Pure Pens Barafundle

mizgeorge

Let me start by giving a warning - anyone who isn't a lover of unsaturated, wishy-washy, multichromatic inks may as well stop reading now. This ink falls into all of these categories, and I'm delighted with it.

Pure Pens have had their own small range of inks named mainly after Welsh locations, with the occasional foray into the rest of the British Isles, and Barafundle is a new addition. It's very different to anything they've offered before, which was the first surprise. I added a bottle to an order I was placing earlier this week, without particularly high expectations, and I'm absolutely delighted I did. This ink reminds very much of some of my favourite shaders from Troublemaker, Pennonia and the Sailor Manyo Line, as well as a couple of the Sailor Studios, at a fraction of the price - £7.50 for a 60ml bottle.

I thought it was going to be too pale for anything other than a very wide or flex nib, so tried it first in an Opus88 with a 1.5mm stub.

This is a lilac-leaning pale blue ink, with strong violet/pink multichromatic tones.

large.barafundle2.jpg.7d9db0140782d0fc830e96727706bfff.jpg

This first scribble is on Oxford Optik 90gsm, and the swatch is Clairfontaine 205g pure white card. The appearance is very consistent between the two.

I then tried it on Tomoe River 52g - which seemed to give a slightly lighter result. This time, I included a couple of other nib sizes - a Pelikan M200 medium and a Kanwrite EEF, as well as a vintage Brandauer Review dip pen. I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of legibility in the fine nibs.

large.barafundle1.jpg.cafde89caa8c9432e013b1f3d4952ea6.jpg

In terms of properties, 

• Flow - wet, not gushing, but almost enough to pool a little if you hesitate
  • Lubrication is moderate - there's a little bit of feedback, but that's to be expected from such a 'thin' ink
  • Bleedthrough is minimal
  • Water resistance is zero
  • Shading is high - and becomes more apparent as it dries
  • Dry time is moderate - on some papers as quick as 15 seconds, rising to 30+ on Rhodia. 

Comparisons aren't easy, these are the closest I have in terms of colour:

large.barafundle-compare.jpg.641657cf2256c85523ce572bf564f423.jpg

The closest is probably Pennonia Balaton-Kek, though Vinta Julio would be closer still if it didn't have shimmer. I was expecting it to be nearer to Troublemaker Milky Ocean, but it's much less cyan - I suspect it's half way between Milky Ocean and Foxglove - whose swatch I haven't included as it's so much more lilac.

I'll add a sample on ivory/cream paper when I can find it - I'm in the middle of a bit of desk management and rather a lot of things seem to have been temporarily mislaid...

Overall, if you're a fan of the light side of inks, this is definitely one I'd recommend. I hope they'll do more in the same vein.

large.barafundle-cu.jpg.6f82cd5e148346f95edd56746be8d4bf.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mizgeorge

• yazeh

• Tas

• PithyProlix

Thanks for the review!  It looks lovely in your photos / scans. :)  On my screen, it looks like Julio's twin.  (And now I want kek - not the ink, the dessert: 🍰 :D )

I'm hooked.  I love these wishy-washy multichromatics.   And I love this shade.   

Would you say the feel of the ink is more like Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi or Troublemaker Milky Ocean? 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

13 minutes ago, DrDebG said:

I'm hooked.  I love these wishy-washy multichromatics.   And I love this shade.   

Would you say the feel of the ink is more like Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi or Troublemaker Milky Ocean? 

Much more like the Sailor Manyo - and much less troublesome! The flow is better, and it certainly seems wetter. I need to try it in a c/c pen - which is where I have problems with Milky Ocean (and its siblings) but in an eyedropper or piston filler, it's a real pleasure to use.

I had a feeling you might like it!

Thank you for showing us this ink so well! (I like it a lot and since I also have had Llanberis Slate in mind to order I started filling my Pure Pens cart - but then I remembered I have PenBBS 408 Xiamen on order already and it looks like it might be very similar.)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

It does look very like 408, and I'll be able to confirm that when mine arrives! I'd ordered it before this one came out (it's new this week) so I'll be interested to see how close it is. 

