Swan numerology -- is that the right word?

Christopher Godfrey

I have two Swans among my collection: an early Model 2 (don't think this is the correct terminology) in red ripple HR, no ornamentation at all (#2 nib), and a 1042  in blue and black mottled celluloid (#4 nib), both of which have lovely flexy nibs (especially the early one).  My question concerns the numerical workings of the Swan models -- I have <no idea>!  I do have a collection of vintage Watermans and it took me a while to understand <their> identification methodology; but with Swan  I am quite at sea.  I do not understand their numbers at all.

Where is all this explained, anyone?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Godfrey

• Schaumburg_Swan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Christopher Godfrey said:

I have two Swans among my collection: an early Model 2 (don't think this is the correct terminology) in red ripple HR, no ornamentation at all (#2 nib), and a 1042  in blue and black mottled celluloid (#4 nib), both of which have lovely flexy nibs (especially the early one).  My question concerns the numerical workings of the Swan models -- I have <no idea>!  I do have a collection of vintage Watermans and it took me a while to understand <their> identification methodology; but with Swan  I am quite at sea.  I do not understand their numbers at all.

Where is all this explained, anyone?

Hi,

it indeed isn't easy or logical - Mabie Todd changed their nomenclature often...

For example in the line of Leverless models with #2 nibs in black calluloid (60) we have the L212/60 later the 0160 and finally the 4260.

The antipart to the 0160 with #4 nib is then the 1060.

A very good literature is Steven Hull's book "The Swan Pen"

Best

Jens

Ach, Jens, danke sehr: ich werde das Buch suchen.

Ja, danke noch einmal...