Parker nib sizes and numbers

Ron Z

I'm not sure where I got this.  I found it in a file while looking for something entirely unrelated.  But the nib numbers and related sizes have got to be something that everyone goes looking for at some point.  So here it is, pinned.

Parker nib sizes

Mark

Description

Needle. An extremely fine point for precise figure work.

Accountant. Very thin lines with a delicate touch generally considered for bookkeeping work.

Extra fine. Very fine line with a light touch.

Steno. Fine point adapted for shorthand use.

Fine. Fine line for general use with a moderate pressure.

Medium. Optimal for average writing pressure producing an average line width.

Broad. Excellent for general writing to produce a thicker width.

Extra broad. A large round tip producing very wide lines.

Fine stub. A flat nib, omitting the normal round tip, intended for delicate shaded writing. It produces a wide line on the vertical stroke and thin line on the horizontal stroke. This nib was intended for people who write with the slightest slant in their pen.

Medium stub. A wider flat nib for shaded writing. It produces a noticeable variation in line widths between the vertical and horizontal strokes. It was intended for people who write with a slight slant of the pen.

Broad stub. A wide flat nib that produces a large variation in line widths between vertical and horizontal strokes, adding a significant flair to the written words.

Extra broad stub. The widest flat nib available from Parker. Very wide vertical strokes and thin horizontal strokes that adds a lot of flair, somewhat reminiscent to the writing found in the US Declaration of Independence.

Stub thin music. A flat nib thinner than the fine stub nib that was intended for sheet music writers. It permits the user to write small musical notes.

Medium right oblique. It has the largest surface on the right side of the point.

Broad right oblique

Medium left oblique. For those who slant the pen when they write. It has the largest surface on the left side of the point. Intended for left-hand writers.

Fine Arabic
Medium Arabic

Intended for shaded print-writing. Good for those who hold the pen nearly vertical to the writing surface.

Extra broad executive with a HUGE ball tip.

Fine italic
Heavy extra broad italic.

With a flat and broad edged point, this nib was especially designed for italic writing with contact to the paper typically at an angle of 45 degrees.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Bo Bo Olson

• alexwi

• Michael Jennings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, Ron. Very good information.  There is a similar chart in the Zazove & Shepherd Duofold book in the Centenniel Duofold chapter. Hope you all are well. Enjoy your weekend. Best wishes, Barry

I'm amazed that they'd make and possibly stock 21 different nib styles, not to mention that there was a market for such a wide array of choices.

And this was in the 60's, when I believe that ballpoints were already popular!

Does anyone know if any other pen manufacturers offered so many choices?

Thanks!

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Here's 23 by Pelikan

3316176_PelikanNibs.thumb.png.58bb0163089cfb230201676985d8eefb.png

(I'd credit source but I don't know where it came from.)

3 hours ago, alexwi said:

I'm amazed that they'd make and possibly stock 21 different nib styles, not to mention that there was a market for such a wide array of choices.

Does anyone know if any other pen manufacturers offered so many choices?

Thanks!

Alex

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Maybe you can post this in the Pelikan forum - we can pin it once its there.   Or I can move it and pin it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Wahl-Eversharp offered quite a few*, and apparently it was quite usual (at least for a while) for a dealer to have them all available to fit on a pen at time of purchase (for some models, at least). Wahl before Eversharp sold their Tempoint pen that was known for the quality and variety of their nibs. 

*17 styles of nib on up to 6 nib sizes (0 to 6) each. 

3 hours ago, alexwi said:

I'm confused -- I don't see any reference to dates in what Ron posted. 

5 hours ago, Ron Z said:

Maybe you can post this in the Pelikan forum - we can pin it once its there.   Or I can move it and pin it.

Posted, now needs to be pinned please.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

8 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I'm confused -- I don't see any reference to dates in what Ron posted. 

For some reason (possibly because it's the oldest Parker pens I'm interested in), I associated the list with the 75, which was first sold in 1964.

You're right, though. This variety could've applied to older pens as well.

Alex

It was for the 75 first, but I found that the numbers applied to the Duofold Centennial and International when they came out.  Its been quite a while since I looked at VP nibs that I have, so may apply to them as well.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Hey Ron...Where does the "45" nib on the Parker I bought from you fall? Or are these for more recent nibs?

3 hours ago, Michael Jennings said:

Where does the "45" nib on the Parker I bought from you fall?

Parker 45 nibs were graded with letters. They didn't have such a great variety, but I believe they went beyond the basic EX, F, M, B, including accountant (finer than xf) and stubs.

