What planner/diary are you using for 2021?

arcfide

What planner or diary are you using for 2021? Multiples? 

For 2021, I've decided to dive headlong into the Jibun Techo from Kokuyo. What's everyone else doing? Do you mostly do digital? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParramattaPaul

• arcfide

• wallylynn

• ridiculopathy

I’m sticking to my tried and true Franklin planner....I have tons of other notebooks that I write in also but this planner has always been my go-to.

I made my own leporello folded planner 2019-2021. Fits perfectly into an old cover I still got from the 80s.

I was my usual cheapskate self, and got a purse-size weekly planner at the local Dollar Tree.  I like that the Monday to Friday boxes are big enough to have several entries if necessary, and that the layout is double-spread, week by week (interestingly, because January 1 is on a Friday, the first set of pages show the last few days of December as well) 

I'd like it a bit better if the Saturday and Sunday boxes were a bit bigger.  But you know, for a buck plus sales tax I'll make do. :rolleyes:  This past year's was blue.  the 2021 will be pink because I didn't have a lot of choice.  

Any pages that don't end up with entries on either side of the pages get recycled for things like shopping lists, notations of stuff in cases in antiques malls, and so on.  And of course, for on car trips, the "license plate game" (i.e., keeping track of how many different states' -- and provinces', although I haven't seen too many of those since the pandemic -- license plates I see on cars; trailers or commercial plates don't count, and the ones for the state I'm currently in don't count either).  It's a little different from what some friends of mine used to do years ago, where the plates for  surrounding/nearby states don't count.  I will count them, but I don't count all the different plates that some states have.  It passes the time, especially when my husband is driving (when I'm alone in the car I have to keep track of them in my head until I get to someplace I can pull over).  And parked cars in rest areas, restaurants, and at hotels also count, as long as they're out of state for the current location.  In the past, the best spotting tended to be over Thanksgiving weekend, with all those people driving to NYC to see the Macy's Parade (especially if someone's kid is in one of the marching bands).

The weirdest ones I've ever seen (and of course not any time over the past couple of years) were Hawaii and Guam.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

as newly retired I realized that by not sitting in front of my computer all day I had become unorganized.  Looked carefully for the one that was just right I landed on the new Note 21 from quo vadis.  It's a 16 month planner so I started using it in September and was the first time I'd used a written planner for well over 10 years.   It's perfect... absolutely perfect.  A5 with a weekly calendar on the verso and to-dos and reminders on the recto.  

8 hours ago, Carguy said:

I’m sticking to my tried and true Franklin planner....I have tons of other notebooks that I write in also but this planner has always been my go-to.

Me too. I started using it January 1986. Still have them all....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I bought a bargain Filofax from eBay which arrived today.  Once I replace the 2002 diary I'm good to go!

I've found some templates on the Philofaxy blog, so the diary will cost me the cost of paper and ink to print.  

Hobonichi Techo Planner (the A6 size).  I've been using them since 2018 and they work really well for my needs - enough to justify the cost.

I use the Hobonichi Cousin, although more as a basic journal than as a planner. I just ‘love’ the quality of the paper.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Moleskine 2021 Daily Diary in A5.  Has a full page for every day of the year and monthly calendars.  My second year with the Moleskine Daily Diary.

I tried Hobonichi Cousin in A5 for a few years, but found I only used the daily pages and the monthly calendar.  Never used the other features (they almost seemed too much at times) which led me to search for an alternative planner with the page a day and the monthly calendar format I like.

Before that I tried to Bullet Journal with Rhodia Meeting Books for a couple of years, worked well enough but I got tired of having to re-write the monthly information each month and I like having pre-printed page a day for future planning.  

47 minutes ago, Tasmith said:

Never used the other features ....

... I got tired of having to re-write the monthly information each month and I like having pre-printed page a day for future planning.

IMO, this is the key to picking "the right planner" - examine the features and figure out what you'll really use / need.  When I started doing the whole "bullet journal" thing, I used a blank Leuchtturm dot grid.  By the time it was nearly full (end of 2017), I knew what I would and wouldn't do, what I did and didn't like doing, and how much space I needed for a day.  This led me to try the Hobonichi A6, and it's perfect for me.  Here's why (from a recent reddit discussion about this), just in case it helps anyone...

