#31 miwishi63

miwishi63

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 21:21

What I didn't know is how addicting Chinese made pens could become. As inexpensive as they are it is fun to 'take a gamble' on which one will turn out to be a gem in disguise.

This resonates with me. I enjoy the 'take a gamble' aspect and have been relatively pleased so far with my acquisitions. It is addicting, but I can think of worse addictions!

#32 miwishi63

miwishi63

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 21:25

A Baoer 8 Horses loaded with BSB. Love it!

I've been carrying around an 8 Horses with Zhivago. I tend to have to sign stuff throughout the day, and I like the bulletproofness along with the nice zig my Baoer give my signature.

The 'nice zig' I get with the medium nib on mine has been enticing me away from my preference for fine nibs. It is a great pen for signatures especially given the "wow" I usually get from people who aren't familiar with "fancy" pens.

#33 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 21:40

Returning to fountain pens after a long 15 year hiatus. This is also my very first post here, although I have been lurking for months.
... snip...

Welcome!
Sounds like you have some great adventures there. You might try flushing each pen as it arrives (with mild dishwashing detergent solution or mild ammonia solution) and then rinsing it a few times. That will often solve problems with slow starting or dry writing. Residues do tend to get stuck in the feeds during manufacturing.
ron

#34 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 22:02

The Duke I am test-driving has the number 2008 on it.

It's a pretty impressive-looking flat-top, with a channeled silvertone barrel and a red cap with clouds all over. Kind of a heavyweight, too, though usually I prefer lightweights.

I have a few other Chinese pens that await tweaking and possibly stubbing. None of those are Hero or other 'name' brands, but they, too, look impressive, and at their price point (not one of them more than $8) I don't feel too bad about trying to improve the flow or stub-sperimentation.

can u show us a pic of that Duke?

As soon as it stops being too dark.

#35 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:19

The Duke I am test-driving has the number 2008 on it.

It's a pretty impressive-looking flat-top, with a channeled silvertone barrel and a red cap with clouds all over. Kind of a heavyweight, too, though usually I prefer lightweights.

I have a few other Chinese pens that await tweaking and possibly stubbing. None of those are Hero or other 'name' brands, but they, too, look impressive, and at their price point (not one of them more than $8) I don't feel too bad about trying to improve the flow or stub-sperimentation.

can u show us a pic of that Duke?

As soon as it stops being too dark.

ah, found it on the net. thanx anyways!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#36 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 9,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 21:25

I am using a Hero 5020 (Parker Sonnet copy) today with BSB in it. Unfortunately whatever pen I use it in can't stop the ink misbehaving. At least, as it has only ever had BSB in it, I need not worry about the ink objecting to other residue.

Must get a Baoer 388 to see if that has any Sonnet compatible/interchangable parts. This one hasn't even though it looks similar.

Regards,

Richard.

#37 writebyhand

writebyhand

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:35

Hero 100 - a Chinese pen through and through, inspired by the Parker 51 but not a copy of it, trustworthy, practical, and a good writer.

#38 Wh3r3sWald0

Wh3r3sWald0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 14:11

What I didn't know is how addicting Chinese made pens could become. As inexpensive as they are it is fun to 'take a gamble' on which one will turn out to be a gem in disguise.

This resonates with me. I enjoy the 'take a gamble' aspect and have been relatively pleased so far with my acquisitions. It is addicting, but I can think of worse addictions!

If a pen doesn't work out, I have no issues fiddling with it or even breaking one since most of them have been under $8 shipped.

Returning to fountain pens after a long 15 year hiatus. This is also my very first post here, although I have been lurking for months.
... snip...

Welcome!
Sounds like you have some great adventures there. You might try flushing each pen as it arrives (with mild dishwashing detergent solution or mild ammonia solution) and then rinsing it a few times. That will often solve problems with slow starting or dry writing. Residues do tend to get stuck in the feeds during manufacturing.
ron

I already have two other vices, I tend to collect bicycles, and have a custom carbon tandem, Plus my collection of old Pentax lenses. I really didn't need anything else to collect.

