The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dating Montblanc 149s

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#561 shah

shah

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 13:20

Is my 149 a frankenpen?

I purchased my 149 three to four years back from a reputed seller/user here on FPN, so the authenticity is not in question. However, I just noticed that I have a 14K nib with the plastic horizontal comb feed instead of the era appropriate ebonite. My piston threads are also brass.

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

Thoughts? I am just curious since I stumbled on this thread -- it writes fine, although lacks character, though I am spoiled by my 1912 though.

Sponsored Content

#562 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:55

Since that's not the first generation plastic feed I think you have a pen that was serviced post about 1996 with a mid-to-late 1980s nib.

Edited by zaddick, 09 May 2019 - 18:00.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#563 shah

shah

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 17:30

Since that's not the first generation plastic feed I thin you have a pen that was serviced post about 1996 with a mod to late 1980s nib.

Thanks Zaddick, you are a guru!

#564 rebcabin

rebcabin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 23:36

Well, this is going to be risky............. but here goes anyway...................

When trying to get my mind around the various permutations, I constructed the chart below. The information is based on info from Barry Gabay's article and the posts of niksch and others, but of course, the errors are all mine. And I'm certain there are errors and inaccuracies. So let me know what they are and I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

MB149Dating.jpg

Well, this is going to be risky............. but here goes anyway...................

When trying to get my mind around the various permutations, I constructed the chart below. The information is based on info from Barry Gabay's article and the posts of niksch and others, but of course, the errors are all mine. And I'm certain there are errors and inaccuracies. So let me know what they are and I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

MB149Dating.jpg

Consistent with my 149, which my wife bought me in 1974 and I have used every day since then. Absolutely the very best of all my many fountain pens by a very long margin.

Sponsored Content

|