Moonman P139

Anybody got that pen?

Eventually with EF nib?

I just saw on Etsy that there are two versions, one with a #6 and one with a #8 nib. I am taking about the #8 in EF.

Many months ago, I had a Moonman M8. It was an M nib, so I sold it again.

At that time, everybody was describing the nib quality as poor. Has that improved during the last three years?

Now, that so many pens appear in EF, I am tempted again.

Thanks 

spacer.png

-----

In the make: list of shops and private sales: http://mkengel.de/pensales/pensforsale.html (Sorry, it will take a long time. So many other things to do.)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• mke

• Karmachanic

• Waltz For Zizi

all EF tends to be more "scratchy" than "feedback". 

The two sizes nib on P139 is too normal to be talked about really. Or, I should put it in this way, modern china pen makers has no quality issue in steel nibs, among all which, my personal favorite would be the steel nib from JunL, magic radium tip provides pleasant feedback with just right amount of paper noise like concerto.

All other China makers tends to provide few feedbacks. Jinhao is the champ of skating. 

There are other makers out of China also provide concerto grade feedbacks. The feedback from Sailor, i would describe it as Gallop. 

Back to your topic, Majohn steel ef, could be scratchy. My pick was M, it was OK, super value given to its $5 worthy of steel nib. 

The new #8 nib doesn’t come in EF yet, unfortunately. I do like the #6 Moonman EF nibs, I find them to be small and to put out a fine comparable to a Pilot F. 

It seems that Wing Sung and Majohn do nor offer a steel #8 nib in EF, although Jinhao does. It’s the same for the steel heartbeat nibs, no EF yet. 

I plan to have the F nib on my larger P139 ground to a stub, it’s too wide a line otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Dan Carmell said:

it’s too wide a line otherwise. 

Cross stroke will be narrower, but down stroke will be wider, no? Tipping will be removed to make the round tip flat.  Unless the sides are trimmed, that is.

Add lightness and simplicate.

8 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Cross stroke will be narrower, but down stroke will be wider, no? Tipping will be removed to make the round tip flat.  Unless the sides are trimmed, that is.

Yes, but somehow a stub works for me as a modern F or M does not. The vintage Fines are usually just right, especially Parker and Sheaffer. 

10 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

somehow a stub works for me

Yes. I too prefer an edged nib.  Have been at 0.6 CI for several years, but am now being drawn to a finer line.  Time to get out the micromesh and Jinhao nibs.  Then I'll work on the Hakase. 😅

Add lightness and simplicate.

I received the white P139 with a #6 nib today. The stock photos on AliExpress show a flat white barrel but that’s not what I got at all. Instead, it’s sparkly on the surface—very sparkly! Under the sparkles, the resin is cloudy but not in a pronounced way like a marbled resin. It makes the orange barrel version seem a little tame!large.IMG_2767.jpeg.804e0c7166c918fe1b6aff11443ec67c.jpeg

I'm not sure if you need glasses but i saw the sparkles a mile away in all the selling posts I saw.

And regarding the nib quality, I personally would not buy chinese pens if I didn't know how to make them write better. I'm not joking when I say, I have tried over 60 jinhao 82's and not one of them wrote satisfactory. It is one of my all time favourites as I have over 30 myself but I make architects and italics or polish them/increase the flow.

I have bought close to if not over 100 chinese pens the past year and maybe 10% wrote good enough to not need an adjustment.

But that being said I am happy with them, as I care about the quality of the pen, the nib is easy to fix.

2 minutes ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

I'm not sure if you need glasses but i saw the sparkles a mile away in all the selling posts I saw.

I do wear glasses, perhaps they aren’t strong enough. I always look forward to your posts, always so charming and polite!

5 hours ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

I personally would not buy chinese pens if I didn't know how to make them write better.

Most (all?) of my HongDian EF nibs write very well out of the box. 

19 hours ago, mke said:

Most (all?) of my HongDian EF nibs write very well out of the box. 

Very much the same for me, ditto Asvine.