I am a long-time fountain pen user/collector. 

i am new to forums and chat though. I hope this is the proper way to announce this new pen show.  I am excited and I don't even know where to start🙂. It will be held September 8 to 10 in Orlando Florida. I think the location is perfect. The Florida Hotel and Conference Center at the Florida Mall is located a short distance from the airport, Disney World and all the other theme parks and attractions. The room rate is $115+tax (resort fee has been waived for us) free parking.  One side of the hotel lobby opens into a large vibrant shopping mall. The hotel has agreed to allow our special show rate up to 3 days before the show and 3 days after. This means you can bring the family and enjoy a pen-cation, enjoy the show and all the area has to offer. They also will extend your stay longer at the show rate if rooms are available.

All Access Pass: This is the best deal for the serious pen enthusiast. It allows 2 people early entry to show days Fri and Sat and includes a meet, trade, sell pens and a pizza party Thurs night. Door prizes will be given out at the pizza party. It also includes a dessert party Sat night. This pass allows you meet and hang out with vendors and other serious pen people. Price is $50, if you book your 3-night hotel stay early it will be $45.  Passes will go on sale in the near future. You must book hotel room first to get discount and be eligible for door prizes.

Vendors who book hotel room early will be eligible for door prizes of their own. One lucky vendor will win their 3 -night hotel stay for free!

AT THIS TIME ONLY HOTEL ROOMS CAN BE BOOKED TO GET THE EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTS AND PRIZES LATER. PASSES AND VENDOR TABLES WILL GO ON SALE SOON.

Hotel rooms can be booked now by calling 1-800-588-4656 or clicking the link below.  A website is being developed right now you can follow Orlando Pen Show on Facebook or Instagram.

http://www.tinyurl.com/Orlando-Pen-Show-2022     

Please share this show info with all your pen friends, thank you all so much for your support!

Joe

IMG_20220110_175152335_HDR_2.jpg

Edited by Kokomo Joe

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kokomo Joe

• Parker51

• whichwatch

• Dennisb13

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to hear this, since I live around Orlando. Hasn't been a pen show here for at least 25 years. If you haven't already, I'd alert Pen World magazine and the Pennant (Pen Collectors of America). Both print listings of pen show dates. If you asked, they might also be willing to print a few paragraphs about a new show (or sell you an ad). You also might try posting in one of the pen collector groups on Facebook, such as David Isaacson's, which has 26,000 members. The sooner the better, since the mags work on advance deadlines.

Yes, I am working on exactly those things and more. I would greatly appreciate it if you would help spread the word in any groups, forums, chats etc. Thank you for your help and support! 

For years, I have attended numerous pen shows vicariously through Joe's conversations at our morning pen /cafe con leche meetings.  The social and personal meeting with other users/collectors is wonderful, and Orlando has much to offer outside of the pen show meeting.  Have booked this event!

Perk Larsen

perk.larsen@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

I understand why this new show is scheduled when it is from an availability/ cost perspective, but due to the likely weather/ humidity/ temperature, I and maybe some other northerners may skip what would otherwise be a great place for a show. If it was next week, I would be packing  for it immediately.

C'mon now, Fred.  Just because we got freezing rain, then a couple of inches of icy pellets, then up to 8 inches of snow (which is still coming down as I type), you want to head to Florida?

And here I thought it was because of the taxes.

A pen show in Orlando sounds like a great idea ANY time of year!

7 hours ago, whichwatch said:

C'mon now, Fred.  Just because we got freezing rain, then a couple of inches of icy pellets, then up to 8 inches of snow (which is still coming down as I type), you want to head to Florida?

And here I thought it was because of the taxes.

A pen show in Orlando sounds like a great idea ANY time of year!

Taxes, shmaxes, the increased cost of insurance would wipe out any tax savings for me.

The problem with September in Orlando is it is even hotter and more humid than here.

So, are you down there now?

If not, you may want to buy a couple of houses, one up near Blossom for half the year -1 day and one in Florida for half the year +1 day, and get the best of both.

1 hour ago, Parker51 said:

Taxes, shmaxes, the increased cost of insurance would wipe out any tax savings for me.

The problem with September in Orlando is it is even hotter and more humid than here.

So, are you down there now?

If not, you may want to buy a couple of houses, one up near Blossom for half the year -1 day and one in Florida for half the year +1 day, and get the best of both.

Nah - I'll stay here and soon enough become one of Intel's neighbors.  But I'm certainly up for a pen show in Orlando!  It may be hot and humid outside, but I heard somewhere that hotels have this newfangled thing called air conditioning.

