nib for writing in Arabic?

skinnyPens

To borrow from Scratchy's question what would be the best nib for writing in Arabic?

I'm just learning the language and learning to write it. Somewhere I thought I had seen a nib described as 'for writing Arabic', but can't remember where or what. I'm not up to Arabic calligraphy of course. Just wondered if a certain nib would make my writing better.

Thanks!

I like skinny Pens.

no more pens for me (she says she says)

unless of course I see a Silver Stripe Pilot Capless come up for sale.

then all resolutions are out the window!

=

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mattabrams2001

• skinnyPens

• OldGriz

• Robert Hughes

Brause makes a calligraphy nib, named the Hatat #100/01, listed as a nib designed for Hebrew and Arabic writing, and for left handers. I, being an overwriting left hander, and hence a "pusher", find the hatat to be less "scratchy" to write with than a fine point.

And of course, it being a dip pen nib, you can use a holder that's as skinny as you want. You could use coat hanger wire as a nib holder, if you so desired.

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Richard Binder makes a very nice Arabic nib that fits the Pelikan pens...

If you don't have a Pelikan, you can purchase one directly from Richard with that nib with no waiting for the nib to be ground....

I think that Richard Binder has shaped nibs specifically for writing arabic.

Arabic and Hebrew lettering tends to have wide horizontals and narrow verticals. Our western letters tend to be just the opposite. Essentially, a nib designed for Arabic and Hebrew is reverse of a western italic nib.

Depending on how you hold your pen, an oblique nib might be just as effective for you as a specialized Arabic/Hebrew nib. You might even have success holding a normal italic nib pen sideways or holding the pen normally but turn the paper 90 degrees (I know an amateur Hebrew calligrapher who does this).

Once in a while I see a Pakistani fountain pen with an Arabic nib on Ebay for an inexpensive price. Other than that, the Pelikan 200 with the Binder modified nib is another way to go.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Once in a while I see a Pakistani fountain pen with an Arabic nib on Ebay for an inexpensive price. Other than that, the Pelikan 200 with the Binder modified nib is another way to go.

I picked up one of these. Auctioned as a 'Dollar' pen. Barrel says Thlr in arabic. Piston filler. Based on some standard body (I have this one and a frankenpen with the same body) with a broad oblique nib.

It is possible that any broad oblique would work. Just rotate the nib about 90° to the paper.

Judd Rogers Lamy Safari M Cursive Italic, 1.1 mm stub Pelikan 200 B Pelikan Go Rotring Initial M and B Waterman 32 Unknown Franken Pen

Thanks for all the tips folks! I think I'm going to go for a Binderized pen. Save up for a VP and go that route. Maybe later when my arabic writing is both pretty, and well, are sentences that make since, I'll post some samples. It would be cool to see samples in non-roman alphabets that are just writing, not necessarily calligraphy.

thanks again!

I like skinny Pens.

no more pens for me (she says she says)

unless of course I see a Silver Stripe Pilot Capless come up for sale.

then all resolutions are out the window!

=

• 2 years later...

I believe Sailor has the Naginata Togi nib, which also has the same style of point?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I bought on eBay from a Montblanc 146 with a triangle instead the traditional star. It has a delightful Arabic EF nib that has narrow downstrokes, and wide side strokes. As an engineer who block prints about everything I write, it fits me very well.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

A fried of mine does gorgeous Farsi using my IB and stub nibs turned sideways.

You might want to search the board for SMK's posts for someone who does lovely Arabic [and English] calligraphy to inspire you. There's also a link in one of the threads down in the penmanship forum to stores that sell reed pens and other Middle Eastern gear for later when your studies advance.

One friend taking classes here in the States says their professor had them buy the rectangular construction pencils that have rectangular leads so they could erase but still get the proper lines.

I bought on eBay from a Montblanc 146 with a triangle instead the traditional star. It has a delightful Arabic EF nib that has narrow downstrokes, and wide side strokes. As an engineer who block prints about everything I write, it fits me very well.

This is the reason i switched from MB broad/stub to OB/OBB nibs, that I can get a wide side stroke and narrow downstroke :thumbup:

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB