Nakaya Urushi - Cigar Piccolo (Custom)

Phthalo

Laura,

Your new Nakaya Urushi is . . .http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/070926-0068-01.jpg . . . beautiful!

Whenever I see your name attached to a review (any review) I'm immediately drawn to it, knowing full well that it will be extremely well-written and from the heart...In other words, just the way we like 'em here on FPN! :thumbup:

Congratulations on your latest Nakaya...It is absolutely stunning in every way...I hope it provides you with great satisfaction over the years.

Best Wishes,

-Clive

Edited for yet another infernal spelling error. Drats!

Edited by Clive Merrick Morel

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• sam

• rubyeyespenlover

• Leigh R

• 2 months later...

Great pen, great review. Only problem is that I now "need" a Nakaya. Luckily I like barren, understated pens so a simple long, clipless cigar but with one of the special Urushi finishes may fit the bill and I'd only need to sell a half down other pens to pay for it <g>.

Off to study the choices......

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

Laura, how does it look now?

In the first photo of my review (the one © Nakaya), you can see a slight unevenness of colour in the urushi finish (mainly on the cap) - where you can see through the brown to the underlying olive green in places - well, the pen is showing more of this patchiness all over now, so the urushi is clearing nicely!

In addition the lip of the cap and barrel are looking quite green, as are the tips of the conical barrel and cap ends. The grip section, where the urushi was thinnest, has also gone quite patchy. No photos because the change is not yet dramatic enough to record - I think in another two months or so a picture will be due, as I would have had the pen for almost five months at that point.

Also, the Nakaya website has been updated with the details of my gorgeous Olive Green Piccolo: http://www.nakaya.org/special/eolivep.html

:D

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Pthalo, I am wondering: how did you describe your request for that small Hagi bush image to Nakaya? I tried to order a pen with a small sakura design on the tip, but that malfunctioned badly.

(see here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...c=48238&hl= )

So I am curious what it is you said, as compared to what I said, that made your request understood and executed to your satisfaction.

Very nice pen by the way,

QM2

Hrm... it's possibly because I didn't really say much at all - I use Nakaya photos from their website, and I manipulate them to create a scale image of a pen which displays the elements of my chosen design in a lot of detail. The image then speaks for itself, and it means that there is little to no ambiguity about what I am looking for.

I have included a small sample of two designs below:

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/SpecialSample01.jpg

I use Photoshop and a black Piccolo image. I then re-colour it and layer my own designs over the top, or I layer elements of existing Nakaya work. I create Front and Back views, uncapped views, and cap-end views. This work can take hours, but I love doing it - I have about a dozen designs on file with Nakaya, and dozens more on my HDD.

Nakaya don't expect this much effort, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and this is the way I prefer to work things. It means that the design is immediately understood by Nakaya, and all that is left to clarify is perhaps the technique to be used. All of this then makes it very easy for Nakaya to quickly quote on the work.

Laura / Phthalo

Wow!! Ever consider offering your design services? I can see this as a real value add, and an excellent way for future buyers to overcome any language barrier.

Laura,

I can't tell you how many times I've come back to look at these pics of your pen -- it's so stunningly beautiful !! You've done an excellent job in designing this ... HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Thank you for all your kind words. :blush:

I just wrote a four-page letter to someone using this pen... I'm still smitten, and Sailor Brown looks absolutely smashing in it! :cloud9:

Laura / Phthalo

This is one heck of a beautiful pen! In particular, I loved this picture:

http://www.nakaya.org/special/original/olivep3.jpg

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

It may sound goofy, but I get a feeling of serenity (with Japanese shamisen playing softly in my mind) just looking at the images of your pen. -_-

Edited by parrothead56

• To be is to do - Aristotle
  • To do is to be - Nietzsche
  • Do be do be do - Sinatra

• 3 weeks later...

Laura,

As one other poster said,

EXQUISITE.

And just as wonderful are your design images I'd love to see them in a larger size, too.

This pen just speaks to me on so many levels, it expresses the true essence of what writing with a fountain pen is all about. The personal connection, the art and the essence of not only the individual writing but the artists who hand made the pen, the care and skill that went into the ink and the paper. Its cries out for calligraphy of whatever persuasion you can create. Whether occidental, or more in the Chinese and Japanese style where the form of the character may take on the meaning in some fashion, as expressed by the artist.

I never thought I could ever consider paying such prices for a pen, but seeing this clearly brings home that it would be easy, and a lifetime with that pen would be a reward a thousand fold beyond the mere dollar value. Much like a tea set made by an ancient master, use is meditation.

Thank you so much for your sharing of this.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

Hello Laura,

please, may I have some numbers out of your pen?

Thank you,

Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

• 9 months later...

Dear Phthalo,

i'm completely blown away by the lively and rich colours of your Nakaya. I'm impressed beyond words.

Thank you! :thumbup:

gyrosan

Edited by gyrosan

• 4 months later...

I would love to see follow-up pictures of how the finish has aged! Beautiful pen!

Ryan.

My God that is a handsome pen!

Ditto drifting and everyone else who asked for photos of ageing.

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!