #2 (4260) or #4 (4460) nibs - what number is on your barrel (close to the filling knob)?

Good success with the nib, doesn't look that bad. You're right: better 20 times to little force than once too much...

Best wishes

Jens

I suspect that the nib (a 3) is a subsequent fitment. Those Mabie Todd "keyhole" nibs were not made after the War as far as I know ( they were often found on the late '30s Snakeskin and Lizardskin models and also some Visofil VTs) and also I do not think there were any No 3 Leverless "torpedoes" produced. A No 3 nib will usually work on a No 2 feed and indeed fit a No 2 section.

I think you have been very fortunate to find such a lovely nib.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I suspect that the nib (a 3) is a subsequent fitment. Those Mabie Todd "keyhole" nibs were not made after the War as far as I know ( they were often found on the late '30s Snakeskin and Lizardskin models and also some Visofil VTs) and also I do not think there were any No 3 Leverless "torpedoes" produced. A No 3 nib will usually work on a No 2 feed and indeed fit a No 2 section.

I think you have been very fortunate to find such a lovely nib.

Cob

Hi,

so it seems to be a 4260.

I have a 3240 with a #3 nib (firm EF or needlepoint posting? A very dry writer).

Someone has upgraded even the cap to three bands...

Btw, how fine is a Swan needlepoint posting nib? Mine is about 0.3 mm.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

• 2 weeks later...
Eboya uses Bock nibs, and this is one of the most delightful springy examples I have. John's CI grind is marvelous, as usual.
David

attachicon.gif Eboya nib.jpg

Eboya uses Bock nibs, and this is one of the most delightful springy examples I have. John's CI grind is marvelous, as usual.

David

Which size is it? And, to what other pens is your Eboya similar in size?

Which size is it? And, to what other pens is your Eboya similar in size?

The nib appears to be a #6. The pen is about 1/4 inch longer than a Pelikan M800 when capped.

David

The nib appears to be a #6. The pen is about 1/4 inch longer than a Pelikan M800 when capped.

David

I just noticed the size was stated in your original description, medium. Nibs.com has that pen in medium and large. Their site lists the section as .4 inch, the same as listed for the Nakaya desk pen, and the M800. However, the desk pen is larger than the M800 and not as comfortable. How does this pen compare in its section size to the M800. I purchased a knock off Ranga Bamboo, with Jowo stub nib. It writes very well, but is too broad in its girth, despite the description, which again indicated a similar size to the M800. By the way, I actually prefer the M600, so these erroneous measurements break in the wrong direction.

Here's a Mabie Todd Swan No 4 Safety Screw Cap pen. I had to have the splendid New York nib re-tipped. "Broad Point " it says and indeed it is - a 2mm stub.

I love it!

fpn_1551973404__2.jpg

fpn_1551973472__1.jpg

ob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Here's a Mabie Todd Swan No 4 Safety Screw Cap pen. I had to have the splendid New York nib re-tipped. "Broad Point " it says and indeed it is - a 2mm stub.

I love it!

<snip>

ob

A joyful thing to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us!

A joyful thing to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us!

You are more than welcome.

C.

I just noticed the size was stated in your original description, medium. Nibs.com has that pen in medium and large. Their site lists the section as .4 inch, the same as listed for the Nakaya desk pen, and the M800. However, the desk pen is larger than the M800 and not as comfortable. How does this pen compare in its section size to the M800. I purchased a knock off Ranga Bamboo, with Jowo stub nib. It writes very well, but is too broad in its girth, despite the description, which again indicated a similar size to the M800. By the way, I actually prefer the M600, so these erroneous measurements break in the wrong direction.

The Eboya section is about the same diameter but considerably longer than that of the M800. It is thinner than the section of the Ranga Bamboo. (I have one of those also.)

David

The Eboya section is about the same diameter but considerably longer than that of the M800. It is thinner than the section of the Ranga Bamboo. (I have one of those also.)

David

Thank you. That is what I hoped you would say.

• 4 weeks later...

Fell down the rabbit hole - stubbed a Platinum 0.2 and now I'm hooked.

You'll be on the boards, scouring the aftermarket for vintage factory stubs in no time. Welcome and condolences!

Misfit, doesn't your phone have a camera? (and wow what a statement), you can upload to FPN directly from your phone.

Yes, it (iPhone 7) has does a camera. It was frustrating me by making it hard to copy the entire link for uploading. I got it to work recently, only to discover I posted about an ink that did not fit the topic.

Posted Image

I love it!

Cob that is indeed a lovely nib, no wonder you love it!

Hello Houston and Amberlea, its great to see you on this thread!

And hello all, I've been watching this wonderful thread develop and am so glad to see lovers of stub nibs "ooooh" and "aaaah" over the great things others show. In hopes of keeping you interested, I have a new pen to show you:

Francis Goossens [fountainbel] Replica Montblanc 139, Tibaldi Celluloid, 14C BBB stub nib

You may know Francis as the Belgian master craftsman who originated and patented the CONID Bulkfiller pens. This new pen derives from a thread begun here by Francis in January 2019, describing his solution to the common problem of cracked cap lips on Montblanc 139s. I can't say how common this cap lip problem is, but in my world any Montblanc 139 is uncommon, whether with or without a damaged cap. I emailed Francis, whom I've known for many years, and we engaged in a back and forth that led to me acquiring a brand new, modern MB 149 OBBB nib unit from a friend in Portugal and having that shipped to Francis in Belgium, followed by feverish work on Francis' part to fabricate entirely from hand the pen you see below. The materials consist of an original (though entirely rebuilt) MB 139 telescoping piston, lined celluloid for the long ink window, sterling silver clip, sterling silver and 18k gold rings, and Tibaldi's Impero celluloid (I have no idea how Francis found some!) for the main body and cap. The fabricated nib unit screws into the the barrel just below the cap threads. He installed a keeper in the clip made from the Impero celluloid and designed and made from titanium a new logo to fit the cap top, a stylized FG. It is really quite something - the workmanship is other-worldly. Oh, best of all, Francis took the OBBB nib and ground it to a smooth, wet-writing, 1.7mm stub. I've had the pen in my pocket for a month and can honestly say it is among my top five favorite pens, not one to rotate in and and out but to always have inked and on hand. (ink used today is Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris)

fpn_1554846527__fg_139_7.jpg

fpn_1554846578__fg_139_16.jpg

fpn_1554846614__fg_139_17.jpg

fpn_1554846650__fg_139_4.jpg

fpn_1554846678__fg_139_15.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

fpn_1554846578__fg_139_16.jpg

That's a dead-set stunner, dc. I'd envy it, but it would be a waste of energy I could put into admiring it. Congratulations.

Amazing! What a beautiful pen and nib!

Congratulations to you and Francis! Stunning work.

Thanks for sharing.