Your Top 5 Parker Models List?

TheRedBeard

Reviewing my Parker collection I have stumbled over a “fundamental” question “What Parker models I like/love/value the most?” and tried to compile my Top 5 list.

I have tried to avoid pragmatic reasoning behind this exercise but listened to my feelings instead :) 

At this moment, this is my Top 5 Parker models:

1. Parker 51 Aero (mid/late-50s)

2. Parker 100

3. Parker 75 (Sterling Cisele or other GP/SP-plated models of late-60s/early-70s)

4. Parker 61 (capillary filler)

5. Parker Ellipse

I am just wondering what Parker Top 5 list other FPN members may come up with? :)

Many thanks to everyone sharing his/her opinion :) 

All the best is only beginning now...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Carguy

• Penguincollector

• mitto

My top 5 would be:

#1 Parker 51
#2 Parker 100
#3 Parker 41
#4 Parker 61
#5 Parker 21

I swear this list isn't sponsored by hooded nibs - I've always liked the resistance to drying out that the hood on the nib affords, and I've found that quite useful in school or in work meetings.

#1. Parker 51 (and maybe2-5 also 😇)

#2. Parker 61

#3. Parker 21

#4. Parker 45

#5. Parker Duofold (vintage and quite subjective depending on the nib)

I just got a NOS Parker 17, which I absolutely hated. Inked it once and de-inked it immediately and put it in the sale/trade tray. Have never written with a Parker 50, but it’s on my bucket list, along with a Parker 100.

47 minutes ago, Mr Gutsy said:

My top 5 would be:

#1 Parker 51
#2 Parker 100
#3 Parker 41
#4 Parker 61
#5 Parker 21

I swear this list isn't sponsored by hooded nibs - I've always liked the resistance to drying out that the hood on the nib affords, and I've found that quite useful in school or in work meetings.

Thanks, Mr Gutsy :) 

23 minutes ago, Carguy said:

#1. Parker 51 (and maybe2-5 also 😇)

#2. Parker 61

#3. Parker 21

#4. Parker 45

#5. Parker Duofold (vintage and quite subjective depending on the nib)

I just got a NOS Parker 17, which I absolutely hated. Inked it once and de-inked it immediately and put it in the sale/trade tray. Have never written with a Parker 50, but it’s on my bucket list, along with a Parker 100.

Mike, thanks for your contribution :) 

You should definitely try P100 in a near future. They are still available NOS on your side of the pond :) 

31 minutes ago, gyasko said:

1.  Duofold (but not modern ones or Duovacs)

2. 51

3. 75

4. 50

5. Newhaven Parkers 

Thanks, Gyasko :) 

But could you, please, give us a bit of clarity on your p.5 as "Newhaven Parkers" covers quite a range of models through many years? :) 

My list is limited by my experience; I have only tried one Parker (the Urban) that is not listed here, and it's almost a tie for #5.  If I ever have a reason to buy the 45 or a Vacumatic, they may jump in the mix, too.  However, the top 3 are solid; they are my numbers 2, 3, and 5 overall, and the Falcon's beauty has to get it some love, too. 

1. 61 Capillary (fine)

2. 51 Aerometric (fine/medium)

3. ca. 2015 Sonnet (fine steel nib)

4. 50 Falcon (fine)

5. IM (probably the only time you'll see this one...)

I would be interested to see just how repetitive this list gets as more people reply; the 51, being the 61's older, less refined brother, is massively popular, though largely for good reason.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

1 - Parker 75

2 - Parker 51 (aerometric)

3 - Parker Premier (75 based)

4 - Parker 180

5 -Modern Duofold

Most of the other modern Parkers are poorly made and/or not as exceptional writers as the older models

spacer.png

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

1 hour ago, Checklist said:

My list is limited by my experience; I have only tried one Parker (the Urban) that is not listed here, and it's almost a tie for #5.  If I ever have a reason to buy the 45 or a Vacumatic, they may jump in the mix, too.  However, the top 3 are solid; they are my numbers 2, 3, and 5 overall, and the Falcon's beauty has to get it some love, too. 

1. 61 Capillary (fine)

2. 51 Aerometric (fine/medium)

3. ca. 2015 Sonnet (fine steel nib)

4. 50 Falcon (fine)

5. IM (probably the only time you'll see this one...)

I would be interested to see just how repetitive this list gets as more people reply; the 51, being the 61's older, less refined brother, is massively popular, though largely for good reason.

Thank you, Checklist. 

You will certainly find your list changed withing a few cming years after trying/using other Parkers :) 

1 hour ago, wspohn said:

1 - Parker 75

2 - Parker 51 (aerometric)

3 - Parker Premier (75 based)

4 - Parker 180

5 -Modern Duofold

Most of the other modern Parkers are poorly made and/or not as exceptional writers as the older models

spacer.png

Thank you, Bill. 

BTW, your Omegas look not bad either ;) I like that Omega models, too :) 

There are many I want to try, but here are my top 5 as of 4:47pm EDT 26 June 2021 ...

1. Vacumatic -- just beautiful and nice writers
  2. 51 -- hard to beat that nib. I oddly haven't tried an aerometric yet, but I do like the older blue diamond and sterling silver caps -- just a touch of art deco left in the modern design.
  3. 45 -- the flighter is a just right sorta pen.
  4. Challenger
  5. Parkette -- not sure why, but I just like these

75, 61, 100, 50, Duofold are on my to-write-with list

5 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thanks, Gyasko :) 

But could you, please, give us a bit of clarity on your p.5 as "Newhaven Parkers" covers quite a range of models through many years? :) 

I'm mostly into vintage German pens, but since English pens can be really nice writers, i'll give an older vintage Parker that was made in England a second look.  I wouldn't necessarily do that for an American Parker unless it had an exotic nib. 

*51 vacumatic & aerometric

*1920s-early 30s senior Duofold

*61 cartridge-converter filler

*Vacumatic Oversize

*Premier - the older 75-type version

1) Vintage (1929s - 1930s) Duofolds,

2) Newhaven Duofolds), 

3) Vacumatics

4) 51s (both vacs and aeros) 

5) 75s and Premiers

6) 61s.

7) Depression Era pens

Khan M. Ilyas

Hmm... Initially I thought that I didn't have that many different models of Parker pens, but here it goes, in order of personal preference (again like already mentioned, the hooded pens seem preferred because they work best, out in the wild):

Parker "51" Vacumatic (I love the Parker "51" and greatly appreciate the ink capacity of the Vac models).

Parker "51" Aerometric

Parker 45  I have yet to find one with anything other than a smooth writing nib

Parker 21 Super (I have two and love them both)

Parker Vacumatic (I have only the one, a 1946 with factory medium stub nib)

Honorable Mention:

Parker Parkette

Fifth Avenue (This being a "stealth" Parker from the pit of the Great Depression, actually writes OK if properly tweaked).

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

20 hours ago, g33klibrarian said:

There are many I want to try, but here are my top 5 as of 4:47pm EDT 26 June 2021 ...

1. Vacumatic -- just beautiful and nice writers
  2. 51 -- hard to beat that nib. I oddly haven't tried an aerometric yet, but I do like the older blue diamond and sterling silver caps -- just a touch of art deco left in the modern design.
  3. 45 -- the flighter is a just right sorta pen.
  4. Challenger
  5. Parkette -- not sure why, but I just like these

75, 61, 100, 50, Duofold are on my to-write-with list

Thank you. 

It will be interesting to see your opinion after trying all those other Parkers :) 

19 hours ago, gyasko said:

I'm mostly into vintage German pens, but since English pens can be really nice writers, i'll give an older vintage Parker that was made in England a second look.  I wouldn't necessarily do that for an American Parker unless it had an exotic nib. 

I see... I like England-made Parkers, too, but, ironically,  my favourite Fine nib is the US one on my P75... 

17 hours ago, Barry Gabay said:

*51 vacumatic & aerometric

*1920s-early 30s senior Duofold

*61 cartridge-converter filler

*Vacumatic Oversize

*Premier - the older 75-type version

Thanks, Barry :) 

8 hours ago, mitto said:

1) Vintage (1929s - 1930s) Duofolds,

2) Newhaven Duofolds), 

3) Vacumatics

4) 51s (both vacs and aeros) 

5) 75s and Premiers

6) 61s.

7) Depression Era pens

Thank you, Mitto, for your extended list :)