Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

Much have I learned from the previous seasons. The two most important insights are:

(1) I still have fun in finding sets of three or four fountain pen inks that combine well in an aesthetical meaning and

(2) I like the challenge of using the set for a full month in the office, at home and for writing letters – in everyday use.

If possible, I like keeping one or two pens and inks from one set and building a new set centred around those, this way cycling slowly through my whole pen and ink collection.

I still have 34 fountain pens in my assemblage, four of them are my emotional and functional favorites and eight more are rigid and reliable EDC workhorse pens. All the others have either weaker emotional meaning to me or have some minor flaws which classifies them as nice to have but lower priority for routine use. Based on practical experience the pen classifications have undergone significant changes during the first Challenge year with some additions and some fine adjustment during the second season.

To use each of my 12 top pens during the upcoming 12 months is the base and motivation for season III. The new Ink Challenge does not have a certain title, it is without a clearly defined theme and also without strict rules. The only fix points are my willingness to post a fountain pen ink colour set each calender month and tell some words about the pens I use. I will do this at the first weekend each month.

The first and most important fact about Season III is that I have fun while doing it. My hope is, that the upcoming colour sets will inspire you – in which way ever. 😊 Maybe you post a handwritten note ✍️ or a drawing 📋 or an ink painting 🖼️ or whatever comes to your mind 💭.

Later each month – yes, I will wait for inspiration while I use the pens and inks 🤗 – you will find a second post showing something I did with the set colours.

This way, so do I hope, the Monthly Ink Challenge may better transform into a co-razy-view.

I‘m looking forward to the new season and to your creative responses!

See you October 1st.

One life!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monthly Ink Set – October 2023

… and so we start with season III

The four inks of the month are based around Autumn in progress:

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine – in Lamy 2000 Black Amber stub

KWZ Honey – in Stipula Suprema flex

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo – in Waterman Carène F

Diamine Writers Blood – in Kaweco Special (Red) EF

The two ink combos Olivine & Honey and Tsuki-yo & Writers Blood are my new favourites of 2023!

Here is a handwritten representation of the four inks with their pens.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce2777d76a34edf386bab3b4275b14d0.jpeg

Inspiration text:

It is now the time of the year when the days become shorter (in northern hemisphere) and the nights are starting to get cold. We move our focus from outdoors activities more and more towards our living rooms, towards drinking tea at the open fireside, reading a book or enjoy listening to music at candle light.

So far the first part for October. Please feel free to get inspired about ink colours and about sceneries connected to Autumn and indoor activities. I‘m looking forward to your contributions! Don‘t hurry, take your time!

Around October 15th I will post something I did with this colour set.

cu

One life!

• 2 weeks later...

It's October 15 and time for some results!

My first idea was to draw an Autumn leaf using the October colours:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b289e8486844af77010602e66817cd4.jpeg

My intention was to draw it with only one line per colour - which didn't work out. I needed 7 lines for the olive green, 6 lines for the honey ochre and two lines for the red. However, at least partly a success. The orange is not from the original October set, it is Montblanc Lucky Orange I received a sample at the Vienna Pelikan Hub! I couldn't resist. ;)

As I was not fully satisfied with the Autumn leaf, I did a second drawing, this time a greeting card with a poem in two versions:

image.thumb.jpeg.3dba8b4b19044ef10587d7df4eda3831.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7cc76eb8fcbcd053d8e0dc0b3bc5a894.jpeg

However, I failed to write in normal handwriting small enough to fit the text into the card. Sorry! I also didn't like to make a Photoshop montage. If you like, you may print the card (here is a version with higher resolution) and use it as intended: sending Autumn greetings to somebody!

That's it for October from my side!

I'm looking forward to see your interpretations of the October Ink Set 2023!

See you latest November 5 with the new ink set.

One life!

What LizEF said -- the artwork is amazing!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Had I persuaded my pens to produce such an autumn leaf, I would have been extremely satisfied. But I'm glad you weren't, because then we might not have seen the card, which is even more lovely. Thank you for sharing your work with us!

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

15 hours ago, knarflj said:

Had I persuaded my pens to produce such an autumn leaf, I would have been extremely satisfied. But I'm glad you weren't, because then we might not have seen the card, which is even more lovely. Thank you for sharing your work with us!

Thank you, @knarflj, you are too kind! :) 

One life!

• 2 weeks later...

Announced for coming weekend, I made it early by chance. So here is the:

Monthly Ink Set – November 2023

The four inks of the month are:

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux – in Eboya Kobune Taiyou MF

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine – in Lamy 2000 Black Amber stub

KWZ Honey – in Stipula Suprema Voyeur flex

Robert Oster Sydney Darling Harbor – in Pelikan M640 Niagara Falls EF

Here is a handwritten representation of the four inks with their pens.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e94608e0a0197b4bf72107798d93ca8.jpeg

Inspiration text:

Since ancient times most liquid and fine granular goods were filled in barrels and amphoras, and transported in carriages and caravans over land or by ship over seas. All four fountain pens of November have either barrel-like or amphora-like shapes (of their barrels 🤫) and three of the four inks are representing typical goods to be transported. The Harbour ink is a symbol for ship transport – maybe from Hudson river to Sydney, or once around the world …?

Let your mind travel, send your imagination along old trade routes.

See you November 19th, latest with some pen & ink output.

One life!

18 hours ago, InesF said:

Since ancient times most liquid and fine granular goods were filled in barrels and amphoras, and transported in carriages and caravans over land or by ship over seas.

:) Love it.  I may have to just draw and not comment since the thoughts that come to mind can't be discussed here.

You have a beautiful palette.  I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, Misfit said:

Late to post, that maple leaf of yours is so beautiful. 

Thank you, you are welcome! 🙏

One life!

On 11/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, LizEF said:

:) Love it.  I may have to just draw and not comment since the thoughts that come to mind can't be discussed here.

🙏😄😇

On 11/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, LizEF said:

You have a beautiful palette.  I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with.

Thank you, you are always welcome! To be honest, there were the 2 pens from October at first, from there I extended the pen shapes, then found inks for them, and now I'm partly clueless about what to do. 😇

I guess, November will have a dramaturgical peak with the team around Quin and some real life drama around four inks .... :lol:

One life!

How could this post escape my radar? It is as appalling as ever. Thanks for keeping it up.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I guess, November will have a dramaturgical peak with the team around Quin and some real life drama around four inks .... :lol:

:lol:

On 11/3/2023 at 1:35 PM, txomsy said:

How could this post escape my radar? It is as appalling as ever. Thanks for keeping it up.

Thank you, @txomsy, your are welcome. Please feel also invited to make the Monthly Ink Set III a real Co-Razy-Vew. 😄

One life!

On 11/7/2023 at 4:28 AM, AmericanMonk said:

@InesF Such beautiful handwriting! I am envious!

You are welcome!

And, please feel invited to participate in the CRV. ;) 

One life!