Zerkall Book White Smooth and Vellum

I'm nearing the end of the samples that Renaissance Art sent me.

There was one "ewww", a few "it's a nice paper, but ...." a few "pretty niftys" and one :cloud9:

This is the :cloud9:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/tartymae/pens/ZerkallBook.jpg

I can't decide if I like the vellum or the smooth better. Things dry a skoosh faster on the vellum, but the smooth is like writing on Rhodia ... but 40lb (estimated weight) Rhodia. (The vellum being what vellum would be like if Rhodia did it.)

Be warned, this is not an inexpensive paper, but if nothing but bar none the best, the Rolls Royce of paper will do? I'm not kidding.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kadymae

• HDoug

• kiavonne

• Rapt

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I find your paper reviews very helpful!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

I really love the paper, especially the off-white (cream? creme?). But last I heard, Art hadn't set a price yet. He was contemplating this because it's soooo much more expensive. But people who spot for the leather should spot for the paper, no? I don't even want the leather. I want the paper.

Doug

I really love the paper, especially the off-white (cream? creme?). But last I heard, Art hadn't set a price yet. He was contemplating this because it's soooo much more expensive. But people who spot for the leather should spot for the paper, no? I don't even want the leather. I want the paper.

Doug

This paper, Zerkall Book Smooth, costs us about 75% more than our standard Arches Text Wove. We have not set a price yet because we are trying to figure out what is fair. This is my favorite writing paper. Your comment about forgetting the leather was interesting. We could offer it in custom size sheets which we hand tear from the parent sheet size and just put them in a simple folio or leather wrap like the one we sent the samples in. Thots on that?

Edited by Artbeast

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

We have not set a price yet because we are trying to figure out what is fair.

Firstborns.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

Well, it is Renaissance Art. I have to have the leather. And the paper in journals. But, that is me. The refillable journals would be a good compromise. I think it is already in the writing sets. I'm not sure how much loose sheets would cost, and could there ever be enough to afford for the needs? Expense is something, though. I imagine the Zerkall would remain the "Rolls Royce" of the custom offerings. Premiums paid for premium paper. I didn't know it came in an offwhite creme/cream. It'd almost consider it, it is an excellent paper. But I'm still on the honeymoon with the Frankfurt creme. :)

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Doug

This paper, Zerkall Book Smooth, costs us about 75% more than our standard Arches Text Wove. We have not set a price yet because we are trying to figure out what is fair. This is my favorite writing paper. Your comment about forgetting the leather was interesting. We could offer it in custom size sheets which we hand tear from the parent sheet size and just put them in a simple folio or leather wrap like the one we sent the samples in. Thots on that?

I would be very interested in the hand-torn sheets, perhaps in international A4 or A5? It would be great if you could sell them in folios to keep the cost down, as I'm not so interested in the leather files in your writing sets (although I like your journals).

PS: Arthur, I've emailed you a few days back. Did you receive it?

Paul

What I've been searching for (aside from a heart of gold) is a large unlined journal that lies flat(ish) and has fountain pen friendly paper. Seems simple. I used 8.5 X 11 Lalo cahiers until the large size was discontinued, then switched to Exacompta Basics large size until that was discontinued, then got our ArPharazon to make me an 8.5 X 11 journal out of HP 32 Premium which is smooth but broadens my tiny writing a bit too much.

Leather is nice, but expensive. I actually bought a "refill" from Renaissance Art to test the paper, but the standard paper, while very nice, wasn't smooth enough for my tiny edged nib and my finicky preferences. So a refill full of Zerkall Book Smooth would do it for me. But the number of people who share my particular preferences must be tiny given the difficulty I have in finding such.

I have some Kunst & Papier journals on order and I'm hoping those might work out. Else find a local bookbinder or custom order from the Book Factory or something, but I'd probably have to order a bunch of copies. My friends would tire of getting blank journals for Christmas...

If you're talking about loose single sheets... well, I don't know. I might use that for letters, but it's journals I'm looking for. A refill of Zerkall -- what would that have to cost? It really is great paper.

Just my comments and two cent opinions here...

Doug

Doug,

I don't think you're alone... Sounds good to me. I'd live without the lines for paper like that. Lines help me but I can manage if the paper was available at slightly less cost.

Too expensive and I'll resort to making them myself. :) Or trying to.

I think I'd vote for vellum finish.

Edited by Rapt

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

See below: Note sheet size!

"One of the best European mouldmade papers for fine book work as well as wood engraving, Zerkall book is a beautiful range of lightweight wove printing grades with two surface finishes (smooth & vellum) and colors (white, cream and softwhite). This sheet has great printing, handling and folding characteristics."

