EFNIR: Jinhao Black

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Jinhao Black

This is review #250 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This cartridge was gifted to me by a generous FPNer. When heavily diluted (like washing out the cartridge), it's a nice dark blue, almost blue-black. :) The "Partial" water resistance is really "minimal" or "slight".  Cleaning was easy with plain water but did require some extra flushes due to how concentrated the ink is.  The ink is black, the images look sufficiently black. :)

Errata: Reviewing while kitten is awake, counting days inked, and spelling "permanence".

Zoomed in photo
large.JinhaoBlackZ.jpg.ce3fc66c598246e511c217f433a64c33.jpg

Screenshot
large.JinhaoBlack.jpg.e68dff96f446e5efd5584810a893f5c8.jpg

Scan of Completed Review
large.JinhaoBlackS.jpg.b018823e236c0e699d5853004046df04.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper)
large.JinhaoBlackAP.jpg.a997f9396d9be8cfff0b6b87c42200b8.jpg

Line width (The "h" in Rhodia. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 318µm. With 250 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)
large.JinhaoBlackLW.jpg.4e518fb47158009baf54668d8cc44cd0.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Lots of these feathery lines. I assume the color is just due to the glass or something - there was no red or purple hue to the ink.)
large.JinhaoBlackSmear.jpg.7df83ecf184787324f09374b67caae1c.jpg

Water Test Results
large.JinhaoBlackWT.jpg.b25a6729f5256125ccc7ee7b6fefc1d1.jpg

Chromatogram (The blue color is fairly accurate in the photo.)
large.JinhaoBlackC.jpg.081e4f17e59bcaed252f3dc05d91630b.jpg

Previous Review: Diamine Sepia.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

Iz Tuesday.  Yaay!

Holy cow.  A feathery swirl in a purple sea…upon which sits a teeny gnome.  Is he malevolent?  We don't yet know.  But walking skeletons: this is pure Ray Harryhausen territory and I love it.

Do I have this ink?  I can't be sure.  I do have some black ink carts and a cute little bottle of Jinhao Blue (which is nicknamed 'Jink').  But are the black carts Jinhao?  Probably.  And I've used them.  In a Jinhao pen!  They were hard-starting, to my recollection.

Thanks once again, @LizEF, for another wonderful review and story.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

7 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Iz Tuesday.  Yaay!

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Holy cow.  A feathery swirl in a purple sea…upon which sits a teeny gnome.  Is he malevolent?  We don't yet know.

:lol:

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

But walking skeletons: this is pure Ray Harryhausen territory and I love it.

:D

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Do I have this ink?  I can't be sure.  I do have some black ink carts and a cute little bottle of Jinhao Blue (which is nicknamed 'Jink').  But are the black carts Jinhao?  Probably.  And I've used them.  In a Jinhao pen!  They were hard-starting, to my recollection.

This is one of the difficulties with Chinese inks in general, but also with cartridges - the branding isn't always there or isn't always clear.

14 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks once again, @LizEF, for another wonderful review and story.

:) You're very welcome!  And thanks!

Great review as usual @LizEF :thumbup:

I see it's water resistance is futile ;) 

I love how you managed to marry the quote and the story line :)

Glad Quin sticks with the staff/orb. He's "thowing" guts as Ethrie would say 😛

Thanks more making Tuesdays memorable 🙏

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Great review as usual @LizEF :thumbup:

:) Thanks!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I see it's water resistance is futile ;) 

Pretty much.  If you hurry, you might recover what you wrote, but you'd better be fast!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I love how you managed to marry the quote and the story line :)

:D  Been trying to find fitting quotes - it's not always easy.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Glad Quin sticks with the staff/orb. He's "thowing" guts as Ethrie would say 😛

:D Like the others, Quin's loyal to his friends, whatever the risk.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thanks more making Tuesdays memorable 🙏

:) You're most welcome!

Thank you @LizEF for inktroducing black inks with a special focus on interesting microscopy images! :thumbup: I got the impression that's really the most useful aspect of black inks and I feel lured into buying some of them for my own microscopy experiments.... 🤪

The stealth blue aspect of this Jinhao Black can be a thing. Did you see the blue in the writing sample (under some angel of illumination and/or inspection)?

Having missed two previous episodes, I try to keep up with the story. Ou party seems to enter a classic dungeon scenario. This makes me curious - I'm looking forward to damp stone walls, mossy wet strings reaching from the invisible ceiling, prison doors opening with creaking and rusty arrowheads shooting out of hidden holes in the wall ... 🫣😱

One life!

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Thank you @LizEF for inktroducing black inks with a special focus on interesting microscopy images! :thumbup: I got the impression that's really the most useful aspect of black inks and I feel lured into buying some of them for my own microscopy experiments.... 🤪

:D You're very welcome!  And the microscopy can be fascinating, and boring - just depends on the ink.  If you try, I hope you share some of your findings!

1 hour ago, InesF said:

The stealth blue aspect of this Jinhao Black can be a thing. Did you see the blue in the writing sample (under some angel of illumination and/or inspection)?

No, I only saw the blue - and very clearly - during cleaning.  Initially, it was when I was cleaning the pipette used to fill the converter - that's why I did the chroma.  I think it might be a very nice blue-black when diluted, but I'm not sure how well the lubrication and flow would hold up to dilution...

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Having missed two previous episodes, I try to keep up with the story. Ou party seems to enter a classic dungeon scenario. This makes me curious - I'm looking forward to damp stone walls, mossy wet strings reaching from the invisible ceiling, prison doors opening with creaking and rusty arrowheads shooting out of hidden holes in the wall ... 🫣😱

:D :D Don't forget, there's a link to catch up on the whole story quickly.  I hope your imagination continues filling in the details - I'm afraid our format is keeping me from much of any descriptions!

Since I use broader nibs, I find that black inks with a bluer tinge to them are really nice to play with. That would make this one likely to be fun for me. 

7 minutes ago, arcfide said:

Since I use broader nibs, I find that black inks with a bluer tinge to them are really nice to play with. That would make this one likely to be fun for me. 

:)  It may indeed.  It is a very black black, so you might have to spread it thin or dilute it, who knows.  But it's inexpensive, so should be no problem to test.