Where are the Vintage Esterbrook fans?

corgicoupe

I like the style of the vintages, want to try one(*eventually, someday*) but I do get concerned over the maintaince\upkeep of those pens. 

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

• corgicoupe

• Estycollector

4 hours ago, Rosendust said:

I like the style of the vintages, want to try one(*eventually, someday*) but I do get concerned over the maintaince\upkeep of those pens. 

For what it is worth, this is probably one of the easiest pens to maintain and restore.

A heat-gun to get it open, a sac and some shellac to keep it going, and a wide selection of nibs to suit your preferences, is pretty much all it takes.

Thank you! @Carguyand @ruby.monkey.

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

@Rosendust

start here :)

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/resac.htm

as stated above, esterbrooks are tough and reliable. And easy to service. Great pens!

and if you’re not feeling the itch to restore one, Ron has one for sale

https://www.mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm

good luck 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

22 hours ago, Rosendust said:

I have only 4 vintage Esterbrooks, two SJs and LJ and a 1937 "Dollar Pen."  I would probably not be restoring Parkers, Sheaffers, Majestics, and other vintage pens were it not for my experience with the Esterbrooks.  They truly are the most straight forward to re-sac (it is nearly always a number 16 sac) and the interchangeable nibs make them highly versatile.  In terms of overall "look," they may be somewhat tame compared to the celluloid pens of the 30s and 40s but they make up for it in solid construction and dependability.  Unless someone glued the section with superglue, epoxy, or nail polish, they are quite easy to service and keep in good repair.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

On 10/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, Bristol24 said:

In terms of overall "look," they may be somewhat tame compared to the celluloid pens of the 30s and 40s but they make up for it in solid construction and dependability.  Unless someone glued the section with superglue, epoxy, or nail polish, they are quite easy to service and keep in good repair.

I agree that they are great pens and tend to agree with nearly all of your points. Their shortcoming is in the clip-jewel assembly, especially as they are so often found with damaged clips and jewels. Parker was a true standout in the construction of their pens: from the start, they could be taken apart easily because if it wasn't threaded, it was a simple friction-fit. I expect the expense would have been minimal for Esterbrook to have used a threaded assembly for the clip and jewel and repairs would be so much easier today.

Just my tuppence ha'penny.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, Rosendust said:

Minimal upkeep and you can get multiple for the cost of a new one. Almost to the point of the originals bring disposable by price comparison. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

1 hour ago, crescentfiller said:

I agree that they are great pens and tend to agree with nearly all of your points. Their shortcoming is in the clip-jewel assembly, especially as they are so often found with damaged clips and jewels. Parker was a true standout in the construction of their pens: from the start, they could be taken apart easily because if it wasn't threaded, it was a simple friction-fit. I expect the expense would have been minimal for Esterbrook to have used a threaded assembly for the clip and jewel and repairs would be so much easier today.

I cannot agree with you more.  I have been collecting the lowly Parker Parkettes and even they are made in such a way that they are easily repaired (except for those "serviced" by Bozo, the pen repair guy).  I generally like the Esterbrooks for the way they perform but I have to admit that they have never had "the look" of other pens within their price range.  They perform as designed and have such a broad selection of nibs but they are never going to grab someone's eye.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

21 hours ago, crescentfiller said:

The transitional J pens did use a threaded cap jewel.  The issue with the later J series was that the material used for the jewels is really brittle and unforgiving.  Coupled with the fact that the brass grommet used to secure the clip, and you do have a recipe for disaster.   A lot of the Esterbrooks I come across with loose clips comes from a brass grommet that has split.
I have reproduction jewels made for all these pens that are made from acetal, and are much more forgiving when dropped.

On 10/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Bristol24 said:

I generally like the Esterbrooks for the way they perform but I have to admit that they have never had "the look" of other pens within their price range.  They perform as designed and have such a broad selection of nibs but they are never going to grab someone's eye.

So, I'm quoting myself.  I just ran across a guy with 11 vintage pens including a blue Esterbrook J, a late 30s dollar pen, an Esterbrook Safari, and a 1936 Parkette Deluxe missing the cap bands.  There were 3 truly junk pens and 4 1960s vintage Sheaffer cartridge fill pens.  I offered him $28 and he accepted...so now I will be restoring 3 more Esterbrooks to add to my collection.  I don't know what I will do with the rest... probably sell the decent ones and part out the junkers.

Cliff

40 minutes ago, Bristol24 said:

So, I'm quoting myself.  I just ran across a guy with 11 vintage pens including a blue Esterbrook J, a late 30s dollar pen, an Esterbrook Safari, and a 1936 Parkette Deluxe missing the cap bands.  There were 3 truly junk pens and 4 1960s vintage Sheaffer cartridge fill pens.  I offered him $28 and he accepted...so now I will be restoring 3 more Esterbrooks to add to my collection.  I don't know what I will do with the rest... probably sell the decent ones and part out the junkers.

Cliff

Cool.  You can consider the junkers, the Sheaffers, and maybe even the Parkette as freebies at that price.

What are the nibs on the Esties?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, Bristol24 said:

Cliff

Great deal!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

47 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Great deal!

Yeah, that's what I think, too.  I was not looking for Esterbrooks.  They're not even on my radar but the Dollar pen and J are truly part of fountain pen history from the golden age of fountain pens.  They are right in there with Flat Top and Balance Shaffers, Vacumatics and the like... different tiers of course but all parts of that period.

Cliff

I’m wanting to acquire a blue flat bottom “transitional Esterbrook. If you want to part with it, please let me know.

Mike

6 hours ago, Carguy said:

I’m wanting to acquire a blue flat bottom “transitional Esterbrook. If you want to part with it, please let me know.

Mike

I may have one.

4 minutes ago, gweimer1 said:

I may have one.

You should do stand up. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, inkstainedruth said:

Cool.  You can consider the junkers, the Sheaffers, and maybe even the Parkette as freebies at that price.

What are the nibs on the Esties?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, I'm sorry.  I didn't see your question.  The three Esties are a Blue SJ with a 2668 nib, a light Blue Safari with a 1551 nib and a Black model "B" "Dollar Pen" also with a 2668 nib.  The nib/section from the "B" spent the better part of 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner before the blockage in the feed broke free.  That didn't happen until I had increased the ammonia to a little over 10%.  I installed a new sac and I must say that this humble "B" writes like a dream.  It is a bit of a wet writer so it certainly has a "lubricated" feel on paper.  My wife was quite impressed with it and I feel as though I certainly did get a good buy.  BTW, I have another Dollar Pen en route to me as I write this.  Hopefully it, too, will be a good writer.

Cliff