What Pelikan Are You Writing With Today? (2024 Edition)

Baka1969

Just now, SashK said:

It might be worth it just to find out if you love it or hate it. 

I have enough Lamy pens that I might be able to do a swap with and try. 

n+1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• Bo Bo Olson

• Baka1969

• inkstainedruth

Just now, Baka1969 said:

Poor Ruth.... 🤭

Yeah, the new one cost WAY more than the first one did -- or even the second one, where I then got a B nib unit at the Triangle Pen Show and then lost IT... and the B nib that was the replacement for the IM nib on that second one. :wallbash:

But then, I hated it when I lost a couple of Parker Vectors (the Aztec Gold color one, and the avocado green one). And those pens *combined* didn't cost ANYTHING like as much as the original Cafè Créme did....  (I think those two Vectors were $18.50 apiece plus shipping).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lamy is good, and a 90s-now Pelikan will also be a good option. Mont Blanc still makes obliques, but on order. I have an OB 146 but it's closer to an OBBB. Waterman also still makes obliques for their Carene. 

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

Yeah, the new one cost WAY more than the first one did -- or even the second one, where I then got a B nib unit at the Triangle Pen Show and then lost IT... and the B nib that was the replacement for the IM nib on that second one. :wallbash:

But then, I hated it when I lost a couple of Parker Vectors (the Aztec Gold color one, and the avocado green one). And those pens *combined* didn't cost ANYTHING like as much as the original Cafè Créme did....  (I think those two Vectors were $18.50 apiece plus shipping).

I used to lose nice lighters until I started using Zippos. I had a zippo stolen and one taken by airport security while dropping someone off. 

I lost a Waterman rollerball and a MB ballpoint many years ago, but it was the lighters that annoyed me. Thankfully I stopped smoking cigarettes about 6 years ago. 

n+1

3 minutes ago, SashK said:

Lamy is good, and a 90s-now Pelikan will also be a good option. Mont Blanc still makes obliques, but on order. I have an OB 146 but it's closer to an OBBB. Waterman also still makes obliques for their Carene. 

I have two Carene pens. Both in medium. I wonder how much it would be to order an oblique for one? I have four 146 pens but it would probably be too expensive to order one from MB. Plus if I want an exotic nib for one of my 146s it would be the flex nib. If I can find an oblique Lamy nib and like it I might do one with a Pelikan after. 

n+1

9 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

I have two Carene pens. Both in medium. I wonder how much it would be to order an oblique for one? I have four 146 pens but it would probably be too expensive to order one from MB. Plus if I want an exotic nib for one of my 146s it would be the flex nib. If I can find an oblique Lamy nib and like it I might do one with a Pelikan after. 

My Carene came with the nib, so I couldn't speak to that. I do know that Lamy replacements can be found at certain retailers. Off the top of my head I know that in the UK The Writing Desk can get Lamy nibs (and they test nibs before shipping). In the US Goldspot, the nibsmith and jet pens have them. 

I'd say you could skip the MB it was blobby, I sent mine to Masuyama to clean it up and enhance the line variation. 

Interestingly, the Carene is the closest to a true vintage oblique, and is quite sharp like an italic. 

Today I am just filling a small bird.

Anyone who would like to have a guess at model and year?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

smallBird.jpg

16 minutes ago, Claes said:

Today I am just filling a small bird.

Anyone who would like to have a guess at model and year?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

smallBird.jpg

P71 '90s

2 hours ago, Claes said:

Close, very close -- but no 🙂

Sadly, it's quite beyond my very narrow Pelikan collecting base.

Today, I'm using my new M205 Star Ruby with a fine nib and its eponymous ink. I think you could argue that these nice little demonstrators are maybe a little over priced for a plastic and steel pen, but they are superb and comfortable little writers. As always, here's a writing sample from my Graphic Image Leather Bound Hardcover  9" journal with cream paper and grey lines. I've become a creature of habit. When my replacement espresso machinee arrives, I can get back to my normal morning routine of coffee and journalling.

IMG_4362.thumb.jpeg.9e1b4423c285703d086406470c09473e.jpeg

IMG_4365.thumb.jpeg.d908d202bb063aeadb9bf8e41059e3d6.jpeg

1 hour ago, DilettanteG said:

Sadly, it's quite beyond my very narrow Pelikan collecting base.

Today, I'm using my new M205 Star Ruby with a fine nib and its eponymous ink. I think you could argue that these nice little demonstrators are maybe a little over priced for a plastic and steel pen, but they are superb and comfortable little writers. As always, here's a writing sample from my Graphic Image Leather Bound Hardcover  9" journal with cream paper and grey lines. I've become a creature of habit. When my replacement espresso machinee arrives, I can get back to my normal morning routine of coffee and journalling.

IMG_4362.thumb.jpeg.9e1b4423c285703d086406470c09473e.jpeg

IMG_4365.thumb.jpeg.d908d202bb063aeadb9bf8e41059e3d6.jpeg

They're worth it if you believe it's worth it. Also, if it writes well out of the box, that's worth something. Especially since not every pen maker tunes their nibs at the factory. Also, it's a great looking pen. Does it feel like a quality pen? 

I have a pen I just got that is somewhat disappointing with it's underwhelming feel in my hand. I'll be writing about it soon. 

n+1

@Baka1969 bummer. Hope you find a suitable replacement.

I was pretty happy with all the prices I ended up paying for my new M200/205 pens, but the suggested retail of $280 would probably be a deal breaker for me. It’s a shame that Pelikan went bankrupt with that price point.

12 hours ago, Claes said:

Close, very close -- but no 🙂

Gotta be a P71, I never know what decade they are from. I always assume it is older than 90s though. 

@SashK No, it is not a P71.

But you are very close: It is a Pelikan Go!, M75, a piston filler.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2go.jpg

1 hour ago, Claes said:

@SashK No, it is not a P71.

But you are very close: It is a Pelikan Go!, M75, a piston filler.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2go.jpg

Well then, I stand corrected! Thanks Claes!

I've got twenty pens inked at the moment due to my Pelikan shopping spree and then inking each one as they came. For science! So, I'm going to be revisiting a lot of pens I've already posted pictures of, just with new, dated writing samples. Obviously, have to milk the fun out of these new toys for as long as humanly possible.

IMG_4368.thumb.jpeg.c29e53a49a3476cc2a5c3f3309d95a72.jpeg

... and here is another of the lesser birds,

which is easier to identify than the M75 Go!:

lesserBird.jpg

Interesting design.  The shape and style are making me think "P22" (I have the "Chinatown" pen and the "International 4" pen (which also says "MOOVIE" on the barrel).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today it's a M200 Demonstrator with an IB nib filled with Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire. I'm really loving these very comfortable, lightweight pens. So far the factory nibs I received have all been silky smooth as well. Just a great little pen.

IMG_4376.thumb.jpeg.9bcf18aeb3f92eeb97090ddd8924196f.jpeg