Cerruti 1881

Scrybe

Are Cerruti 1881 FPs any good? Anyone own one?

My mother gave me one she had received from a store she visits regularly, but I can't find much info on the brand, and nothing on this particular pen (will try posting pics later). Its black and chrome and feels fairly weighty, but most of that weight is in the cap. The nib has "Iridium Point Germany" inscribed on it, and a nice little decorative pattern, too.

Not fussed on its value (doubting its very much), I'm just curious.

Either way, I'm stoked - its a free FP which writes decently. And, most importantly, it take international cartridges (no converter with it) so I can cave in to buying some Visconti cartridges (the containers look so cute that I've been wanting to get some, but none of my other FPs take international carts, so I tried to hold out, now I've got my excuse!!).

What an Oxford tutor does is to get a little group of students together and smoke at them. Men who have been systematically smoked at for four years turn into ripe scholars... A well-smoked man speaks and writes English with a grace that can be acquired in no other way.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrybe

• QM2

• I am not a number

• Beechwood

Top Posters In This Topic

I only recognise it as a label I have seen in the high street (posh high streets not the ones where I live).

If you like it and it works than that's about as good as anything gets!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Google keeps telling me stuff about perfume, so I'm not sure it is really considered a "reputable pen company" but it writes just fine for a free pen and it looks fair quality, so I'm immensely pleased with my new acquisition (four FPs now, 4! Scrybe dances energetically). Having a justification for those Visconti ink cartridges is also pretty sweet.

The only issue I have with this pen is the weighting. Unposted, its very light, posted its very top-very - the difference is startling. That said, its easy to write with and, as this is the only fault I can yet find with it, I'm hardly shedding tears, its actually pretty superb.

What an Oxford tutor does is to get a little group of students together and smoke at them. Men who have been systematically smoked at for four years turn into ripe scholars... A well-smoked man speaks and writes English with a grace that can be acquired in no other way.

I have one, I bought it in Portugal about 2 years ago. Very stylish pen writes well and no complaints. I think they are designed by Cerruti and made by Laban. Mine looks like a modern P51.

There is a UK main agent in Essex

Thanks Arthur, I think I'll contact that agent if I can't find out what model I have (alas, I don't know enough about different pen designs to offer any clue about which pen mine might resemble).

I agree that they write very well, and I am completely bowled over by the quality and aesthetics given there was zero cost involved. I doubt a casual observer would be able to tell it apart (on looks) from some of the £100+ pens, which is rather satisfying.

Depending on the price of these pens, I'd be inclined to recommend them to FPNers. And, if it is cheap enough to be given away in special offers, I think it might make an excellent gateway-pen for the young and/or uninitiated.

Edit: rewrite in light of added link.

Edited by Scrybe

The closest one I'm finding is the Post Modern - only mine is all black instead of having a white cap, and I the chrome ring around the base of the cap has a bevelled design around it (although you can't see it in the picture I've linked to). I have the ballpoint also.

• 1 month later...

Cerruti 1881 is a fashion house, not a pen company. Like Gucci, Vercace, and Armani, they do offer pens branded with their name, which are outsourced to an existing pen manufacturer. As has been said above, Cerruti pens are made by Laban. I have tried a few and the nib quality has been remarkably good. The pens themselves differ wildly from flimsy plastic ones to precious metals with gems. Nothing amazing, but can be good to have around if found at a low price.

Edited by QM2

It does smell nice ;)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

It writes pretty nice too, now that I've fitted a Waterman converter and filled it with Noodlers. Massive nib on it.