Diamine Registrars Ink - High Flow

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE REGISTRARS INK - IRON GALL

PAPER : Piccolo Press 160gsm, Oyster, Laid
PEN : Swan Ebonite with Degussa Flex Nib by Eckiethump

Having reviewed Diamine Registrars Ink when I was using it in my modern Onoto Magna 261 pen last year, I wanted to show you what the ink can look like from a pen of the period when iron gall inks were in very common use. There is one difference that is immediately apparent between my Onoto and this older pen... the rate of flow.

Generally speaking, working grade pens of the period (1920-30s) had relatively simple feeds made of Ebonite or similar materials with a straight-forward ink channel to the nib. They delivered their ink quickly and were resilient to clogging.

As you are probably aware, Iron Gall inks tend to be thought of as "high maintenance" and "dry" because they are very likely to dump precipitate inside the pen as they age. This precipitate accumulates and can be tricky to remove thoroughly, especially from a modern pen with a modern feed. A modern feed has channels and fins often manufactured to microscopic tolerances. Dump a load of particles in these feeds and you are looking at dry starting, skipping and poor flow - even after a wash. Older pens with simple feeds can be cleaned much more easily. There are far fewer nooks and crannies for the iron precipitate to hide and build up.

When I submitted my Registrars Ink review last year, I noticed that the flow was reasonable and the ink felt somewhat dry under the nib. Hardly surprising given that it was being delivered by a modern feed designed with modern inks in mind. The ink came out as a low saturation mid-blue and oxidised to a grey-black.

Now let's have a look at how it performs from a high flow Ebonite feed and a semi-flex nib...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowTitle.jpg

This is the ink, paper and pen combination I shall be using for this demonstration.

Having finished my first 30ml glass bottle a few months ago, I ordered a plastic 100ml tank from Diamine to act as a stock bottle and decanted a portion into the cleaned glass bottle as a working supply. I tend to also use a 5ml sample bottle as a filling supply for the current pen. When I get down to the last portion I discard it, wash the sample bottle and refill from the glass bottle which is allowed to settle undisturbed.

The paper is my preferred letter writing paper from Piccolo Press in Scotland. It weighs in at 160gsm which is a good solid writing paper thickness. It has a hard surface on which ink will deliver crisp lines and is a Laid finish in Oyster colour. While it can feel a little rough under an un-tipped nib, if the ink flows well that will offset the sensation.

The pen was assembled for me by Eckiethump from a Swan Ebonite body, Swan Ebonite feed and a Degussa flex nib given to me by Bo Bo Olsen. It holds around 1ml and is a sac-filler. While the feed and nib could easily be removed for cleaning, in the past year I have had no need to do so. A simple warm water wash and rinse has been more than enough to deal with almost a year's use exclusively with Iron Gall.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowNib.jpg

You will have to ask Bo Bo Olsen about the specifics of the nib he sent me but it is a steel long-tined flex nib with no tipping material. Under light pressure it delivers a line that I would guess is somewhere between an XF or F. Regular writing pressure averages around a M with downstrokes spreading to a B or BB. I do not apply excessive pressure to get more flex - I am more than happy with the variation in line-width that I am able to get.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowFeed.jpg

The Ebonite feed does not have the modern advances to deal with changes of pressure or temperature. It is simply designed to reliably deliver a good supply of ink to a flex nib which as you will know can demand a lot from a feed. Despite allowing the pen to lie for a couple of days I never have hard starts or skips and even under rapid writing I do not get rail-roading. It delivers a lot of ink to the paper on demand. It just works.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowStrokeWet.jpg

Using this pen on unbleached paper, the Diamine Registrars flows a rich mid-navy, darkens to deep navy in seconds and goes black by the time the ink is dry.

It is hard to capture the iron gall colour change because it happens so quickly. As you can see, this ink is clearly still very wet and it is practically black. Remember this is unbleached paper too. On copy paper with optical brighteners it blackens much more quickly - in seconds usually.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowStrokeDry.jpg

By the time the ink is dry, the downstrokes are already completely black. Despite the heavy delivery of ink, the Registrars does not smudge under a dry finger. If you allow a little moisture to make contact, the blue which is still present does move of course but this is expected behaviour from any modern iron gall.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/RegistrarsHighFlow/RegistrarsHighFlowMacro.jpg

This shot was taken less than a minute from writing. Note how the heavier lines are totally black and only the lighter strokes show any of the blue colour. I re-examined this piece of paper after an hour and the blue cast was gone, replaced by a deep grey.