On 4/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, alexwi said:

And there was Esterbrook, of course! 

For Parker 45, the alphabet code was generally inscribed on the nib collar, but there is an example where the "42" number code was inscribed on the nib collar.

There is an example of the number code used for the replacement nib package.

The 45 nib types will take some time, but you can understand them by reading from the beginning of the link below.

A post with "42" codes on the nib collar and a number code table.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/18818-parker-45-nib-codes/?do=findComment&comment=4125076

Edited by Number99

Thanks for the info guys,.. but this is not a "Parker 45" pen. It is a "Depression era" button fill with a soft stub nib, ebonite feed..and the number 45 on the nib.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:16 PM, Ron Z said:

I'm not sure where I got this.  I found it in a file while looking for something entirely unrelated.  But the nib numbers and related sizes have got to be something that everyone goes looking for at some point.  So here it is, pinned.

Parker nib sizes

Mark

Description

Needle. An extremely fine point for precise figure work.

Accountant. Very thin lines with a delicate touch generally considered for bookkeeping work.

Extra fine. Very fine line with a light touch.

Steno. Fine point adapted for shorthand use.

Fine. Fine line for general use with a moderate pressure.

Medium. Optimal for average writing pressure producing an average line width.

Broad. Excellent for general writing to produce a thicker width.

Extra broad. A large round tip producing very wide lines.

Fine stub. A flat nib, omitting the normal round tip, intended for delicate shaded writing. It produces a wide line on the vertical stroke and thin line on the horizontal stroke. This nib was intended for people who write with the slightest slant in their pen.

Medium stub. A wider flat nib for shaded writing. It produces a noticeable variation in line widths between the vertical and horizontal strokes. It was intended for people who write with a slight slant of the pen.

Broad stub. A wide flat nib that produces a large variation in line widths between vertical and horizontal strokes, adding a significant flair to the written words.

Extra broad stub. The widest flat nib available from Parker. Very wide vertical strokes and thin horizontal strokes that adds a lot of flair, somewhat reminiscent to the writing found in the US Declaration of Independence.

Stub thin music. A flat nib thinner than the fine stub nib that was intended for sheet music writers. It permits the user to write small musical notes.

Medium right oblique. It has the largest surface on the right side of the point.

Broad right oblique

Medium left oblique. For those who slant the pen when they write. It has the largest surface on the left side of the point. Intended for left-hand writers.

Fine Arabic
Medium Arabic

Intended for shaded print-writing. Good for those who hold the pen nearly vertical to the writing surface.

Extra broad executive with a HUGE ball tip.

Fine italic
Heavy extra broad italic.

With a flat and broad edged point, this nib was especially designed for italic writing with contact to the paper typically at an angle of 45 degrees.

I have made in France 18k #95 nibs on my French Parker 75s and they look like medium italic. 

Khan M. Ilyas

19 hours ago, Michael Jennings said:

Thanks for the info guys,.. but this is not a "Parker 45" pen. It is a "Depression era" button fill with a soft stub nib, ebonite feed..and the number 45 on the nib.

Your pen predates the nib numbering system.  The numbers on your pen are the date code. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

• 3 months later...

I am going to add some Centennial numbering if I may (marked on the feed): 

18K nibs: 80 - standard (non-oblique/italic etc.) NEEDLEPOINT (EEF), 81 (or X) - EXTRA FINE, 82 (or F) - FINE, 83 (or M) - MEDIUM, 84 (or B )- BROAD, 85 - DOUBLE BROAD. 

14K nibs (made mainly in 1987): 21 - EXTRA FINE, 31 - FINE, 41 - MEDIUM, 51 - BROAD (though 31 felt rather M to me which is however also common with 18K nibs...).

Normally I would have think that the first digit of 14K numbering should equal to the second digit of 18K numbering (such as 31 = 83) in order to make at least some sense, but it is not so.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• 1 month later...

DaRn. ☹️ No number on my c.1965 Super 21 nib. 

I "know" the Super 21 was available with a Fine or Medium nib. Was a Broad nib also available?

It acts like a Broad using three different Diamine inks. ☹️ I want/need fine or extra fine.

Any idea where I can find a inexpensive Fine or Extra Fin nib for the Super 21?

Will a Zebra "G" nib or another dip pen nib fit the feed?

A Zebra nib won't fit.  Is this the early version with the fat feed, or the later with the 51 style feed?  If the later, you can use a 51 nib in the pen.  The octanium nibs used in the 21 and 51 special are the same size.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens