Amazon.com.au Prime Day Deals 2023

A Smug Dill

N.B. These are prices in Australian dollars, of course.

• Sailor Hocoro dip pen with 2.0mm Italic nib (and built-in ink trough/underfeed) — $12.13
    which is probably the lowest I've seen anywhere so far
  • Sailor Kiwaguro ink, 50ml bottle — $17.85 dropped to $15.05 overnight,
    which is the lowest I've seen

which is a good price for a standalone item, although I've seen multi-buy/combo deals recently that would have brought the effective price slightly lower than that
  • Faber-Castell e-motion Pure Black fountain pen with F nib — $139.27
  • Faber-Castell e-motion Pearwood Black fountain pen with chrome trim and F nib — $144.24
  • LAMY Aion in Dark Green with F nib — $65.36
    which is probably a good price (and I ordered one just now) and cancelled, on account of the next item I just found
  • LAMY Aion in Black with F nib — $56.57
  • LAMY Studio in (shimmery) Dark Drown with EF nib — $78.47
    which is a decent price, but it's a shame I can't reconcile with the grip section on that pen model
  • LAMY Lx in Rose Gold with F nib — $49.40
  • LAMY Accent in aluminium with black rubber grip and M nib — $73.15
    I'm not actually sure how good the price is, given this very underrated pen model seems not so easy to find these days; seems decent, but it'd be pretty pointless if one cannot readily buy more of the interchangeable grip section shells
  •  
Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• sketchstack

• XYZZY

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little late here but for future reference, some Amazon Prime Day "deals" are completely dubious. I've seen where people add items to their carts leading up to Prime Day thinking they'll hold out to get (potentially) a better deal. Then on Prime Day, indeed some of the saved items have the special badge/graphic indicating that's a special deal --when in actuality the price is the same as when they originally added the item to the cart. They would not have known except the noted the original price. 

I suggest using a price tracking site like CamelCamelCamel to get a better gauge of the highs and lows of product's price. 

Thanks for that advice.  This was the first time I bought anything on Prime Day, a completely unplanned computer upgrade that I am quite pleased with.  I normally use camelcamelcamel when looking for deals, but did not even think about on Wednesday morning, just blindly assuming it had a great deal.  I just looked up the ASINs on CCC and it turns out it was a best ever deal.  But I can certainly see how that might not be the case, and that it was naive of me to think the deal was actually special.

2 hours ago, XYZZY said:

But I can certainly see how that might not be the case, and that it was native of me to think the deal was actually special.

One of the items (which is not a pen) I bought on a Prime Day Deal dropped in price by 20% immediately after Prime Day. It happens; that is why I (almost) always use a credit card on which I have a price protection insurance policy, such that if the price of an item (or completely identical product) drops with N months, I can make a claim for a refund from my card issuer (and insurance provider), if the original purchase was paid wholly using that credit card.

Yes, “Prime Day Deal” or any other promotion on Amazon — or any other online shop or marketplace platform — neither means nor promise it's cheaper than all prices 30, 60, or 90 days prior, or (say) 7, 14, 30 days hence.

Using camelcamelcamel is OK, for items I don't want to watch like a hawk, and jump on good deals (quite possibly for a very limited time, like a blip of a pricing fluctuation, or limited number of units available in stock) immediately while it applies and before others do; that service is useful for prospective purchases I essentially “put on the backburner”. One thing I've learnt is that it should not be assumed that one or more other camelcamelcamel users would have been interested enough in the same product, down to the size and colour variation, to be watching it using the system.

Furthermore, there are many things I didn't and wouldn't know I want, and wouldn't think to set up a watching brief in camelcamelcamel, until one of the promotions show me just how low its price can be.

2 hours ago, XYZZY said:

This was the first time I bought anything on Prime Day, a completely unplanned computer upgrade that I am quite pleased with.

I had some trouble with one of my network routers (which is over ten years old) here a few weeks ago, and I had to scramble and get a replacement in a hurry at whatever price I could find either in a store or with (at the latest) next-day delivery. However, Amazon delivered late on that order, and somehow the trouble cleared itself up (even though I worked with my ISP on trying to sort that out over several days beforehand, with no resolution) in the meantime, so I returned it.

Come Prime Day, I found a slightly older but adequate router model than the one I ordered recently, on a Prime Day Deal special, and talk on OzBargain suggested that it's the lowest price ever. So I jumped on the unnecessary purchase. Amazon delivered late again; and, on the day the new router was supposed to arrive, my old router shat itself. So, but for the unexpected late delivery (for which Amazon gave me $20 credit in apology to appease), the timing of that turned out to be perfect.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.