I sure don't like wishy washy inks... but I sure love your review :thumbup: Thank you for such a detailed, elegant  review.

Truly enjoyed it :)

26 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

It does look very like 408, and I'll be able to confirm that when mine arrives! I'd ordered it before this one came out (it's new this week) so I'll be interested to see how close it is. 

I will be interested to know what you think. My bottle of 408 probably won't arrive until next month. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Thank you for the review. Very helpful! Especially the finer nibs writing samples and flow notes. All good news :)

Might make it for my first UK order after Brexit.

I am a big fan of Pure Pens inks. Celtic sea, Cwm idwal, Cadwaladr, Pendine sands and Llanberis slate are my top five.

Not sure with whom they partnered to create them, I vaguely recall somewhere a mention of “several ink makers” (or it was just my imagination?).

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

7 hours ago, MsRedpen said:

Thank you for the review. Very helpful! Especially the finer nibs writing samples and flow notes. All good news :)

Might make it for my first UK order after Brexit.

I am a big fan of Pure Pens inks. Celtic sea, Cwm idwal, Cadwaladr, Pendine sands and Llanberis slate are my top five.

Not sure with whom they partnered to create them, I vaguely recall somewhere a mention of “several ink makers” (or it was just my imagination?).

I very much enjoy some of their inks - as well as those you've already identified, Porthcurno is one I use a lot, and I highly recommend Cotswolds as a fabulous honey option. I find them extremely good value, and like being able to support a small, local business.

Love it. Multi is the word. A veer off Old Man Winter (however big the swerve). 🤤

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

On 8/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, mizgeorge said:

Thanks entirely to you, this is no longer on my "must have" list . . . 🙄

You made it look far too gorgeous 🙏

2 hours ago, Tas said:

Thanks entirely to you, this is no longer on my "must have" list . . . 🙄

You made it look far too gorgeous 🙏

Enjoy! I've been using it to doodle watercolour flowers today and it works beautifully for that too :)

On 8/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, mizgeorge said:

if you're a fan of the light side of inks, this is definitely one I'd recommend

I am a huuuuuuuuge fan of this type of ink. Sailor 123, 162, 223,  243, Manyo Haha , Pennonia Balaton-kék, love them all. This looks right up my alley.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, namrehsnoom said:

What a gorgeous ink! Thank you so much for showcasing it so beautifully. It definitely goes on the must-have list!

Let me know if you find an EU retailer for this. I haven't been able to locate one and Pure Pens doesn't believe in collecting VAT for orders outside the UK, sadly. EU import laws for Belgium, as they stand, would turn a 10€ bottle into a 35€ bottle, after tax and declaration fees. At that price, I'll still just stick with Balaton-kék. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

3 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

Let me know if you find an EU retailer for this. I haven't been able to locate one and Pure Pens doesn't believe in collecting VAT for orders outside the UK, sadly. EU import laws for Belgium, as they stand, would turn a 10€ bottle into a 35€ bottle, after tax and declaration fees. At that price, I'll still just stick with Balaton-kék. 

Or, of course, you could ask a friend to send you a bottle ;)

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Or, of course, you could ask a friend to send you a bottle ;)

Haaaaaaaaaahahaha! Are you offering? :P

My deeeeeaaaarest friend George, could you please send me a liter of Barafundle? Much obliged.

-8ngz_Sb9exLnVcrBp66Dxpc9FO_QNKgyWbsn5ft

Alas, my dear, items sent between two private persons from the UK to the EU are subject to the same customs/VAT regulations as purchases from shops, even if they are second-hand items. Madness, isn't it? I do believe that gifts up to a certain amount are exempt, but I've read that the EU is cracking down hard on those to avoid abuse after the laws came into effect this year. 

I do appreciate the gesture though. You really are very sweet. 😚

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

• 8 months later...

I wish I’d seen this review before ordering from Pure Pens. I like this type of ink. Oh well. 

I ended up ordering a 30ml bottle of Pelikan Blue Black, and the main reason I was on their website, a TWSBI Diamond 580 RBT. 

Posted Image

Thanks!  Missed this the first time around.  When I've finished the bottle of Manyo....

Add lightness and simplicate.