EFNIR: Noodler's FPN Van Gogh Starry Night Blue

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Noodler's FPN Van Gogh Starry Night Blue

This is review #74 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Couldn't really get the color right in the zoom - the ink photographs as black, basically, except the smear.  Cleaning was fairly easy, but the black component (the part that appears to be water-resistant) tried to cling to the inside of the section.  Pen flush or a cotton swab or similar may be needed to fully remove this component (or the next ink you use might wash it through unnoticed).

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.NoodlersFPNVanGoghStarryNightBlue.jpg.890339b4143a83080f4f5161885d97ea.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.NoodlersFPNVanGoghStarryNightBlueZ.jpg.6d8cb19130834742688aa9eab0f959d2.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Kobe #28 Lily of the Valley Green.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• GardenWeasel

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful review as usual. 

This looks like truly a delightful beautiful colour and the name reminds of Don McLean's lyrical song, which gives it even more gravitas. :)

GardenWeasel

Great review!  I’ll comment that this ink I consider one of my best inks.  Works well in a variety of pens, and is the yardstick I measure other inks against. For my needs, it’s a near perfect ink. Thanks!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Wonderful review as usual. 

This looks like truly a delightful beautiful colour and the name reminds of Don McLean's lyrical song, which gives it even more gravitas. :)

:) Thank you! 

1 hour ago, GardenWeasel said:

Great review!  I’ll comment that this ink I consider one of my best inks.  Works well in a variety of pens, and is the yardstick I measure other inks against. For my needs, it’s a near perfect ink. Thanks!

Thank you. I agree, this is a good one. I hope FPN are able to restock their inks.

mizgeorge

Lovely review - thank you (as always). I'm still not tempted by Noodlers inks though!

4 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Lovely review - thank you (as always). I'm still not tempted by Noodlers inks though!

Thank you. :)

3 hours ago, RJS said:

FPN commissioned some inks? I missed that announcement....

Seems they did that a long time ago.

inkstainedruth

It was several years ago.  I think there were three different Noodler's exclusive colors -- this one, a brown and I forget what the last one was, something pink or magenta, IIRC.  I was still fairly new to FPN so I didn't get around to trying to order this one or the brown (which was called something or other Manuscript Brown).  And of course am kicking myself now.

They were sold as a fundraiser to help support the site.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Beautiful color, and you know I love your reviews, but long dry times rule this out for a southpaw overwriter.  I have enough trouble with 'normal' inks on TR paper!  

I found it had really fast dry time on my HP 24lb Laser paper, but on Rhodia and TR, yeah, awful. Anyhoo, it's a moot point since the inks ain't coming back soon.

1 hour ago, namrehsnoom said:

Nice one. Unobtainium, so the only place to get a feel for it is in a review like yours. So, double thank you!

:)  You're most welcome.   I was fortunate to receive a sample of this as a gift from another FPNer.

white_lotus

This ink and the Dumas' Tulipe Noire are great. I'm fortunate to have a bottle of each.

I don't think we'll ever see them again. I say that because they haven't been available for several years now.

5 hours ago, white_lotus said:

This ink and the Dumas' Tulipe Noire are great.

I've got Tulipe Noire, too, so I guess that'll be another torture video at some point. :D