"All sheets are acid free, neutral sized, alkaline buffered with calcium carbonate and contain no optical brighteners. They meet the requirements for permanence according to ANSI/NISO Z 39.48-1992 and DIN ISO 9706. Made of 10% cotton/90% high alpha cellulose, with 2 natural deckles, and 2 tear deckles.

All Sheet are approximately 20.75" x 30", grain short."

"Colors:> Size:> Gsm:> Cost per sheet:

Vellum White 20¾"x 30" 100 $2.30 per sheet

White, WW, Cream 20¾"x 30" 145 $2.60 "

Smooth White 20¾"x 30" 100 $2.30 "

White, WWh, Cream 20¾"x 30" 145 $2.60 "

BOOK LAID - mouldmade of a mixture of cotton and high alpha cellulose. White, 2 deckles and 2 torn edges with a neutral pH.

Vellum, Smooth 24¾"x 34" 125 gsm $2.95 persheet"

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

See below: Note sheet size!

"One of the best European mouldmade papers for fine book work as well as wood engraving, Zerkall book is a beautiful range of lightweight wove printing grades with two surface finishes (smooth & vellum) and colors (white, cream and softwhite). This sheet has great printing, handling and folding characteristics."

"All sheets are acid free, neutral sized, alkaline buffered with calcium carbonate and contain no optical brighteners. They meet the requirements for permanence according to ANSI/NISO Z 39.48-1992 and DIN ISO 9706. Made of 10% cotton/90% high alpha cellulose, with 2 natural deckles, and 2 tear deckles.

All Sheet are approximately 20.75" x 30", grain short."

"Colors:> Size:> Gsm:> Cost per sheet:

Vellum White 20¾"x 30" 100 $2.30 per sheet

White, WW, Cream 20¾"x 30" 145 $2.60 "

Smooth White 20¾"x 30" 100 $2.30 "

White, WWh, Cream 20¾"x 30" 145 $2.60 "

BOOK LAID - mouldmade of a mixture of cotton and high alpha cellulose. White, 2 deckles and 2 torn edges with a neutral pH.

Vellum, Smooth 24¾"x 34" 125 gsm $2.95 persheet"

So, as you can see, firstborns and and/or kidneys for this paper.

It's fantastic, but if you don't need the Rolls Royce of paper and are content to motor along in an Acura or Lexus, there's Arches, Arturo, and Frankfurt which are all pleasant to write on.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

This is what I'm paying locally for the paper I use (cut myself) for correspondence. Its actually quite reasonable for 'art' paper.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

145gsm is actually a light board rather than paper. 140gsm is generally the cut off point between paper and board. I like to stay around 90gsm for paper stock.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Art,

I just bought a refillable journal from you recently and I love it. If you had the different types of paper available for refills, I'd buy one of each right now. I'd be far more into paying extra for nice paper for the refills than paying double for a bound book with paper that I never had a chance to try out.

Doug

• 3 years later...

and I am late to the party.

I was down at my brick and Mortar in Germany, and they mostly have Rossler.

They had 4 deckel edged Zerkall butten/verge 100 g for €0.50 or $0.75 a sheet...so it's the cheap stuff.

I just hit it with 17 nibs, using ESSR blue black.

Certain nibs show a bit of feather. Others not.

So What!!!!!

A tad of feather is totally acceptable to have the pleasure to write on this Zerkall paper.

Comfort level of a Lincoln Town Car.

The "Oh...so this is Paper." :yikes: :cloud9: :drool:

It is the best paper I've written on. Hang the expense I want to write on it type of paper.

It's not a perfect paper. Here and there I get a bit of Railroading with a couple of semi-flex nibs that had no or very little problem with RR on a number of other papers.

It feathered most with my modern MB Woolf springy B=BB.

It is not good for a maxi-semi-flex EF; it catches.

The regular flex EF and XXF worked just fine.

I find now that I have tested that paper, I have a sudden urge to write a letter or four.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Bo Bo. I am going to have to see if the Zerkall is available in journals. I suppose by looking at the available products, we can see what was resolved from the preceding conversation.

• 1 month later...

Renaissance Still carries Zerkall

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Renaissance Still carries Zerkall

And, as premium paper, it is also more expensive.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

You can have a McDonald's Hamburger or one from Five Guys, and you pay for what you get.

I think for better paper you will always have to pay more. You can use Pelikan ink...does a good job. You can use a Hero leaves marks on paper.

We do want better...better nibs, better pens, better inks...and pay for them, so wanting something more important than ink; paper we should go on a diet with out coke or out of house bought coffee, until the money for better paper has been saved.

You did not need those cocktails any way. You did and do need that paper.

Some day I'll get the better and best Zerkall papers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.