The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dating Montblanc 149s

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#561 shah

shah

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 13:20

Is my 149 a frankenpen?

I purchased my 149 three to four years back from a reputed seller/user here on FPN, so the authenticity is not in question. However, I just noticed that I have a 14K nib with the plastic horizontal comb feed instead of the era appropriate ebonite. My piston threads are also brass.

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

Thoughts? I am just curious since I stumbled on this thread -- it writes fine, although lacks character, though I am spoiled by my 1912 though.

Sponsored Content

#562 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:55

Since that's not the first generation plastic feed I think you have a pen that was serviced post about 1996 with a mid-to-late 1980s nib.

Edited by zaddick, 09 May 2019 - 18:00.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#563 shah

shah

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 17:30

Since that's not the first generation plastic feed I thin you have a pen that was serviced post about 1996 with a mod to late 1980s nib.

Thanks Zaddick, you are a guru!

#564 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 23:36

Well, this is going to be risky............. but here goes anyway...................

When trying to get my mind around the various permutations, I constructed the chart below. The information is based on info from Barry Gabay's article and the posts of niksch and others, but of course, the errors are all mine. And I'm certain there are errors and inaccuracies. So let me know what they are and I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

MB149Dating.jpg

Well, this is going to be risky............. but here goes anyway...................

When trying to get my mind around the various permutations, I constructed the chart below. The information is based on info from Barry Gabay's article and the posts of niksch and others, but of course, the errors are all mine. And I'm certain there are errors and inaccuracies. So let me know what they are and I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

MB149Dating.jpg

Consistent with my 149, which my wife bought me in 1974 and I have used every day since then. Absolutely the very best of all my many fountain pens by a very long margin.

#565 RayCornett

RayCornett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 23:01

Does anyone have any information on experimental 149 feeds and if any have been released in general production pens released for sale? Even on the updated parts charts I see nothing like the one I have.

#566 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:31

Can you post a photo Ray?

#567 RayCornett

RayCornett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:24

Can you post a photo Ray?

I have previously when asking other questions and was told it was just a regular early 90s plastic feed. Everything is normal except for that hole in the feed with a horizontal slit inside of it. I thought it was just part of the molding but When I disassembled the pen for cleaning, reassembled the pen, and filled it I mde sure that hole was clean and dry after filling and I watched it fill again with a small bit of ink. The nib itself seems on the flexy side so the hole made me think it had something to do with helping improve flow to keep up with it being flexy.

Attached Images

• InkedMBNib_LI.jpg

#568 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:03

I have never been able to date a 149... never been able to even get one to play with me for a half hour...
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

#569 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 00:26

> Consistent with my 149, which my wife bought me in 1974 and I have used every day since then. Absolutely the very best of all my many fountain pens by a very long margin.

Really? I like the nib but it lacks flexibility which my Pelikan M1000 pens abundantly have. If the M1000 would only be thinner. I tested Pelikans at an exhibition last year and found that the M1000 EF was just a tiny, tiny, tiny bit thinner than the F which I have. For me this thickness is really the limit. Back to the 149, this nib is also comparable to the Sailor KoP - all IMO.

What's the matter with your Namiki #50 nib? Where do you put it?

But, I have one problem with (one of) my MB149 nib(s) - it doesn't like Midori paper - but goes well with cheap paper. I have to test this with the second one. Example for the pen/ink/paper hell.

#570 Midstream

Midstream

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 19:41

I can't view the chart.  Suggestions?

#571 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:24

I can't view the chart.  Suggestions?

I can't either. Everything is out of focus and covered with a giant PhotoBucket logo.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#572 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 4,635 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:34

I can't either. Everything is out of focus and covered with a giant PhotoBucket logo.

fpn_1570019643__chart.jpg

#573 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• 4,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:39

Thanks, Tom!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#574 entertainment

entertainment

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 22:50

Unfortunately, that is not the most recent chart!

#575 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 23:28

Use the pdf found in this post:

http://www.fountainp...able/?p=3899156

#576 entertainment

entertainment

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 22:08

I found this more recent chart after some searching in my files. The resolution is not great.

montblanc dating 3.jpg

#577 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 13:55

THAT's the one I've been looking for... does anyone have a copy larger than this one (only 59kb)?  This one isn't too readable when you try to scale it up.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#578 entertainment

entertainment

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 14:14

I hope someone has a better version, but that was the one that I downloaded from this thread and did not modify.

I think someone even asked the original poster for a higher resolution version, but it never appeared.

Hope I am wrong!

#579 blakecintenn

blakecintenn

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 18:15

Quick question. Someone has offered to sell a Montblanc they are calling a 149. It has silver trim and doesn’t say 149 or any other number on the cap. They say it is a 149 bc it is 5.7 inches long. Is the 149 the only 5.7 inch long Montblanc? And does it matter that it doesn’t say 149 on the cap and is in silver trim?

#580 idazle

idazle

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 20:18

I`ve recovered this version of the chart from mi personal files (dated September 2013). I believe it's a higher resolution version.

fpn_1574972073__mb-149-guia.jpg

Edited by idazle, 28 November 2019 - 20:20.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Sponsored Content

|