Waterman 554 with Small Crack?

theodore94

Hi everyone! I bought this 554 from a flea market. I wanted to ask:

1. How does the condition look to you? I think the overlay is in pretty good shape compared to other pens I've seen.

2. Is there any way to fix that crack in the barrel? Will it work even with the crack?

3. What is a fair value for a pen like this? I already bought it, but I'm curious if I got a good deal (I have been known to let my enthusiasm get the best of me). I haven't seen a 554 for sale in some time! 

Thanks so much for all of your help! There are some more pictures in the "Flea Market Find" album if helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• FarmBoy

• theodore94

• GlenV

It would be best for you to find a spare 54 BHR barrel and have the overlay transplanted onto it. 

I’d likely just replace the front section of the barrel. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Thats a very pretty overlay, it is a hard job to swap the overlay totally as FarmBoy mentions,  the nib/feed may not be original also, I think the mid 20's overlay would probably have had a New York 4 nib. Still is a very nice pen. Congrats

Regards, Glen

FarmBoy is right.  The best repair is to replace the part of the barrel ahead of the overlay.  Not an easy repair, but can be doe so that the repair invisible.  I don't trust repairs where the crack is fixed with a cyanoacrylate, even the "good" stuff.  Finding a replacement barrel is tough, and the stamping on the end would be different, or missing.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.