Still waiting for three more Chinese pens in the mail.
Bud

#39 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:00

can't believe i havn't used a chinese pen in over three days... will see tomorrow (rather today, it's after midnight).
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#40 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:14

Just rotated a Jinhao X450 into operation. It's physically beautiful, a tapered design reminiscent of the Sheaffer Balance with a gray and white marbled barrel, black end caps, and gold-plated trim. Writes a very smooth medium line, almost exactly medium wetness, with a tiny bit of feedback on bagasse paper. It's heavier, and with a slightly top-weighted balance when I'm writing, so it's an adjustment after vintage celluloid pens, but it quickly becomes comfortable. Pretty much a faultless pen.
ron

#41 filedog

filedog

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:18

Kaigelu 316. Overall very nice, slightly top heavy, even unposted.
Mine is wet,with a broader than medium line. I cleaned it before
filing, but it is still a hard starter, I think with a bit more
attention it will work well.
"Yeah, but it's GOOD plastic" - Tony Fitzsimmons

#42 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 9,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:14

Filedog, I use my 2 Kaigelu 316's interchangably with my Duofold Centennial Pearl & Black. The balance isn't quite the same, in fact not quite right, but they write very well, and they are just as gorgeous to look at.

Today, though, I'm having another bash with my excessively heavy Jinhao 1200. It writes nice & wet, but the c/c empties just so fast.

Regards,

Richard.

#43 SylvainP

SylvainP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:35

Received my Bulow x750 from xfountainpen and compared it to my jinhao x750 and I prefer the bulow. The feed is different and well made. A simple cleaning was the only thing needed to have an very nice writer. The converter seems beter too and have that little glass ball instead of the metal spring inside. The orignal nib is smoother too. So the jinhao will be used as a second cap and barrel to change color from time to time.

I played also with my knox nibs and tried the EF (way to fine for me), the M (seems smoother and juicer than the original bulow nib on the pen) and the OB2 oblique (I really like this one, it's not much of an oblique but write to well).

The knox ob2 is about the same size of my marlen dot-com B so it's not really an ob2 from my experience.

Will try to compare the B to the OB2 but anyway the 15$ pen with a cheap knox nib works very well !

If someone could build bigger converter for these pens it would be very nice.

Edited by SylvainP, 01 February 2012 - 02:39.

#44 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:02

All week, I have been using a Jinhao 250 at work. Private Reserve
DC Supershow Blue works fine. The nib is medium, but writes fine,
if I turn it over. The stiff nib cuts carbons.

I preceed use of all low-price Chinese pens with multiple flushes
of very warm 10% ammonia-water solution, soaking the nib and feed.
I believe poor ink flow comes from manufacturing residue. I would
not risk damaging a valued pen, but it seems to help.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#45 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 9,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:39

Thought I'd break out my Jinhao 321 today. I had forgotton just how well made it is. The nib writes just like my Kaigelu 306 and the only fine P61 I've had (got rid of the latter because I don't really like fine nibs).

Regards,

Richard.

#46 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:07

Got a recent release from Jinhao in the mail today; the Jinhao 159. This thing is bloody enormous. Virtually the same size and weight as the MB 149. Looks like a 149, also. All for $11.00 USD. Comes with a converter and a larger stainless steel nib. Smooth writer.

Jinhao 159.JPG

--
cuza

I don't think it's a coincidence that Jinhao (SHANGHAI QIANGU STATIONERY CO., LTD) named this pen the model 159. . .

Edited by cuza, 02 February 2012 - 22:21.

#47 atypical

atypical

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:32

This week: Picasso Gentleman 902 Platinum with Pelikan Topaz.
Next week: Jinhao X750 Steel with (probably) Ottoman Azure.

#48 Wh3r3sWald0

Wh3r3sWald0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 23:30

Three pens showed up today from China, and each one is very different.
baoer.jpg
This is a Baoer 517. It's not a bad pen, but it isn't as smooth as my other Baoer. I would consider this a medium weight pen and the nib need a bit of work as it is a bit scratchy and skips if you are writing very quickly. I will practice working on the nib with this pen. Its inked with Private Reserve Black Magic Blue.

Yiren.jpg
This is a Yiren 823. So this is one very heavy pen, even though it appears to be made of some sort of ceramic, it is 100% metal. The design is just painted on. There are two small areas that show blemishes in the finish, but nothing major. It writes very smoothly and is a bit on the wet side. It is heavier than the Twsbi 540 so I cannot write with it for very long before my hand starts to cramp. It will likely not be an everyday type of pen. It is currently filled with Diamine Sunset.

DOLCE-VITA-NARANJA.jpg
This pen is called the Dolce Vita Naranja, and was the most expensive of the pens that arrived today at 10 USD shipped. Personally that $10 could have been better spent. It is nearly 100% plastic and weighs about the same as a BIC pen. Its inked with Private Reserve DC Super Violet and likely when it's empty I will give it away to some unsuspecting relative. It is not scratchy and not a dry writer but there just isn't enough weight to the pen to inspire any confidence. One good thing is that the cap snaps very tightly and when you post it the cap snaps onto the silver band in the rear very securely. The nib is marked GERMANY.