Even under this heavy delivery, the Diamine Registrars ink delivers sharp, crisp lines. It does not feather or bleed through anything. I use this pen on UK Prescriptions which are wafer-thin and even make biro show through. I use it on Government forms because it doesn't bleed through. I use it on envelopes because it is waterproof.

Now I don't have any other Iron Galls to compare this against at the moment but I would predict this... put ESSRI, Scabiosa, Salix, MB Midnight or Urkundentinte in a high-flow Ebonite feed and you will see a whole new depth of colour that you just don't get from a modern pen. You will also get the added side-benefit that these feeds are incredibly easy to clean.

And to the folks who keep asking "Will Iron Gall inks corrode your pen?"... I have been keeping Registrars in this pen for almost a year now and it is still in perfect (for its age) condition. No visible corrosion, no accelerated wear. It just works. If I ever wear it out, I will simply obtain a new steel nib and pay someone to set it up for me again.

Edited by DanielCoffey

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• ravantra

• The Good Captain

• Inkysloth

I've just had some ESS Registrar's ink delivered, if you'd like a sample, let me know!

Instagram @inkysloth

I think that is a great idea. I expect the two will be very similar indeed under these high flow conditions.

How about I PM you for your address, send you some Registrars and a spare sample vial with my postage details?

Another cracking review, Daniel. I noticed a great result with Lamy Blue-Black in my Swan 3340 as well. That's a real wet one as the sac is on the large and snug side so it flows!

I might just try the ESSRI in that one day - at present it's enjoying life in a Pelikan 600 with no side effects.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Youre absolutely right. I used to give exams with a vintage taperite and lamy blue black old formulation.. Just fantastic

Gorgeous pen, paper, photography, etc! Thanks a lot for this. Count me in as another fan of Diamine and ESS Registrar's Inks.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Excellent and thanks. Only one drawback: I now need a new pen!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Ah, the eternal dilemma...

Time to visit a local pen meet and ask for a German flex nib then? I am sure Bo Bo Olson would be more than happy to point you in the direction of a new purchase over a beer or two.

Edited by DanielCoffey

What an excellent review! Details, smashing photography, all top-shelf. And it centres around a very interesting point, ie. iron gall inks in vintage pens vs. modern ones.

I've only recently fallen into the rabbit hole that is IG inks. I'll definitely be giving this one a try after the Akkerman Nº 10 I'm playing with now.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Well, you have just tempted me to give ESSRI another go. I have a sample, and found I too dry for my taste in a P45. Now my vintage CS with ebonite feed may be another matter. Hmm, must write the Diamine Midnight out of it, flush it and try this combination. Adds a whole new dimension to matching the pen to the ink.

Like any other ink, I suspect. Noodlers pens have modern feeds but they can be set for fairly high flow and can be stripped for cleaning.

Thanks for the review Daniel - great work as always.

I had posted on the Pelikan forum looking for tips on reducing the flow from a 1930s Pelikan 100n, but reading your review maybe very high flow is to be expected from pens of that era? I've tried everything except iron galls in the Pelikan, but I may try them now. The Pelikan seems to flow so much that it submerges any shading, which seems a shame.

Thanks once again :thumbup:

✒️ :happyberet:

I need to try this ink. How does it compare to R&K Salix in terms of dryness?

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Probably a little dryer than Salix from what I remember of reviews.

Remember though - this review is looking at a standard iron gall in a 30's-era pen designed for it. My other review of the same ink in a modern Onoto gave completely different results on paper.

Probably a little dryer than Salix from what I remember of reviews.

Remember though - this review is looking at a standard iron gall in a 30's-era pen designed for it. My other review of the same ink in a modern Onoto gave completely different results on paper.

Thanks DanielCoffey!

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

great color. too bad it is a dry ink.

So are all iron gall inks, but they have a purpose. This review should show how well this type of ink behaves in a pen that is well suited to iron gall.