4 hours ago, whichwatch said:

Nah - I'll stay here and soon enough become one of Intel's neighbors.  But I'm certainly up for a pen show in Orlando!  It may be hot and humid outside, but I heard somewhere that hotels have this newfangled thing called air conditioning.

I will think about it. We once were driving in Florida and lost air conditioning, but that would likely never happen again.

If I was in your situation I would really think about getting I nice vintage home inside the Snowbelt near the Emerald ring for a Summer place and a nice Condo in Florida for winter. 

We actually looked around Cleveland when planning on retirement when our daughter was exploring modeling and had some work there and found the houses quite reasonable and my wife liked the idea of getting a new old house to decorate. She thought Shaker Heights was nice. I am a bit sentimental regarding Burton.

Our daughter subsequently changed directions and is in Bexley with her family, including our grandson, so that idea of relocating has ended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just moved to Florida from ND, so the idea of being within driving distance of an actual pen show is amazing! Unfortunately it's probably not in the cards this year. Hopefully it does indeed become annual and I can make the next one!

September is the main month for hurricane season!

How many vendors are attending...?

Is the show Only for pens & related items.... are other items allowed...IE; restoration products, Custom knives,  watches, etc..?

Also...this show is  unfortunately only  a 2-day show....I still would have to book a room for 3 nights... If I arrive on Thursday........departing on Sunday....

I can not set up my tables until Friday morning... would there be security in the show room on Thursday?

When the show ends on Saturday.....do we have to pack up our things after the show ends at 6;pm ....

If it was a 3-day show.... it would be easier to pack after the show ended around 4;pm Sunday...and then return home.

September is the main month for hurricane season!

How many vendors are attending...?

Is the show Only for pens & related items.... are other items allowed...IE; restoration products, Custom knives,  watches, etc..?

Also...this show is  unfortunately only  a 2-day show....I still would have to book a room for 3 nights... If I arrive on Thursday........departing on Sunday....

I can not set up my tables until Friday morning... would there be security in the show room on Thursday?

When the show ends on Saturday.....do we have to pack up our things after the show ends at 6;pm ....

If it was a 3-day show.... it would be easier to pack after the show ended around 4;pm Sunday...and then return home.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I am not able to monitor and answer things on here often. It takes a lot of my time planning and putting together this event. I did call Dennis and address his concerns personally by phone. The reason we decided to go with a two day show is that from our experiences we have seen that most of the show sales and activity happens the first two days and then Sunday most of the serious buyers have already spent their money and the vendors are tired and a lot of them leave early. To address the concerns of Dennis, Thurs night is a pre-show vendors will be able to sell and mingle with all access pass holders and door prizes for vendors and all access pass holders will be given out at the pizza party that night. Any vendor who wants to set up Thurs night can do so and the ballroom will be locked. There is ample time in the morning for them to set up but either way is okay, Saturday when the show ends they can leave stuff in the ballroom until Sunday morning if they so desire. We have made it as convenient for vendors as possible and are giving out vendor door prizes which as far as I know no one else does. Yes the show is pen related items, it is after all a pen show. As far as the hurricane season well yes but they are very infrequent and in the event it did happen we would of course either refund you or allow you to carry over to the next show. Orlando is safer from hurricane's anyway, when we lived in South Florida we always evacuated to Orlando because it is in land. Anyway the chances are there but slim. The date was chosen because it is the slow tourism season and was the best time to get the great hotel rate we were able to get and other benefits like the resort fee being waived and a free 3 night stay to give away to one vendor. If anyone has questions rather than post here just contact me.  Thank You!  Joe Cortner (305)731-9630 or email contact@orlandopenshow.com 

***UPDATE

Everything is going very well, we have Coles of London, Pilot Pen USA, Federalist Pens, Sam Flax Orlando all onboard as sponsors. Many vendors are coming onboard including Kenro and Italian Pens dot com. We are almost sold out of wall tables for the main ballroom, and it is still early. There will be Visconti, Pilot, and Molteni fountain pens for door prizes (more to come) along with some ink and other goodies. Those who buy all access passes will have a chance at special door prizes. We are even giving out door prizes to vendors. We are a supporter of the Pen Collectors of America and the Pennant. We want to make this a show you will want to attend every year for many years to come. I am working hard to make this a great show and will not always be able to answer comments left here. If you need to contact me: my phone is (305)731-9630 email is: contact@orlandopenshow.com Thank you and please help spread the word about the show!

Joe