• I got tired of doing my own calendars and such in a blank A5 dot grid notebook.
  • I use the vertical calendars at the front (2 months per page, one row per day) as a habit tracker - works for me, but may not work for how you track habits.
  • I use the more normal calendars (1 month on 2 pages) for scheduling and for noting occurrence of rare events that I still want to be able to look up (when was the last time....).
  • I use the "Turning the page to a new year" pages to list all the books I read during the year (just date finished, author and title).
  • I use the daily pages for tracking my day (events, meals, notes, etc.). I also use them for scheduling and to record day-specific to-dos - usually as a checkbox at the bottom of the page.
  • I use the dot grid pages at the back for my ink log.
  • I have no earthly idea what to do with the new "My 100" part (2 pages). The lines are too small for me to do anything with (in English).

I'm continuing my Muji A5 spiral.  Just a subset of Bullet Journaling that's useful to me: the planner and some record keeping.  Notes go in a different book.  My life is uneventful that I don't need daily or even weekly, just some reminders like pay bill.

I might start a new book for habits+mental health.  That goes into a trio of books I picked up at Flying Tiger.  The art/design was too cute, and too on point.

Edit:  Oh no!  Flying Tiger closed all their stores :(

I’m going with the Midori Datebook in B6 size next year.

I’ve tried the Hobonichi Techo (I prefer a weekly format), Traveler’s Notebook Planner (doesn’t lay flat easily), Kokuyo Jibun Techo (having the week on one page and a blank notes page on the other is a better format for me), and Hobonichi Weeks (despite all the Tomoe River notebooks I have, I prefer a thicker paper).

The Midori Datebook looks promising—the monthly calendars are right before their respective weekly pages, each month is easily reached by tab, and the cat design is super fun and cute! The only downside from first inspection is that there’s only 1 ribbon bookmark, but I have paper darts.

13 hours ago, ridiculopathy said:

I’m going with the Midori Datebook in B6 size next year.

I’ve tried the Hobonichi Techo (I prefer a weekly format), Traveler’s Notebook Planner (doesn’t lay flat easily), Kokuyo Jibun Techo (having the week on one page and a blank notes page on the other is a better format for me), and Hobonichi Weeks (despite all the Tomoe River notebooks I have, I prefer a thicker paper).

The Midori Datebook looks promising—the monthly calendars are right before their respective weekly pages, each month is easily reached by tab, and the cat design is super fun and cute! The only downside from first inspection is that there’s only 1 ribbon bookmark, but I have paper darts.

Since you like the week on one page format with thicker paper, have the Rhodia Web planners appealed to you at all? 

A couple of years ago I bought a 2019 Moleskine Daily Planner in Le Petit Prince theme (pocket-size).  As Tasmith mentioned, the Moleskine Daily has a full page for each day, which provides a great deal of writing space even in the pocket edition.  But more than that I love the smooth paper, which feels smoother than other Moleskine papers that I've used.  I just bought another Moleskine planner, hoping for the same experience.  (I haven't broken the seal yet, so it has yet to be tested.)  Has anyone else found the Moleskine planners to have smoother paper than the notebooks?

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

I found a 1999 American Express appointment book, 2021 dates match!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

15 minutes ago, OCArt said:

I found a 1999 American Express appointment book, 2021 dates match!

Just noticed that my favorite 2010 calendar does the same. I love when that happens!

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Leuchterm 1917 Weekly Planner.  There are several versions; I like the one that has one week spread across the open pages, with Mon, Tue, Wed, on the left, Thu, Fri, Sat/Sun on the right.

Midori MD Note Diary shinsho size.

Dissatisfied about having to write my own dates (already had misnumbered date), and would prefer if the notes pages are grid (which unfortunately only available in A5 size, and less pages) because the rules are too wide for me. But the size is probably enough because I didn't write a lot last year. Still trying out how I will layout the pages for now.

Ca.Crie notebook for all the extra writings.