Pelikan Ductus

ParkerBeta

It looks like a nice pen to me and I will surely go for it if I can find it for less than 200US. Thanks for the review.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• QM2

• a-pen-for-a-sole

• Barry Scott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting review. I have a MB 147 en route and my first FP was a Cross that I used with cartridges at least half of the time. I have a few FPs that use cartridges and sometimes I refill them using a syringe and whatever bottles ink appeals to me at the time. I found the comparison of the nib to the Pontiac Aztek very funny! My better half loves her Aztek and I would love to show her this review, but think I'll pass. She doesn't share my interest in FPs and is very protective of her vehicle. If I find one of these pens for a good price, I may pick it up.

//mark

I have a pelikan epoch with the same filling system as this, and agree that it is horrible. But my epoch was 65$.

Still, I prefer to use my pelikano instead of the epoch, purely because I can fill the pelikano from a converter.

Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to flush this pen as long as it has not a converter or a piston?

Running water from a tap works too, but you have to be careful not to drop your pen nib first into the sink. I don't have this pen but I guess you could remove the blind cap and flush through the barrel, section and nib. Though this would be more awkward than flushing through section of a standard cartridge/converter pen.

Edited by raging.dragon

too bad it isn't a piston filled pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/375/4201/38437100004_large.jpg

Hey, don't knock the Aztec. Look - you can even camp in it. :wacko:

I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

To the OP - thanks for a review, never saw it before. Very informative. I thought it was a reasonably attractive pen, but seeing the nib, I wouldn't buy it, and agree that the filling mechanism (if you can call it that) is way too restrictive.

I think the 1990's Fiat Multipla may give the Aztec a run for the 'ugliest car award' .

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

This is a nice looking pen, capped. The nib is fugly, but I could live with it. I think the nib misses the mark design wise. A traditional nib would've looked better, or for a more streamlined "mid century modern" look, an inlaid, conical or hooded nib would've been fine. It is the filling mechanism guarantees I'd never buy or regularly use a Ductus. However, this won't matter as much to users/buyers who only use cartridges. To each, one's own.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad that Pelikan offered that fountain pen. There are those who prefer a traditional design, but it is good to have something to offer for people who want something more modern. This especially applies to the design of the nib, and you must admit that it looks different. Regardless of whether we like it or not.

Certainly flaw is that it only accepts cartridges.

Finally, at good prices, I do not have anything against this one.

I've had a Ductus for about five years -- the gold striped with a fine nib -- and love everything about it. The nib is wonderfully smooth and starts immediately, no matter how long it has been sitting idle. The weight, whether posted or unposted, is well-balanced, though when I'm doing a great deal of writing, I tend not to post. And I have no problems with the cartridge filling system. I've an Omas Milord paragon that uses a similar system. Hey, I even like my Sheaffer Intrigue.

• 1 year later...

AMC Pacer . XD

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

• 1 month later...

It looks like a nice pen to me and I will surely go for it if I can find it for less than 200US. Thanks for the review.

did you get this pen for 200usd? if yes, please help me to get the same. i want two pens. both gold and silver.

thanks

sriram

• 8 years later...
On 3/2/2009 at 1:01 AM, jips123 said:

Hmmm, mixed opinions about this pen, but overall I think I like its looks, including the nib. The visual design of a pen is a matter of personal preference. For instance, some people adore the flashy type or bling bling pens (like this MB pope pen. Duofold Snake etc) while I think of Liberace when I see these pens. To each his own. :happyberet:

I have mixed feelings about the filling system, not because it is not piston fill (which I prefer) but because it does not take a converter. :glare:

Thank you.  I think it's a beautiful pen, worthy of the Pelikan name, and in many ways superior in it's aesthetics to even the Souveran line.  To each their own.

I have a Ductus since long ago, more than 10 years, and I quite like it. The design is superb, modern and elegant at the same time. The nib...well, I understand the criticism, but I can't imagine this pen with the same nib as an M800. And it writes really well.

The pen is as comfortable as an M800, maybe even more depending of tastes. The cap seems to me a piece of art, but too heavy to post it behind the pen.

As for the filling system, it is quite convenient if you are going around with the pen, travelling or going to classes. You take some cartridges with you and that's all. At home, you can always fill cartridges with a syringe, that's what I do. No need to clean the nib+section as in an M800 so..not bad.

Funny this old thread got resurrected.  I noticed my Ductus sitting in  the pen box looking lonely last week and inked it up.  I really don't get all the hoopla over the nib because as others have pointed out the Sovran nib wouldn't look right.  The nib suits the pen and it rights beautifully.  My only beef is with the filling system and I wish Pelikan had included a piston filler.  It's a beautiful pen and I love mine.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

• 2 weeks later...

Must be popular (or maybe they didn't make a great number of them) as checking just now there's only 2 BPs on ebay, no FPs.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.