One thing I am finding about these pens, they must be made for people with very small hands. I have a great deal of trouble using them if they are not posted. Of course when posted, the balance is all over the place. After I am done with these pens I have a few more in my watch list so maybe I will hit the jackpot on the next batch.

Edited by Wh3r3sWald0, 02 February 2012 - 23:34.

#49 Wh3r3sWald0

Wh3r3sWald0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 23:33

The Picasso is in my watch list, how do you like it?

#50 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 23:56

<snip>

DOLCE-VITA-NARANJA.jpg
This pen is called the Dolce Vita Naranja,
<snip>

I was at a friends house a couple week back and he let me try one he had. I was really impressed. Smooth and light. Very easy to write with. I liked it.

#51 atypical

atypical

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 00:47

The Picasso is in my watch list, how do you like it?

I like it a lot. It's a very smooth pen with excellent fit and finish. Without a doubt the best Chinese pen I've got.
The only "problem" I have with it, is that it's a bit on the dry side whereas I prefer very wet pens.

I suspect that the Picasso is equal in size -or perhaps even slightly smaller- than the pens you mentioned in your post.
If you prefer larger pens then size might be a concern.

#52 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 9,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:14

I understand that the Dolce Vita Naranja is made by Kaigelu as a different brand from their factory. I think I may get one - I've had a watch on one for months and to hear that it's light - well that would be nice as I really like lightweight pens. The heavier pens are a little difficult to hold for hours.

I have ordered myself a little Jinhao Century 5000 pen ( http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 ) . I want to see what the filigree is like. The Century pens have good nibs, so I have high hopes, but won't use it too much to avoid wearing the plating off. It's a shame they don't do it in chrome, as that'll wear off much more slowly.

Regards,

Richard.

#53 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:36

A Hero 616 arrived in the mail yesterday. I've recently had a hankering to get a vintage Parker 51, and the 616 was a way to scratch the itch quickly while I wait for the right pen to show up on Ebay.

The initial impression was so-so. This is obviously a cheap pen, but nothing fell off while it was being flushed. After filling, though, I'm reasonably impressed. It puts down a nice, consistent line, and feels pretty good in the hand. Good value for the $7 that isellpens gets for it.

It's good enough that I'm looking at the Hero 100 and 1000 a little more closely - but I still want that 51.

#54 filedog

filedog

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:45

A Hero 616 arrived in the mail yesterday. I've recently had a hankering to get a vintage Parker 51, and the 616 was a way to scratch the itch quickly while I wait for the right pen to show up on Ebay.

The initial impression was so-so. This is obviously a cheap pen, but nothing fell off while it was being flushed. After filling, though, I'm reasonably impressed. It puts down a nice, consistent line, and feels pretty good in the hand. Good value for the $7 that isellpens gets for it.

It's good enough that I'm looking at the Hero 100 and 1000 a little more closely - but I still want that 51.

My 616 amazes me, it starts right up every time!

#55 filedog

filedog

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:46

I got a Jinhao X750 today, finish is quite nice,
although the feed slots are vcut a bit roughly.
It writes well without even a cleaning,
it's AMAZING what you get for the money.

Edited by filedog, 03 February 2012 - 23:49.

#56 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 00:48

I am currently using 4 Jinhao X450s and 2 Hero 616 Jumbos but i have a whole stack of chinese pens due from ebay as I went a little crazy and couldn't stop clicking......

#57 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:41

Oooo .... who what which where what color? :vbg:

#58 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:30

Oooo .... who what which where what color? :vbg:

Well I've ordered another 2 Jinhao X450s, a 750, a Jinhao 159 (looks like the MB) and the Baoer model that looks like MB Skywalker

#59 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:56

gosh! i'm sad to report that i have not used a chinese pen in a week now. except at home. i always play with all my toys at home, but i don't think that counts. tomorrow, perhaps...??!!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#60 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 9,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2012 - 14:29

Rather off topic :
WayTooManyHobbies, I like your shaper. Do you use it much? I have a little 7" shaper that I always mean to use more, but rarely get anything done with it - it's so slow & I tend to get fascinated with just watching it and forget to pay attention to what it's actually doing. Mine is here:
Posted Image

Today's pen is a Hero 616 Jumbo. Hopefully it won't break in two like the one my daughter had last week. That split in half at the upper connector washer & she got a fistful of ink when it happened.

Regards,

Richard.