• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Ghost Plane

• mejdrich

• Tom Aquinas

~ Sleebus:

If it writes great, that's the bottom line.

The strokes are clear in that attractive Waterman ink.

In the image, I like the scallop design around the edge of the cap.

Thank you for posting a pen-in-use image.

Montblancs in offices have a special cachet.

Tom K.

Thanks for the kind words, Tom. I'm transitioning from finger-writing to arm-writing, so my style is a bit in flux at the moment! However, every now and then I see glimpses of what is to come and that makes me happy. I bought the Waterman Mysterious Blue on recommend here, and I have to say it's my favorite ink. Great color and expressive with shading. The two pens I'm using it in seem to like it much more than the highly saturated ones I was using previously.

Hoping you have a Presidential day!

~ Cordovian:

Nice!

Great photo with handwriting sample.

Thank you!

Tom K.

~ Pravda:

Big thanks for the photo of an iconic pen.

Having a handwriting sample shows the nib's quality.

That's my first time to see that ink. Nice!

Tom K.

Looks great.

the minor feathering and bleedthrough is due to the ink, not the pen.

I love iroshizuku inks', and i have 11 of them.... their one downside is the above mentioned.

One cant have it all, can we?

They do feather, a tiny little not enough to have annoyed me. But this paper is horrible, I use it for scrap just feel bad throwing it away.

~ Pravda:

Big thanks for the photo of an iconic pen.

Having a handwriting sample shows the nib's quality.

That's my first time to see that ink. Nice!

Tom K.

After taking the photo I noticed how tarnished the silver was. Then I deliberated for a bit if I like the 'effect' or not. But moments later I scrubbed it shiny/new again with a microfiber cloth. Took a step back and was amazed by the difference as it glistened in my drawer :)

Fuyu Syogun is definitely my favorite Iroshizuku. Even the name 'Old Man Winter' fits in my fantasies haha.. Particularly in a larger nib it is awesome, please do check out the reviews.

But this paper is horrible, I use it for scrap just feel bad throwing it away.

Beautiful pen!

The paper where I work is this horrible recycled stuff; feathers and bleeds through like crazy no matter what ink I use. I bring my own pads and paper for my desk printer so I'll have some halfway decent media to write on.

After taking the photo I noticed how tarnished the silver was. Then I deliberated for a bit if I like the 'effect' or not. But moments later I scrubbed it shiny/new again with a microfiber cloth. Took a step back and was amazed by the difference as it glistened in my drawer :)

Fuyu Syogun is definitely my favorite Iroshizuku. Even the name 'Old Man Winter' fits in my fantasies haha.. Particularly in a larger nib it is awesome, please do check out the reviews.

~ Pravda:

Will do. Thank you for the recommendation.

As larger nibs are of interest to me, it sounds very special.

The micro-fiber cloth brought the gleam into the finish.

It is one of the most visually stunning Montblanc fountain pen designs.

Excellent paper is precious, no?

Tom K.

i forgot to add the asterisk to my comment:

Iro ink is great but it feathers**

**= its more likely to do so, but only on cheap/pulpy paper. On good paper it behaves amazingly.

Again, I have 11 of them because i love them. Some even have a nice sheen...

-----------

I love your pen... Moar pics, pretty please?

Hi. That picture shows a 146 from the late 1980s or 1990s. Not sure if that is the one you are referring to in your story.

Might that be affected by the body/barrel? It did need to have the entire barrel swapped by MB because it developed a pretty serious crack. The nib is still original and my dad is pretty certain he bought it in the 70s. It has a fairly short serial. He could be wrong, though - I trust your judgement since you're more of an expert than me. Could be 80s for sure.

Any help dating it would be appreciated!

Edit: Yes, it's a 146, that's my mistake.

Edited by FatalElement

~ FatalElement:

That's a fascinating pen tale. Your father has passed along a special writing tool.

Thank you for the great photo with handwriting sample.

It's great to see such a fine pen in use.

Tom K.

Thanks! Although as zaddick pointed out, his tale may be somewhat affected by his memory as it appears he may have overestimated the age by a decade plus :)

But yes, his old Duofold and 146 are getting the use they richly deserve.

Hi. That picture shows a 146 from the late 1980s or 1990s. Not sure if that is the one you are referring to in your story.

Outstanding.

{thumbsup}

Fred

Might that be affected by the body/barrel? It did need to have the entire barrel swapped by MB because it developed a pretty serious crack. The nib is still original and my dad is pretty certain he bought it in the 70s. It has a fairly short serial. He could be wrong, though - I trust your judgement since you're more of an expert than me. Could be 80s for sure.

Any help dating it would be appreciated!

Edit: Yes, it's a 146, that's my mistake.

The swap would explain the later barrel as evidinced by the striped ink window. The 2 tone nibs like you have started getting installed in the late 1980s to early 1990s (they were phased in as I recall), but the monotone nibs were gone by 1992. Serial numbers started in the early 1990s, and a clip would not be replaced with a barrel service, so my guess based on what you have said is the pen is from the early 1990s. In the end it is all academic as the pen is an heirloom to you and more meaningful that just some random off eBay. I hope you continue to enjoy it and it bring you wonderful memories for many years to come.

By the way, here is a shot I swiped showing the two-tone and the monotone nib side-by-side:

fpn_1486766743__146_nibs.jpg

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!