Sterling silver ballpoint pens

orangezorki

Hello all,

It may well be over a decade since I last visited here, but that does not mean that I have forgotten that you are a fantastic resource, and I still remember much of the knowledge that I gleaned from when I was active.

I wonder if you could help me with a bit of a conundrum.  

This week I found out that I have passed possibly the most important exam in my life, one that will open up opportunities in my career that I had come to terms with that I might never have.  Four senior colleagues were kind enough to support me, and without the signatures of three of them to say that I was worthy of even trying, it would have never happened.  So, while I do not need to, I would like to give them something to show my gratitude. In the past when I have been shown similar levels of support and kindness, I have given Yard-o-Led fountain pens, but as they have increased so much in price, and with the number that I need to buy, it's a bit too much money.  So I have settled on the idea of a sterling silver ballpoint.  Ideally it should not have a smooth finish (scratches), be from a quality brand and have refills that are easily available and not too expensive that the recipients feel unable to use it.

What I had not anticipated is that even here in London, 95% of the options it seems are either a MontBlanc or a Bic!  If at all possible I would like to buy in person and I've traipsed through many local shops, and visited both a huge mall (Westfield Shepherds Bush) and Harrods today.  I know from personal experience that less and less writing is needed in most jobs but I was still disappointed in just how bad the selection has become.

Harrods did have some very nice Caran d'Ache 849 pens supposedly in silver, but they were not hallmarked and as they were £150, while not cheap, I do wonder if they are plated or some other metal.  On the plus though, they are an iconic design that I enjoy using, and the refills are likely to be available for decades, if a bit pricey.

I don't mind paying the extra for the Yard-o-Led Diplomat which seems to be around £295, but again I can not find anywhere to buy one in person, and I have just realised that they do not use the Parker-style refills that I had thought they did.

So, does anyone have any ideas?  Even if you think they are silly, please go ahead!

D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangezorki

• joss

• scribble1

• Dione

You could consider a vintage ballpoint, such as the Sterling Silver Ciselé Parker 75 or Parker Classic. These are stylish pens that take modern Parker refills. They can be found in well preserved condition although finding 4 of them could be a challenge.

Parker 75: www.catawiki.com/nl/l/15703665-parker-75-sterling-silver-925-cisele-ballpoint-pen

Parker Classic: www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-parker-75-classic-cisele-1776279796

There is also the Sonnet in Sterling Silver Ciselé in Parker's current line of pens, quite expensive though:

www.parkerpen.com/collections/classic/sonnet/sonnet-ciselé-ballpoint-pen/SAP_1931492.html

Also Sheaffer had (has?) very nice Silver ballpoints in different finishes, see for instance this New Old Stock pen:

www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-imperial-834-ballpoint-pen-sterling-marquetry-reminder-clip-new-old-stock.html

Thank you so, so much Joss!  While I'm not a great fan of modern Parker pens, the one you have suggested really fits the bill.  

But... the Sheaffer suggestion really knocks it out of the park.  Silver, ballpoint, durable surface, vintage, common refill, not too expensive, it could not be better for the purpose I described.  I've just ordered 6 in the hope that they actually have that many NOS.  Shipping is only about $10 per pen, and import duty will still keep it below what I was expecting to spend.  Even if they only have one, I'll probably still get it for all the reasons above.

Again, thank you!

David

You are welcome. These silver Sheaffer ballpoints with gold reminder clip are very classy writing instruments. The seller, with whom I have no affiliation, is also a friendly and respected member here at FPN.

Congratulations on passing your exam. :)

You could check out some UK online sellers such as Cult Pens, The Writing Desk, Pure Pens etc. There are several others that are really reliable but that you may not be able to visit in person.

I hope that your experience of import taxes and fees won't make your purchase from the US too expensive.

Thank you both for your kind words.

It's great to hear that the seller has a good reputation, as the name only rang a very distant bell.  So far, definitely no complaints as within 24 hours I was asked about courier preferences and given a shipping confirmation.  So it looks like they had all six, and I was phoned by DHL today to say that the customs and fees on the declared ballpoints will be about £100, which is less than I suspected, but not so little to indicate that the seller does shady things like labelling a priceless antique as Hubba Bubba.

I also definitely would be happy buying from any of the UK sellers you mentioned, Dione, and have been a customer of Cult Pens in the past, and possibly the others.  Unfortunately nothing quite seemed to fit the bill though I think that is a reflection on what is currently made and their prices rather than a criticism of the shops.  In fact I still made a sale for Cult Pens as I seem to have converted one of my colleagues to being a victim umm collector and he is going through a 'piston-filler or nothing' phase.  One TWSBI sold!

D

I have the Otto Hutt Design No 2 Silver in a honeycomb body pattern which I think is a beautiful well made ballpoint pen. They also have them in silver with different guilloche patterns. This is a German company. I think it is a good price for a silver pen. 

ottohutt.com 

Here is one sold on a UK website 

https://www.penheaven.co.uk/otto-hutt-design-02-ballpoint-honeycomb-silver

2 minutes ago, scribble1 said:

I have the Otto Hutt Design No 2 Silver in a honeycomb body pattern which I think is a beautiful well made ballpoint pen. They also have them in silver with different guilloche patterns. This is a German company. I think it is a good price for a silver pen. 

ottohutt.com 

Here is one sold on a UK website 

https://www.penheaven.co.uk/otto-hutt-design-02-ballpoint-honeycomb-silver

It takes standard Parker G2 refills. I like the OHTO gel ink Needlepoint refills PG-105NP which you can buy on the Cult Pens website in the UK. 

Thank you all,

They arrived today!  Well packaged, quick delivery and with decent presentation boxes.  They aren't big, but they are really beautiful.

What I am now wondering is how old they might be, especially as the stickers on the pens are gold-on-black, embossed, and suggest to me that they are from well before the widespread use of digital inventory management.

Thanks again,

David.

(To be clear, I'm talking about the Sheaffer 834 pens)

The 834 model was part of Sheaffer's "Imperial" line of pens which came in many different finishes. The 834 model is shown in the Sheaffer service manual from 1976 but not in the 1972 manual. The 834 is also not mentioned in the "current line of pens" list in the 1988 service manual. So a rough estimation of the production date of the 834 model is mid 1970s to mid 1980s.

The SheafferTarga website lists the different finishes of the Sheaffer Imperial fountain pens: www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial and Triumph/Imp Triumph Ref List.html.

Thank you again Joss - your estimate matches that from the seller, and the fact that the pens are about as old as I am is a lovely coincidence.

I will definitely have a look at the link and highly suspect that an Imperial fountain pen is somewhere in my future!

D

Crosss Century series , both old and new , I second the Sheaffers too, had a couple myself , if you can find one the Parker , various models old and new had been produced in Sterling Silver alright , the classic 75 is perhaps easiest to get hold of